We have a name! And a Q&A session with Tannin regarding the new mod manager.

Dark0ne

Stumbled upon Mod Organizer (and Nexus) a few years ago while following the modding suggestions of STEP and Gopher.

Have been a happy user ever since and looking forward to Vortex.

Don't feel strongly pro/contra virtualization (technique) if game installs can easily be reverted to vanilla again (which the purge feature seems to address).

IMO usability and polish should always be prioritized over feature creep and rushed releases.

Thanks Team Vortex for your efforts and keeping us spoiled brats up-to-date. ;-)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a relief to hear virtualization will be used in Vortex!

I am one of those people who makes heavy use of mods (200+). And I like to change them frequently. Using MO for Skyrim meant fewer game re-installations to make the game launchable again. I still use MO with Skyrim32 and Oblivion.

For Skyrim SE I use Wrye Bash. I have become more comfortable and confident using it, but so far I have had to do a re-install to clean up the mess I made. Going forward, I intend to use Skyrim32 as my test bed except in cases where a mod is not available in an S32 version.

If you are looking for someone to test Vortex who knows just enough to get himself in trouble, I hope you will consider me.

This is a great thing you are doing.

I had a few questions on things, and also I want to see if I can become a tester for Vortex at some point, please. And thank you.

First question: can I migrate my profiles, mods, and even merged mods from Mod Organizer and MO 2 to Vortex?

Second question: Would I need to install it once, and use it on all my games, or would I need to install it for each game like I do for Mod Organizer/MO2?

Third question: Would it pick up the tools I already, or add in like I do for MO/MO2? Or even have some built in?

I do want to say thank you to Tannin for his amazing work on MO and MO2, and the new Vortex, so far, and from what I hear. Thank you for you time, and perhaps some of my answers. Unless they have been answered already, and I missed them.

In response to post #50261022. #50718447, #50727542, #50742147 are all replies on the same post.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

yeah MO users are not quiet. also many are very aggressive in their views on NMM and often behave like their manager is superior due to it being more complicated.

ContessaR wrote: In actual use it's not more complicated and it's actually easier to use than NMM once you understand how to do the basic things. It is superior for a lot of people and that's not something that will change.
J.O.D. wrote: MO is not complicated (except for BSA extraction E.T.). I loved it. But I can live without it and expect to fall in love with Vortex, when time comes. In fact, no mod manager is complicated, they are just different.
TheInquizitor wrote: MO is superior due to it being better in every possible way lol. Check boxes to disable/enable mods, changing file priority just by moving them up or down the list, having a file explorer of sorts built right into it. There is nothing NMM currently does better than MO.

<TheInquizitor> While i agree that MO is indeed better and more versatile, NMM has had the ability to do most of those thing for a good while, so it grinds my gears to have people use those as a reason for MO's (subjective) superiority. Less ancient code and more certain installation(that manual installation alone is a treat) are still some of the reasons to use MO over NMM.

In response to post #50261022. #50718447, #50727542, #50742147, #50940552 are all replies on the same post.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

yeah MO users are not quiet. also many are very aggressive in their views on NMM and often behave like their manager is superior due to it being more complicated.

ContessaR wrote: In actual use it's not more complicated and it's actually easier to use than NMM once you understand how to do the basic things. It is superior for a lot of people and that's not something that will change.
J.O.D. wrote: MO is not complicated (except for BSA extraction E.T.). I loved it. But I can live without it and expect to fall in love with Vortex, when time comes. In fact, no mod manager is complicated, they are just different.
TheInquizitor wrote: MO is superior due to it being better in every possible way lol. Check boxes to disable/enable mods, changing file priority just by moving them up or down the list, having a file explorer of sorts built right into it. There is nothing NMM currently does better than MO.
qwormuli wrote: <TheInquizitor> While i agree that MO is indeed better and more versatile, NMM has had the ability to do most of those thing for a good while, so it grinds my gears to have people use those as a reason for MO's (subjective) superiority. Less ancient code and more certain installation(that manual installation alone is a treat) are still some of the reasons to use MO over NMM.

people like TheInquizitor are exactly who i refer to.

In response to post #50261022. #50718447, #50727542, #50742147, #50940552, #50944132 are all replies on the same post.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

qwormuli wrote: <TheInquizitor> While i agree that MO is indeed better and more versatile, NMM has had the ability to do most of those thing for a good while, so it grinds my gears to have people use those as a reason for MO's (subjective) superiority. Less ancient code and more certain installation(that manual installation alone is a treat) are still some of the reasons to use MO over NMM.
qwertyzeldar wrote: people like TheInquizitor are exactly who i refer to.

maybe one day they will both be as good as Wrye Bash ;)

In response to post #50261022. #50718447, #50727542, #50742147, #50940552, #50944132, #50952927 are all replies on the same post.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

qwertyzeldar wrote: people like TheInquizitor are exactly who i refer to.
Grimblight wrote: maybe one day they will both be as good as Wrye Bash ;)

@Grimblight Well, despite stating I loved MO, Wrye Bash is my choice for Fallout 4 and SSE and I have started with it in time of Oblivion.

I hope this hasn't been asked/answered before. I couldn't find it using the forum search. Will Vortex be able to do things like merge aspects of esp's into something like a bashed patch they way Wrye Bash does, or have some sort of similar feature to reduce the number of esp's?

Thanks for your hard work on this!

Edited by RavenMind

In response to post #50976092.

RavenMind wrote:

I hope this hasn't been asked/answered before. I couldn't find it using the forum search. Will Vortex be able to do things like merge esp's into something like a bashed patch they way Wrye Bash does, or have some sort of similar feature to reduce the number of esp's?

Thanks for your hard work on this!

Really hope not. That is not the job of a mod manager. And you can already do that with proper, dedicated tools.