What was the game that caused your gaming addiction to begin?

Systex

Console games

• 5 years - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Megadrive)
  • 6 years - Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo)
  • 6 years - Tetris & Super Mario Bros ( Gameboy)
  • 7 years - watching Big Sister playing Clock Tower (Super Nintendo)
  • 8 years - playing Civilization for the first time (Amiga)
  • 10 years - playing 10 hours Monkey Islad with little Sister until the cable overheated (Amiga)

I had rather enjoyable experiences in my life of gaming :D

• 4 weeks later...

For PC, it was the Jedi Knight series starting with Dark Forces 2 - those games influenced me so much, I own the entire set twice, once on Steam, so I can play some of the earlier games, and all in hard copy.

Console it was the Need for Speed games with my little brother.

I think i would have to "blame" combat on atari.

I'm by far the youngest child in my family and I have many siblings. My oldest brother was around 10 years older than I was, i was probably 4-5 years old a at the time. When you are the youngest and the littlest,as a kid in a big family, and you can pick up a controller and beat the crap out of your decade older brother, that really instills a sense of awesomeness. So I have always seen games a great way to escape the confines of our own abilities and/or earthly bodies. That's how it become something of a hobby. RPGs themselves are a different story:

RPGs went back to a game on the sega master system called "miracle warriors". It's a massively long game if you don't have any maps/guides, or, like me, they get thrown away by your parents for whatever reason other now obscured by the mists of time. Anyway, for a little kid the game was incredibly huge and took like a whole summer to figure out/complete, which in little kid years is approximately 5 years. But I finally beat it. And the main reason I wanted to beat it so bad is because my friend told me the last boss was a naked woman and I was all in.The final boss did indeed have boobs and may in fact have been a "woman", but it was far closer to some kind of harpy or something.

That brings me to:what got me into platforming games: another promise of nude girls. Enter Mystic Defender, a rather hard platforming game, especially for a 8-9 year old who had a habit of throwing his controllers when frustrated with the game which invariably made some of the genesis buttons "stick" and hence more likely to lead to future frustrations when you miss a jump due to a stticky button.. But I guess it was worth it for the pixelated naughty bits, which is hte main reward for completing the game.

Oh and i almost forgot what got me into FPSs. Way back when we had multiplayer doom at highschool. It was totally awesome. We all would get into trouble so we could get sent to detention, and then after the hour of detention we would wait a couple hours to call our parent so pick us up. During the "waiting" time we would hook doom and be blasting each other's guts out on doom multiplayer.

So its safe to say that video games turned me into a sex crazed psychopath.

Edited by vendur

• 2 weeks later...

What started the gaming addiction for me was the Super Mario Bros. on SEGA Mega Drive 2 (Genesis 2, as branded for US) I got for birthday when I was 6. Those were the good times, when the console were made to actually play games instead of watching TV, and the games were 1$ a piece. :happy:

I still have my old SEGA somewhere, in excellent condition too. The downside though is that most of my cartridges died so my game selection is limited, and new cartridges cost more than the games made today. :sad:

There was a Star Trek strategy game written in ancient basic (for the zx81), I was still a boy and we only had a printout and no tape deck, so my uncle ported the game to gwbasic first and later to QBasic, immensely altering the representation, the gameplay, effects and whatnot. It got me hooked, not only on gaming, but on programming and game development as well.

• 2 months later...

Probably addiction, San Andreas, could not get enough of that mod, I though about it all the time but the first game I really liked was need for speed under ground 1, that game was insanely playable

Quake definitely started the addiction. Played a lot of other games before it came out, but not a single one got me as hooked as Quake did.

By the time Quake 2 came out the addiction was too severe to be ever healed.