SKSE

Lodbrok

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, Nexus Mod Manager for SE is up. Mod Organizer 2 has a plugin to work with SSE. What is going to hold mods up is waiting for SKSE64. As a programmer, I have some idea of what they have to do and all I can say is don't go holding your breath, we'd hate to hear of your demise. :confused:

I won't even venture a guess how long, it would depend on how many working on it and how it was written in the 1st place. I seriously doubt before the end of November(tho I could be wrong).

http://skse.silverlock.org/SKSE64FirstRun.jpg

Progress is being made and we traditionally show an image the first time we get the game hooked and the GetXXXVersion function working properly. I reached that stage last night.

There is obviously still a ton of work to do - but this proves that our basic techniques will be able to accomplish the task.

Wow, I wasnt expecting to hear such optimistic news so soon, I was actually kinda resigning myself, that maybe this could take over a year to do, but I'm glad to see you guys already having positive results. Can't wait, and kudos! <3

Also another question if you dont mind me asking... but, as long as SKSE64 is able to implement the exact same functions, with the exact same parameters and "output", as the normal SKSE, wouldn't a mod like SkyUI just work the same, since it doesn't rely on any SKSE plugin? I mean I get that SKSE plugins need to be recompiled, but AFAIK, SkyUI doesnt have any, right?
Edited by Hyperplexed

There is a new beta build of SkyrimSE (1.1.51). There are minor modifications to the exe and a bunch of changes to audio files. As far as SKSE64 is concerned the biggest thing is that the beta still has the Edit and Continue jump tables which make our job a bit harder. This redirects every function through an extra indirection. This means code is not as obvious as we investigate, and hurts performance generally. It also means we have to manually update anything we find, rather than being able to use some of our tools to help do the updating.

Also another question if you dont mind me asking... but, as long as SKSE64 is able to implement the exact same functions, with the exact same parameters and "output", as the normal SKSE, wouldn't a mod like SkyUI just work the same, since it doesn't rely on any SKSE plugin? I mean I get that SKSE plugins need to be recompiled, but AFAIK, SkyUI doesnt have any, right?

In theory you are correct. If we implement the same APIs (which is our intention) then any SKSE Papyrus users should not need to change their scripts. SkyUI will hopefully just work as well if we make the same changes to the Scaleform APIs it is expecting. But we will not know for certain until we get a little further along.

There is a new beta build of SkyrimSE (1.1.51). There are minor modifications to the exe and a bunch of changes to audio files. As far as SKSE64 is concerned the biggest thing is that the beta still has the Edit and Continue jump tables which make our job a bit harder. This redirects every function through an extra indirection. This means code is not as obvious as we investigate, and hurts performance generally. It also means we have to manually update anything we find, rather than being able to use some of our tools to help do the updating.

In theory you are correct. If we implement the same APIs (which is our intention) then any SKSE Papyrus users should not need to change their scripts. SkyUI will hopefully just work as well if we make the same changes to the Scaleform APIs it is expecting. But we will not know for certain until we get a little further along.

Thank you so much for doing this for us Hippo. You are the SSE savior!

Sounds like the sooner they (Bethesda) get done twiddling with the build the better. Thanks for all your hard work!

Just wanted to chime in with my support and respect for the undertaking! I must have started using OBSE when I was thirteen and the Elder Scrolls have stayed my favorite games ever since thanks in large part to your contributions to the modding community. The urge to throw money at you is strong, but I understand why you can't accept. I'm terribly curious about the details of the process, but I'll just close with good luck and God speed!

P.S. Would a beer receptacle in the form of a PO Box count as a loophole for corporate legal mumbo jumbo?

I thought 3/4 of Skyrim mods is boobs?

that was sarcasm

Seriously, I don't know what mods depend on what functions, I know that HDT character mods depend on SKSE to enable it so I used that as an example. I imagine there are some functions that are more widely used than other, so basically I was wondering if it's possible to get out first those functions that would unlock the most mods.

"that's not how any of this works" is a perfectly acceptable answer :)