⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

Okay the new Vortex manager's purpose is obvious. Limiting downloads to 1mb unless you pay for the "Premium" Version .. that's absolute s*** .. All this is going to do, is make people do more manual downloads and install from files. Which is exactly what I'm doing. Some of these mods are nearly a gig at 1mb it's going to take forever. So Nexus can try and take the piss out of my argument any way they want. It's a money grab plain and simple.

I've been a supporter for at least a year, and my download speeds manually and thru Vortex are running about 175kb on a 80MB line.

I'm not sure how long you've been with Nexus, but I've been here for nearly 8 years, and downloaded TONS of mods... how difficult would it be to add Nexusmods.com to the whitelist in adblock? Not to mention that they've been here for modders and content creators for how long? If all they're asking you to do is whitelist them in your adblocker(s) because they need help; it's the least you could do.

Because of the Nexus I've been able to enjoy 4,642 hours playing Skyrim... JUST Skyrim. That's not even counting Fallout 3, NV, and FO4.

And premium membership is $2.99 a month for those who can't drop a larger sum. Just sayin'.

Did I mention ads or Adblock, The Vortex Manager Itself restricts download speeds unless you upgrade to "Premium". Which I'm sorry is not happening, I'm paying for enough memberships as it is and I'm not being blackmailed into paying for another.

As for Adblock I refuse to use ANY website without it. Because the companies that deliver ads to websites, including Google's AdSense, do not guarantee that the ads their delivering to websites are Virus or Malware Free. And until there is Legislation in the U.S. at least that mandates that companies delivering advertising to websites guarantee those ads are clean I will continue to use Adblock.

Edited by DarthAndrea2814

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64073761. #64073846, #64185861 are all replies on the same post.

Mercury71 wrote:

Of some reason i download at about 200-500 KB/s today :(

Nexus has never been this slow for me before.

Dark0ne wrote: What file server are you downloading from? We haven't changed anything on the file servers for this, but I'm happy to do a quick test.
DannyDan4 wrote: I have been also having this issue for a while now, which makes NMM almost entirely unusable, and in helping my friend get NMM to work, I found he also had this issue.

same deal here, 96kb was getting good speeds yesterday

I'd like some help. I was downloading a 6 gb file and it was taking forever. I was about to upgrade to premium for life then decided to try one month to see how it went. I haven't noticed a difference in speeds at all. The highest I've seen is 224 kb/s next is 64 kb/s and lowest is 0 kb/s. It varies throughout those constantly but won't improve at all even with Vortex restarted and logged out and logged back into my account. It even shows premium on vortex and my profile on NMM but still no difference. I don't know who to go to about this but it makes me glad I didn't go for lifetime with no increase in speeds. If I can't get it working I may ask for a refund.

In response to post #64609196.

DarthAndrea2814 wrote:

Okay the new Vortex manager's purpose is obvious. Limiting downloads to 1mb unless you pay for the "Premium" Version .. that's absolute s*** .. All this is going to do, is make people do more manual downloads and install from files. Which is exactly what I'm doing. Some of these mods are nearly a gig at 1mb it's going to take forever. So Nexus can try and take the piss out of my argument any way they want. It's a money grab plain and simple.

The same speed restriction on Vortex is also on the sites. They literally use the same mechanism.

I know the change most likely won't be instantaneous, but I do have a question regarding Mozilla Firefox. I went into the popup blocker settings and whitelisted the Nexus, so popups can show up on the site. However, both before and after doing so, I still see no advertisements. I would like to get the 2MB/s speeds, but it seems that advertisements do not want to show up. I do not have any adblockers installed as far as I can tell, unless Firefox automatically downloaded one without my prior knowledge. Will I need to be using Google Chrome or another search engine in order to see ads and have the increased download speed, or am I doing something else incorrectly?

My internet speeds are incredibly slow as-is, so I doubt I'll consistently hit speeds of 2MB/s regardless. I'm hoping the ads don't cause the site to load slowly as well, as the time it could take for the site to load could negate the bonus of a higher download speed altogether. I mostly just want to test and see if the increase in speed is actually worth it or not.

In response to post #64183701. #64191081, #64204401, #64206866, #64229911, #64231896, #64309901, #64319131, #64415756, #64539201 are all replies on the same post.

zgrillo2004 wrote:

Hey. you want to stop us from using adblockers on the site? then how about remove the malware ridden ads from your site. If you cant, then Im keeping mine on. Deal with it.

megapolom wrote: Or... crazy thought right here... you could donate the 2$ and become a supporter and avoid ads altogether.
reptileye wrote: Point taken but that isn't enough.

It's pathetic. People who can pay get the benefit but people who put actual content into the site don't? what a joke.
Forzane wrote: @reptileye you as a mod author CAN get ads removed...use your DP from your wallet and get Premium for 1 month and then after that month is up you go to Supporter ...boom no ads
KZadBhat wrote: Megapolom, you mean reward the site owners for willingly using malicious ads and giving them money to stop wasting our bandwidth and attempting to infect our computers? I don't understand why it's our place to reward bad behavior, even if it is only $2.
VoidPriest wrote: That is indeed a crazy thought mega, to have to pay to not have malware infested ads. There is a reason ad blocker exists to begin with it. Zgrillo has the right of it, Sorry.
lyoko1 wrote: More than stop people using adblockers on the site they are kind of rewarding the people that do not use them or that have the supporter account, if you have adblock you can continue using the site as always, whitout changes, they are not lowering the cap for adblockers, they are increasing the cap for non adblockers and supporters, adblockers can get the same cap they aleardy had.

Technically you can sandbox the web browser that way malwares are contained and would not harm your computer.

Bad ads are not the mistake of site owners, they are the mistake of ad networks, in nexus you can report bad ads you see in the forum and the site owners ask the ad network to remove them.
So they are not willingly using malicious ads, but there is not much they can do about it other than what they do, today malicious ads are very hard to detect from their end, because those ads are very ofuscated and hard to detect, and nexus is not google or some big company to have their own ad network and a very powerful algorithm to detect malicious ads.
hendersonca wrote: > Or... crazy thought right here... you could donate the 2$ and become a supporter and avoid ads altogether.

Nice try. Not going to 'support' that attitude.
dungeons0 wrote: Its 2 dollars - what the hell is wrong with you? I wipe my behind with more than that.
Sohei2 wrote: The site can't figure out that I don't use an adblocker here so I don't have much confidence in their supporter system working properly either.

Forget it. Im saving my money for something that is more important. oh like, My Bills?!

In response to post #64612746.

DarthAndrea2814 wrote:

I've been a supporter for at least a year, and my download speeds manually and thru Vortex are running about 175kb on a 80MB line.
I'm not sure how long you've been with Nexus, but I've been here for nearly 8 years, and downloaded TONS of mods... how difficult would it be to add Nexusmods.com to the whitelist in adblock? Not to mention that they've been here for modders and content creators for how long? If all they're asking you to do is whitelist them in your adblocker(s) because they need help; it's the least you could do.
Because of the Nexus I've been able to enjoy 4,642 hours playing Skyrim... JUST Skyrim. That's not even counting Fallout 3, NV, and FO4.
And premium membership is $2.99 a month for those who can't drop a larger sum. Just sayin'.

Did I mention ads or Adblock, The Vortex Manager Itself restricts download speeds unless you upgrade to "Premium". Which I'm sorry is not happening, I'm paying for enough memberships as it is and I'm not being blackmailed into paying for another.

As for Adblock I refuse to use ANY website without it. Because the companies that deliver ads to websites, including Google's AdSense, do not guarantee that the ads their delivering to websites are Virus or Malware Free. And until there is Legislation in the U.S. at least that mandates that companies delivering advertising to websites guarantee those ads are clean I will continue to use Adblock.

Buddy, EVERYONE has a restriction on the download speed unless they pay.

Manual downloads, downloads through NMM, downloads through Mod Organizer and downloads through Vorte are ALL restricted unless you have a membership. This isn't even new. It has been this way for many, many years.

That's just how file hosting sites work. If you want higher download speeds, you're going to have to pay. Server hosting isn't free.

Wow, there's a ton of misplaced negativity here. I've been with Nexus since it was TESSource and I can only applaud Dark0ne and the gang for their consistent improvements. I don't really need the improvements that come with a premium membership, but upgrades like these make me consider it just to continue to support the Nexus.

Good lord people, do you all need a Snickers Bar or something; so much drama. Nexus is only doing what they need to do to keep NEXUSMODS running great. Those that are complaining just humor me for a moment; take the amount of money you have paid (if any) to use this site and divide it by the number of mods you have downloaded. The result is the % right you have to complain IMO. However, IMO people that create mods that have a significant number of users should get Premium for free. If there was an option to "Support a modder" that would allow me to pay for a modders Premium membership, I would pay it. Some, I would buy lifetime premium because I really do enjoy their work. Edited by mcdanielskh