⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Video Games are for Children!

Fkemman11

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the point is this; Am I supposed to feel guilty for loving to play video games?

The relevant question imo is whether you feel guilty for playing them. Eight billion people will have something close to eight billion reasons for gaming, but ime the biggest and most common is that it's a two-way, interactive and communicative recreation and reality escape, as opposed to last century's (film/cable/satellite TV/etc) one-way, sit-and-eat-whatever-stories-we-feed-you theatre experience. We cut our TV cord almost ten years ago and it was easily the best family decision in over a half century. The kicker is that, again ime and according to friends and families who've done the same over the years, you don't realize just how horrible of an influence TV really is, until you're rid of it for a while. The reality is that it's a box that sits in your home and spews continuous commercial advertising, artificial need, continuous physical and emotional violence and orchestrated political conflict. Simply demonic imo, and after a decade of not having it, Comcast would have to pay us their monthly rate to receive that garbage. We've never even missed a Super Bowl, every one of them were viewable online.

As for video games being for children, I've found the levelers of that charge are invariably couch potatoes who spend all day watching soap operas and listening to Big Pharma legal disclaimers. So imo the correct response has always been, "Better childish than stupid." It's one of the most primary reasons the FCC's actions to try and eliminate net neutrality is beyond contemptible imo, it's a direct and bald-faced attempt to forcibly convert what has always been and only can be a two-way communications network into just another one-way, sit-and-eat-whatever-we-choose-to-feed-you propaganda medium.

If you aren't making life painful or miserable for anybody in the course of pursuing your hobbies then what you choose as your preferred entertainment is nobody's business but yours.

I personally find that those people who presume to put themselves on a pedastal and appoint themselves as judge and jury of others pastimes are not only woefully unworthy and unqualified to have annointed themselves in the very first place, but also they have transparently obvious ulterior motives to exert influence over you in way that benefits or pleases them.

"Be more productive! Contribute to society!" Translation: "Be more productive for me or in a way I approve of! Contribute to my resources and happiness instead of yours"

Now of course these people don't realise that the average gaming age is about 35 (last I checked) and thus many of these people are already working jobs and paying their tax and utility bills. People need rest and lesuire after all.

"Your hobby is childish! You should do [-insert critics hobby here-] instead" Translation: "I want to feel superior to you without having to actually do anything"

Now I realise that this may seem cynical, perhaps even conspiratorial, but I should add that a great portion of the time these impulses are only unconscious or subconscious, and this isn't an exhaustive list of reasons, there are others.

This took immense effort to think of and type out, so I will now lie down for 2 days as a reward. Good day all.

The problem is there is no easy answer for those problems. And I am not a good psychologist myself - I was asking similar questions my whole life. But yes, some people can judge themself very harshly - like they have to do what others do and they cannot be themself and then they mentor others so they can be as unhappy as they are.

But when I go back seriously to the original question - are games for children only and is someone who plays games infantile? Well with modern approaches to different therapies and even corporations paying money for group games, which would reveal and possibly strengthen some aspects of personalities and relationships, the answer is ofcourse - no. What would lead even to such idea? Why computer games should be for kids? Because they have a lot of spare time? That is the only thing comming to my mind.

Another aspect would be - what is infantile really - I guess the lack of responsibility, complex emotions, but some older people are so cynic - is it better than behave like a kid? I don't know if that has anything to do with playing computer games.

Do what makes you happy. Who gives a flying fig what others think. Games are for kids? I guess I am a 46 year old kid. But sure, video games are bad but hours of tv, gossiping and being on "social media" is fine. right?

Many of the people here at the Nexus, gamers all, are more well-spoken, more well-read, more thoughtful, more creative than most of the people I have met anywhere else.

Life is to short to worry about what folks think about your hobbies or interest. As long as you are happy and aren't hurting anyone else, tell them all what my beloved Father says, "Go keep your shovel in your own bucket."

:)

Do what makes you happy. Who gives a flying fig what others think. Games are for kids? I guess I am a 46 year old kid. But sure, video games are bad but hours of tv, gossiping and being on "social media" is fine. right?

Many of the people here at the Nexus, gamers all, are more well-spoken, more well-read, more thoughtful, more creative than most of the people I have met anywhere else.

Life is to short to worry about what folks think about your hobbies or interest. As long as you are happy and aren't hurting anyone else, tell them all what my beloved Father says, "Go keep your shovel in your own bucket."

:smile:

Well said and I agree. So next related question; Do you think Gamers will rule the world some day? Or are we more betas than alphas? :D

Well, I don't know about y'all but myself and my progeny have already begun the world wide dominion project.

I will rule with an iron fist.

I'm pretty sure everyone from Steves Wozniak and Jobs to Bill Gates etc were at least occasional gamers. Don't know if they qualify as world rulers, they're certainly closer to it than any political figures I can think of offhand. :D

BTW the more I watch this the funnier it gets:

Just the background music is enough to get me laughing. Also stick around for Todd Howard at the end. :D

Edited by TheMastersSon

Well, you could say that most of games prepares you for world ruling, so it can happen one day to anyone. But it would have to be possible to do from a personal computer...

PS: I don't undertsand why people target Todd Howard all the time, seriously - there are much worse people in gaming industry... esp. with lootboxes and lowering quality of games generally, not just removing a few features. I have a theory it is because players praised Skyrim and compared it to other games - that would be really wrong reason :(

Edited by Mudran