Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only complaint for vortex is the problem with oblivion mods and the lack of omod support, sure some people would say just use Oblivion Mod Manager witch i do but sooner or later problems are going to pop up due to the age of the program.

some people would suggest to unpack the mod and pick the stuff you want and repack it but there are some omod's that have large complex installer script that do more then place files, some of them do changes to the games .ini and some of them have a lot of files in different folders and even worse some don't have manual install instructions.

even thought it's an older game I'm wondering how this is going to be handled.

i remember hearing that technically someone could make a add-on plugin for vortex so it can handle omod's.

Whilst it is awesome to see Vortex reach beta state, I feel it's kind of irritating that on day one you've removed the ability to download mods via NMM.

I mean you make a point in the article of stating those of us who have currently modded, stable, games running via NMM should probably not bother switching to Vortex yet... but now for mod updates or adding new mods to the game I've invested hundreds of hours in to I have to start using manual downloads rather than simply downloading via NMM. That's a bit of a shame really.

Edit: Just to add, I just tried installing Vortex just to have a look at it and the "stable" beta wont even let me change the download directory without failing and it doesn't tell me why it failed it just shows me the part of the script that failed...

Edited by khamseen

In response to post #64244536.

khamseen wrote: Whilst it is awesome to see Vortex reach beta state, I feel it's kind of irritating that on day one you've removed the ability to download mods via NMM.

I mean you make a point in the article of stating those of us who have currently modded, stable, games running via NMM should probably not bother switching to Vortex yet... but now for mod updates or adding new mods to the game I've invested hundreds of hours in to I have to start using manual downloads rather than simply downloading via NMM. That's a bit of a shame really.

We updated the word on the button. You can still use NMM, just click the Vortex button :)

In response to post #64241631. #64242206, #64242646 are all replies on the same post.

PaulStand wrote: Will we be able to get our Script Extenders to work with this soon? - If done already how do we get it to work! - Thanks
Augusta Calidia wrote: Vortex has in the past and does now handle script extenders through its tools menu. I am currently running script extenders for Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Skyrim SE.

Instructions for setting up these tools are available on the Nexus Wiki. Click the link "helpful documentation" found in the news release above.
Pickysaurus wrote: One of my favorite things about Vortex is you can install both Script Extenders and ENBs for Bethesda games in Vortex itself :D

Thank you both!!

In response to post #64244196.

Stormcrafter134 wrote: War, War Never Changes

In 2007, this great community accepted, that game modding was the only way to preserve our rights, to fun, enjoyment, and the pursuit of happiness, if our founding Modders could only see us now. From Fallout to Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age to Mass Effect, we have Modded, and now, the Online menace, is at our doorstep, Single player itself is under threat of annihilation.

That is why today, on October 9th 2018, 11 years after our great website began, we gather together to honour the completion, of Vortex Mod Manager, this sprawling, Intricate system, may have been engineered by Black Tree, but it was built by you, the good people of the internet, so that if Online games do come, if the end does come, our way of Gaming, will endure, but not everyone will be saved, those chosen to enter this site must be our best and our brightest, for when the updates have stopped and the servers have settled, you must rebuild, not just mods, not just load orders, but hearts, and minds, and ultimately single player itself, so as we stand here today, we pray that the Internet will know peace, but if that is not our destiny, if war must come, we stand together knowing that here on Vortex Mod Manager,
our future begins...

Nice! :D

In response to post #64244536. #64245246 is also a reply to the same post.

khamseen wrote: Whilst it is awesome to see Vortex reach beta state, I feel it's kind of irritating that on day one you've removed the ability to download mods via NMM.

Edit: Just to add, I just tried installing Vortex just to have a look at it and the "stable" beta wont even let me change the download directory without failing and it doesn't tell me why it failed it just shows me the part of the script that failed...
Pickysaurus wrote: We updated the word on the button. You can still use NMM, just click the Vortex button :)

Oh, I see, thanks for letting me know! That's great for those of us who want to skip the steps of manual download and importing.
I was confused because when you click the button it says "your download will be served by Vortex" or something so I backed out because I didn't want to download it with Vortex. Just tested it though and it did launch NMM to download it.

In response to post #64243711.

HellGhost38 wrote: Hi,

I just think that Nexus Mod Manager working fine, I don't really see the advantage of launching a new Mod Manager.

I already done many tests to find the correct installation and load order for games like Skyrim Special Edition and I don't have it installed actually.
So, I just hope that we can import the NMM settings in Vortex.

If we can do that, a fast and fully compatible transition to Vortex, why not !
If not, I will just keep NMM and still use it.

Vortex has an easy to use Import from NMM and MO feature. I think it works fine. Advantage over NMM: one can easily and swiftly switch between games and profiles (different mod setups in the same game).