Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

In response to post #64810791. #64820561, #64823251 are all replies on the same post.

Tuskar1 wrote: So... I'm using vortex, adblock disabled, site is showing ads.
Im downloading a mod, but the download speed says 992 KB/s at most. Is it not supposed to go beyond this, or am I still reaching over 1MB, but it's just saying 992?
KillerSRB1 wrote: 1000kb/s is the same as 1 mb/s
mcdanielskh wrote: KillerSRB1 is correct, but, just in case you need more detailed explanation:
1000 K (K for 1000)= 1000x1000 =1 M (M for Million) (metric system FYI), your getting 99.2% of the 1MB "cap'ed" speed. Taking into account possible control bits, the fact the computers are binary math systems (see Below further explanation) and/or throttling threshold, In short, your getting what you should get :)

Further Explanation:
I left the KB/s out of the explanation above because it really does not matter but FYI technically 1KB/s is actually 1024B/s :) For a reference see following: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/why_1024_bytes

Let me edit my question. The upper window showing the download speed graph in Vortex doesn't even display anything above 1MB. And the graph reaches at most, 992KB. How am I supposed to know if Im downloading with 2MB if the graph wont even go over 1MB?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64810791. #64820561, #64823251, #64833016 are all replies on the same post.

Im downloading a mod, but the download speed says 992 KB/s at most. Is it not supposed to go beyond this, or am I still reaching over 1MB, but it's just saying 992?
mcdanielskh wrote: KillerSRB1 is correct, but, just in case you need more detailed explanation:
1000 K (K for 1000)= 1000x1000 =1 M (M for Million) (metric system FYI), your getting 99.2% of the 1MB "cap'ed" speed. Taking into account possible control bits, the fact the computers are binary math systems (see Below further explanation) and/or throttling threshold, In short, your getting what you should get :)

Further Explanation:
I left the KB/s out of the explanation above because it really does not matter but FYI technically 1KB/s is actually 1024B/s :) For a reference see following: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/why_1024_bytes
Tuskar1 wrote: Let me edit my question. The upper window showing the download speed graph in Vortex doesn't even display anything above 1MB. And the graph reaches at most, 992KB. How am I supposed to know if Im downloading with 2MB if the graph wont even go over 1MB?

> "but FYI technically 1KB/s is actually 1024B/s"

That's actually wrong, K (kilo) is a SI prefix meaning 1000, so 1KB is 1000B, but Ki (kibi) is a binary prefix, meaning 2^10 = 1024, so 1KiB is 1024B.

In response to post #64810791. #64820561, #64823251, #64833016 are all replies on the same post.

1000 K (K for 1000)= 1000x1000 =1 M (M for Million) (metric system FYI), your getting 99.2% of the 1MB "cap'ed" speed. Taking into account possible control bits, the fact the computers are binary math systems (see Below further explanation) and/or throttling threshold, In short, your getting what you should get :smile:

Further Explanation:

I left the KB/s out of the explanation above because it really does not matter but FYI technically 1KB/s is actually 1024B/s :smile: For a reference see following: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/why_1024_bytes

Tuskar1 wrote: Let me edit my question. The upper window showing the download speed graph in Vortex doesn't even display anything above 1MB. And the graph reaches at most, 992KB. How am I supposed to know if Im downloading with 2MB if the graph wont even go over 1MB?

That's actually wrong, K (kilo) is a SI prefix meaning 1000, so 1KB is 1000B, but Ki (kibi) is a binary prefix, meaning 2^10 = 1024, so 1KiB is 1024B.

That's not what people are being taught in computer classes.

How much did WD or Seagate pay you to say that (lol jk)

1000 K (K for 1000)= 1000x1000 =1 M (M for Million) (metric system FYI), your getting 99.2% of the 1MB "cap'ed" speed. Taking into account possible control bits, the fact the computers are binary math systems (see Below further explanation) and/or throttling threshold, In short, your getting what you should get :smile:

Further Explanation:

I left the KB/s out of the explanation above because it really does not matter but FYI technically 1KB/s is actually 1024B/s :smile: For a reference see following: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/why_1024_bytes

And the confusion continues. It is not the reader that has a challenge when Kb is used, it is the author. If the author is following standards, then Kb definitely means 1000b. But if the author meant 1024b the author has generated the confusion. Unfortunately, many authors use K as 1000 or 1024 interchangeably and the reader must assume what the author meant. What are the odds that the reader assumes correctly?

So how about we stop correcting each other and start correcting the authors. Authors and writers of technical documentation need to follow the applicable standards when publishing their figures or document their deviations from standard symbology. Hold the authors feet to the fire and stop roasting each other.

And for the techies who revel in the details:

"The International System of Units (SI, abbreviated from the French Système international (d'unités)) is the modern form of the metric system, and is the most widely used system of measurement. It comprises a coherent system of units of measurement built on seven base units that are ampere, kelvin, second, metre, kilogram, candela, mole, and a set of twenty prefixes to the unit names and unit symbols that may be used when specifying multiples and fractions of the units". Source

The usage of Si symbology as a measure of binary units is not recommended. Instead, the ISO/IEC/NIST symbology should be used.

Adoption by IEC, NIST and ISO[edit]

In January 1999, the IEC published the first international standard (IEC 60027-2 Amendment 2) with the new prefixes, extended up to pebi (Pi) and exbi (Ei).[64][65]

The IEC 60027-2 Amendment 2 also states that the IEC position is the same as that of BIPM (the body that regulates the SI system); the SI prefixes retain their definitions in powers of 1000 and are never used to mean a power of 1024.

In usage, products and concepts typically described using powers of 1024 would continue to be, but with the new IEC prefixes. For example, a memory module of 536870912 bytes (512 × 1048576) would be referred to as 512 MiB or 512 mebibytes instead of 512 MB or 512 megabytes. Conversely, since hard drives have historically been marketed using the SI convention that "giga" means 1000000000, a "500 GB" hard drive would still be labeled as such. According to these recommendations, operating systems and other software would also use binary and SI prefixes in the same way, so the purchaser of a "500 GB" hard drive would find the operating system reporting either "500 GB" or "466 GiB", while 536870912 bytes of RAM would be displayed as "512 MiB".

The second edition of the standard, published in 2000,[66] defined them only up to exbi,[67] but in 2005, the third edition added prefixes zebi and yobi, thus matching all SI prefixes with binary counterparts.[68]

The harmonized ISO/IEC IEC 80000-13:2008 standard cancels and replaces subclauses 3.8 and 3.9 of IEC 60027-2:2005 (those defining prefixes for binary multiples). The only significant change is the addition of explicit definitions for some quantities.[69] In 2009, the prefixes kibi-, mebi-, etc. were defined by ISO 80000-1 in their own right, independently of the kibibyte, mebibyte, and so on.

The BIPM standard JCGM 200:2012 "International vocabulary of metrology – Basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM), 3rd edition" lists the IEC binary prefixes and states "SI prefixes refer strictly to powers of 10, and should not be used for powers of 2. For example, 1 kilobit should not be used to represent 1024 bits (210 bits), which is 1 kibibit."[70]

Source

Edit: Unfortunately, the table of correct ISO/IEC/NIST symbols did not survive the format processes in this editor, so I removed it. You can see the proper symbology in the source linked above.

Edited by Guest

In response to post #64791301.

icetrey92 wrote: I just really hate video ads. if yall didnt have that maybe i would turn adblocker off but they are such an annoyance when you have to worry about data consumption

Hit the nail on the head regarding adblockers, watching ads costs us the user money as well concerning data limits. So from both perspectives it's fairly one sided since we are having to pay to run their ads regardless and are charged for the option not too, and they lose money if we don't. Edited by TheCoolCrushIceKilla

In response to post #64846086.

TheGreatFalro wrote:

Further Explanation:

That's not what people are being taught in computer classes.

How much did WD or Seagate pay you to say that (lol jk)

Thank you Targuinius, for the correction, and UnshodCobbler for the insight into the correction.
But good Lord that horse is dead now :)
I did not know about ISO/IEC/NIST Adoption of a new standard and find this information fascinating. So from me, thank you :)
but I'm sure many people reading this post may now be more confused than ever.
Sure ISO/IEC/NIST Adopted a new standard symbology as a measure of binary units back in 1999/2009. but here it is 2018 and (almost :) ) nobody uses it. Rarely ever do we see KiB but instead the old KB, and it is no wonder people are confused if they expect base 10 symbols to actually be base 10 not the Binary equivalent thereof or something confusing like that. However, most people that are familiar with binary have no problem with it once the realize what going on, and I think most people do not see the need for another standard of symboles. However, I really never gave it much thought, but mathematically it's a mess otherwise, no wonder people are confused, good grief!! I agree you are correct but just because ISO/IEC/NIST Adopted it does not mean it will be used by the general population obviously and unfortunately. It's been years since the adoption and I have only ever seen it (and not realized it was actually a new standard) used in scientific papers, journals and some times in specifications in addition to the more common SI units. Hell it's hard enough to get people here in America (other then the Scientist, Engineers and Doctors) to use Metric. lol. Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #64808551.

skapunker2010 wrote: Im a Premium Lifetime member, so i dont really need to worry about these speed limitations, but to the rest of the world.....
I forgotten all about Net Neutrality, the past 4 years
I guess this is a good example how the Internet is not Neutral anymore...
I never really liked Rap music, but i thought this Rap Video explained Net Neutrality pretty nice:

Net neutrality is about you getting the same content for the same price, no matter the origin.
(So your ISP shouldnt be able to charge you more for using facebook or youtube, then say, their proprietary alternative ;) )

In truth, nexus is actually being kind, since they could easily have chosen to block downloads for adblock users on the principle that those people provide no income to offset the cost they incur.
Fact is, nexus is saying, "Yo, you people who actually are kind enough to pay for the stuff, we're giving you a bit extra, thanks for keeping us running!"

In response to post #64808551. #64927641 is also a reply to the same post.

skapunker2010 wrote: Im a Premium Lifetime member, so i dont really need to worry about these speed limitations, but to the rest of the world.....
I forgotten all about Net Neutrality, the past 4 years
I guess this is a good example how the Internet is not Neutral anymore...
I never really liked Rap music, but i thought this Rap Video explained Net Neutrality pretty nice:
Entoarox wrote: Net neutrality is about you getting the same content for the same price, no matter the origin.
(So your ISP shouldnt be able to charge you more for using facebook or youtube, then say, their proprietary alternative ;) )

In truth, nexus is actually being kind, since they could easily have chosen to block downloads for adblock users on the principle that those people provide no income to offset the cost they incur.
Fact is, nexus is saying, "Yo, you people who actually are kind enough to pay for the stuff, we're giving you a bit extra, thanks for keeping us running!"

And that's why i am a supporter. its like ad block but it helps my favorite mod site!

Maybe if you didn't have such bloated ads I would turn the blocker off but every time i turn the blocker off the page loads so slowly and glitchy and practically unusable so for my own sanity I keep it on, I appreciate what you guys do and can't afford right now a premium subscription or anything like that i just wish your ads weren't so aggressive with the page.