An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

wtf is "Vortex?" I'm guessing from the comments it's some sort of mod manager? And if so, unless it can do everything and give me all the power that Wyre Bash can, then I personally have no use for it.

Perhaps a small aside at the beginning of articles to let people know what you are talking about - ie, "Vortex" means nothing to me however, "Vortex, the mod manager we've been working on" helps a lot.

That being said, keep up the good work?

Edited by 1000101

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55066558.

1000101 wrote: wtf is "Vortex?" I'm guessing from the comments it's some sort of mod manager? And if so, unless it can do everything and give me all the power that Wyre Bash can, then I personally have no use for it.
Perhaps a small aside at the beginning of articles to let people know what you are talking about - ie, "Vortex" means nothing to me however, "Vortex, the mod manager we've been working on" helps a lot.

Wouldn't hurt reading a bit

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/13257

In response to post #55023428. #55028243, #55028883, #55030358, #55063573, #55066428 are all replies on the same post.

RJ the Shadow wrote: I'm annoyed and impatient. But I've been waiting for what, a year now? Longer? Do I even know at this point?

Just make sure it works well and it's fabulous, because I've been holding off on regular modding for a very long time now in anticipation (would've appreciated a warning that it'd take this long beforehand tbh, but hindsight is what it is I suppose) and while the opportunity has been invaluable in me exploring a vast amount of other games (even recently finished MGS: Twin Snakes), I'd like to be able to soon-ish test out whether modded Beth games are the kind of content that'll fit on my Twitch streams.

I'm a mod junky and I've been surviving on minor dosages for a long while now. But if it works well and it manages to do (and perhaps more than) what Mod Organizer did, the wait will all be worth it for me. I know this whole writing is a little self-centered but seriously dudes...

...I want my fix
Loveblanket wrote: Entitled much?
Timmhaze wrote: Don't know if you've ever done any amount of formal work on a project of this scale but it takes a serious amount of time, troubleshooting and fixing. This isn't some overnight job the Nexus team is working on, its merging bleedin' NMM and MO (as far as I can tell).
Be patient, lose the entitled attitude and release day will fly up, whenever it may be. Remember, all of this is being given to us for free.
Augusta Calidia wrote: "I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed! A heavy weight of hours has chained and bowed." (Excerpt from "Ode to the West Wind" by Percy Bysshe Shelley).
RJ the Shadow wrote: Entitled, annoyed, impatient. I mean, I think I had two in there already but if you really wanna discuss semantics, I'll just clock out here and consider it a failed attempt at humor, or just the wrong audience.

No, I don't have a clue how long projects like these take but an estimated distinction between "oh, a few months" to what, a year? Would've been welcome, even if it'd turn out to be incorrect. It's preferable to complete silence and uncertainty. It has had a consequence on the choices I've made and I've expressed that.

Cheers.
Unilythe wrote: As a software developer, people like you really annoy me. You don't understand what software developers do and how much time and work goes into it, so when you make assumptions based on your ignorance then really, that's all on you. If you make choices based on those false assumptions that it wouldn't take long, then that's your own problem.

Especially when it's free and you're not entitled to a damn thing.

Yeah, would've loved to have had actual solid information to base my decisions on but eh, guess those weren't available.

I'm expressing my thoughts and criticizing, dunking it in a sauce of self-deprecation humor and a little bit of context. Free or not, critique is generally meant to help. You can be supportive of something and not resort to limiting yourself to nothing but showering people with praise and white knighting them. I express my thoughts and criticism and people can take it or leave it.

If my opinion makes you angry, then you have better things to do than to read my words. I guess that's why you're a software developer and not in PR.

p.s. Had to find out in a different thread that there was a blog post in March regarding Vortex. I'm not the only one who had missed that, but thanks for piling on anyway. Edited by RJ the Shadow

IT'S FREE !!! I like free stuff !! I like free stuff even if it doesn't work ! why? because it's FREE ! FREE !!! FREE !!! Free is good! I will try FREE broken stuff ! Someone once gave me ... FREE ... a broken automobile. It didn't run but I could sit in it !! but it was FREE !! Whaddawewant? ?? FREE !!!

* quit complaining if you don't have to pay for it.

Edited by bchick1

In response to post #55070213.

bchick1 wrote: IT'S FREE !!! I like free stuff !! I like free stuff even if it doesn't work ! why? because it's FREE ! FREE !!! FREE !!! Free is good! I will try FREE broken stuff ! Someone once gave me ... FREE ... a broken automobile. It didn't run but I could sit in it !! but it was FREE !! Whaddawewant? ?? FREE !!!

Getting kicked in the face is free too, but I reckon you wouldn't want it to happen to you.

In response to post #55023428. #55028243, #55028883, #55030358, #55063573, #55066428, #55067553 are all replies on the same post.

RJ the Shadow wrote: I'm annoyed and impatient. But I've been waiting for what, a year now? Longer? Do I even know at this point?

Just make sure it works well and it's fabulous, because I've been holding off on regular modding for a very long time now in anticipation (would've appreciated a warning that it'd take this long beforehand tbh, but hindsight is what it is I suppose) and while the opportunity has been invaluable in me exploring a vast amount of other games (even recently finished MGS: Twin Snakes), I'd like to be able to soon-ish test out whether modded Beth games are the kind of content that'll fit on my Twitch streams.

I'm a mod junky and I've been surviving on minor dosages for a long while now. But if it works well and it manages to do (and perhaps more than) what Mod Organizer did, the wait will all be worth it for me. I know this whole writing is a little self-centered but seriously dudes...

...I want my fix
Loveblanket wrote: Entitled much?
Timmhaze wrote: Don't know if you've ever done any amount of formal work on a project of this scale but it takes a serious amount of time, troubleshooting and fixing. This isn't some overnight job the Nexus team is working on, its merging bleedin' NMM and MO (as far as I can tell).
Be patient, lose the entitled attitude and release day will fly up, whenever it may be. Remember, all of this is being given to us for free.
Augusta Calidia wrote: "I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed! A heavy weight of hours has chained and bowed." (Excerpt from "Ode to the West Wind" by Percy Bysshe Shelley).
RJ the Shadow wrote: Entitled, annoyed, impatient. I mean, I think I had two in there already but if you really wanna discuss semantics, I'll just clock out here and consider it a failed attempt at humor, or just the wrong audience.

No, I don't have a clue how long projects like these take but an estimated distinction between "oh, a few months" to what, a year? Would've been welcome, even if it'd turn out to be incorrect. It's preferable to complete silence and uncertainty. It has had a consequence on the choices I've made and I've expressed that.

Cheers.
Unilythe wrote: As a software developer, people like you really annoy me. You don't understand what software developers do and how much time and work goes into it, so when you make assumptions based on your ignorance then really, that's all on you. If you make choices based on those false assumptions that it wouldn't take long, then that's your own problem.

Especially when it's free and you're not entitled to a damn thing.
RJ the Shadow wrote: Yeah, would've loved to have had actual solid information to base my decisions on but eh, guess those weren't available.

I'm expressing my thoughts and criticizing, dunking it in a sauce of self-deprecation humor and a little bit of context. Free or not, critique is generally meant to help. You can be supportive of something and not resort to limiting yourself to nothing but showering people with praise and white knighting them. I express my thoughts and criticism and people can take it or leave it.

If my opinion makes you angry, then you have better things to do than to read my words. I guess that's why you're a software developer and not in PR.

p.s. Had to find out in a different thread that there was a blog post in March regarding Vortex. I'm not the only one who had missed that, but thanks for piling on anyway.

Guess you missed the link to the news post from May in the first sentence of this article too.

In response to post #55070213. #55070518 is also a reply to the same post.

bchick1 wrote: IT'S FREE !!! I like free stuff !! I like free stuff even if it doesn't work ! why? because it's FREE ! FREE !!! FREE !!! Free is good! I will try FREE broken stuff ! Someone once gave me ... FREE ... a broken automobile. It didn't run but I could sit in it !! but it was FREE !! Whaddawewant? ?? FREE !!!

Ethreon wrote: Getting kicked in the face is free too, but I reckon you wouldn't want it to happen to you.

Okay, but FREE and OPTIONAL!

We have some valid inputs in this thread from serious people who have been suggesting very important functions for Vortex to have; others have been asking very important questions that are worth to back them up.

Also, Tannin, the website owners and the crew of 30 who are testing Vortex, are experienced people who in the name of the great majority have been not just developing this but testing it and making sure it will come up with all the possible functions that Tannin, based on his own experience with MO will try to create, so Vortex would be much better than MO and NMM together. We have to give them the benefit of the doubt and we also must give them a pad in the back for what they are doing. It will be very stupid, immature and rude to think otherwise, would you any of you do something worse than we already have ? No, you would not !! So, what make you believe that they are not trying every they can to come up with something much better ?

I am pretty sure that they are reading all our suggestions, proposals, opinions and stupidities as well after they gave us the update. I am pretty sure that they are taking in consideration some of the opinions and suggestions from some people in this thread. Why we do not give them the benefit of the doubt and a pad in their back for their effort instead being rude to them ?

We are not paying for this at all, it is free as bchick1 very well said. Why we do not put ourselves in their shoes for only one minute and if you really have a mature brain, you will know in less than a minute that you would not come up with something worse than we have, so you will immediately stop whining, criticizing, offending, rumoring like a girl, inventing, assuming and believing what you should not.

I can foresee that they will not please every single one of us, simply because that is impossible. But I am very sure that Tannin is capable enough to create something much better than MO and NMM. Thinking otherwise about him is just very offending and disrespectful. Let's be patient and positive.

I am also pretty sure that the crew of 30 who are testing it, are very serious players and modders, people who know how to test, what to look for and capable to suggest very valid opinions to Tannin so he can improve whatever they found is not working as they think it should. Your negative opinion and rudeness about them is just simply unacceptable but in this world, we will always have immature people who always want to mock and laugh about the effort that adult and serious people do.

A huge "Thank you!" to Tannin, Kit, the testers, and everyone else involved!

I know there are some entitled people clamoring that it should have been completed XYZ time ago, but they're just the vocal minority. There are fellow patient folks out there. =)

In response to post #55066558. #55067438 is also a reply to the same post.

1000101 wrote: wtf is "Vortex?" I'm guessing from the comments it's some sort of mod manager? And if so, unless it can do everything and give me all the power that Wyre Bash can, then I personally have no use for it.

Ethreon wrote: Wouldn't hurt reading a bit

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/13257

It just occurred to me that half of all Nexus users must be dyslexic. Calling it "Wyre Bash" instead of "Wrye Bash" is extremely common..