⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

The Great Thumbnail Rebuild

MrMason

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902 are all replies on the same post.

Faelrin wrote: I don't use 16:9 to play my games, so now all my image thumbnails look weird. Will it be like this on the new site (aka the transparency around the images if not in that resolution)? I'm just really wondering how bad the images will display on the new site if I don't use that format. If I absolutely have too I can, it's just a pain for me (I can explain why, if anyone wants to know). Though I understand this is a standard format for most things these days.
DaddyDirection wrote: I'm curious. Why do you not play in 16:9?
ToxicInfinity wrote: Probably just doesn't have a 16:9 monitor. Though I have no clue since I don't know him/her personally :P
DaddyDirection wrote: Certainly a possibility.
Galvon94 wrote: I don't know about Faelrin, but for the last few years I've been enjoying 16:10(I know it's really 8:5, but nobody calls it that) monitors. I much prefer the ratio, it's good for web browsing, watching old 4:3 movies and TV programmes, and a lot of other applications benefit from a taller display. 16:9 feels odd to me now.
Faelrin wrote: Sorry for the late response. My current laptop is in fact 16:9 (1366x768), but the reason it is such a pain for me to play games on that is because of my bad right eye, and so most of what's on the right side of the screen I don't really see well. Like I said, I can use the format if absolutely necessary, it's just a bit harder since I primarily see out of my left eye (which is of course the stronger eye). I tend to play in a 4:3 resolution or a custom setup that's slightly wider all depending on the game of course.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432 are all replies on the same post.

Faelrin wrote: I don't use 16:9 to play my games, so now all my image thumbnails look weird. Will it be like this on the new site (aka the transparency around the images if not in that resolution)? I'm just really wondering how bad the images will display on the new site if I don't use that format. If I absolutely have too I can, it's just a pain for me (I can explain why, if anyone wants to know). Though I understand this is a standard format for most things these days.
ToxicInfinity wrote: Probably just doesn't have a 16:9 monitor. Though I have no clue since I don't know him/her personally :P
Galvon94 wrote: I don't know about Faelrin, but for the last few years I've been enjoying 16:10(I know it's really 8:5, but nobody calls it that) monitors. I much prefer the ratio, it's good for web browsing, watching old 4:3 movies and TV programmes, and a lot of other applications benefit from a taller display. 16:9 feels odd to me now.
Faelrin wrote: Sorry for the late response. My current laptop is in fact 16:9 (1366x768), but the reason it is such a pain for me to play games on that is because of my bad right eye, and so most of what's on the right side of the screen I don't really see well. Like I said, I can use the format if absolutely necessary, it's just a bit harder since I primarily see out of my left eye (which is of course the stronger eye). I tend to play in a 4:3 resolution or a custom setup that's slightly wider all depending on the game of course.
DaddyDirection wrote: Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Thumbs up for 16:10. Unfortunately just about every monitor and laptop available these days is 16:9. The few 16:10 monitors are expensive, and I haven't seen a 16:10 laptop in ages.

Hmm I use a 21:9 monitor! I hope the new site layout can accommodate those of us with fancy screens. At the moment I get wallpaper either side, which works well for me. Edited by BlueGunk

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432, #50411567 are all replies on the same post.

jhelzei wrote: Thumbs up for 16:10. Unfortunately just about every monitor and laptop available these days is 16:9. The few 16:10 monitors are expensive, and I haven't seen a 16:10 laptop in ages.

We make one useful set of eyes, my left eye is useless. I suppose if you're a glass-half-empty type, we also make one blind person.

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432, #50411567, #50421772 are all replies on the same post.

jhelzei wrote: Thumbs up for 16:10. Unfortunately just about every monitor and laptop available these days is 16:9. The few 16:10 monitors are expensive, and I haven't seen a 16:10 laptop in ages.
GermRillian wrote: We make one useful set of eyes, my left eye is useless. I suppose if you're a glass-half-empty type, we also make one blind person.

16:9 is a fading aspect ratio.

21:9 is the future.

RIP the 16:10 PC aspect ratio. Maybe one day we'll get 21:10 for proper support of everything.

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432, #50411567, #50421772, #50467212 are all replies on the same post.

GermRillian wrote: We make one useful set of eyes, my left eye is useless. I suppose if you're a glass-half-empty type, we also make one blind person.
DAOWAce wrote: 16:9 is a fading aspect ratio.

RIP the 16:10 PC aspect ratio. Maybe one day we'll get 21:10 for proper support of everything.

The Steam Hardware Survey disagrees with you.

I have 16:10 Dell's at home and 16:9 Dell's in the office -- you get used to it pretty quickly. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432, #50411567, #50421772, #50467212, #50467867 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

I have 16:10 Dell's at home and 16:9 Dell's in the office -- you get used to it pretty quickly.

Because surveys are reliable....

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432, #50411567, #50421772, #50467212, #50467867, #50474667 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

I have 16:10 Dell's at home and 16:9 Dell's in the office -- you get used to it pretty quickly.
Keksalot wrote: Because surveys are reliable....

How about our own site stats then? Which paint the exact same picture, and are reliable.

In response to post #50331052. #50346087, #50349212, #50352762, #50354897, #50396902, #50400432, #50411567, #50421772, #50467212, #50467867, #50474667, #50476632 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

Keksalot wrote: Because surveys are reliable....
Dark0ne wrote: How about our own site stats then? Which paint the exact same picture, and are reliable.

Those surveys are definitely more reliable than your out-of-ass statistics and predictions.