What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

In response to post #81855998. #81865038, #81866938, #81881893, #81942063, #81944553, #81946498, #81950268, #81967298 are all replies on the same post.

lavigilia wrote: Windows 10 is giving that "This app can't run on your PC" since the last update. Never happend before. I'm already tried disabling the smartscreen option and cleaning the register.
Any ideas?

Thanks
KaptnBlack wrote: Same problem here. Don't know what to do.
BigBizkit wrote: This might be down to an issue with smartscreen which we are currently investigating. Thanks for the report!
lavigilia wrote: Thank you! please, let me know if there is anything I can do to help
Rork79 wrote: Any idea what to do with this issue?
lavigilia wrote: I've tried a couple of things that found on the web but still nothing. Neither disabling SmartScreen, UAC, Defender or cleaning Windows 10 registry has done anything.
I can confirm thou this was right after the 1.2.14 update. I'm avoiding a new install from the archive "Vortex (custom install location)", do not want to risk to lose almost 1100 active mods. It would be painful.
Rork79 wrote: I'm looking for solution but with any results! For me Vortex completely disappeared from list of uninstall program too? So right now how can i safely reinstall Vortex?
HadToRegister wrote:
Rork79
I'm looking for solution but with any results! For me Vortex completely disappeared from list of uninstall program too? So right now how can safely reinstall Vortex?

Just install Vortex again, and if you're using Windows Defender, turn off "Controlled Folder Access, and/or disable any antivirus before reinstalling.
Vortex doesn't disappear on it's own, something on your system is removing it, like an overzealous AV program.
Rork79 wrote: It works for me, thx for good advise.

Think i'm going to try this. My only concerned is losing my active mod list. Do you think that's possible or should I wait?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #81855998. #81865038, #81866938, #81881893, #81942063, #81944553, #81946498, #81950268, #81967298, #81977233 are all replies on the same post.

lavigilia wrote: Windows 10 is giving that "This app can't run on your PC" since the last update. Never happend before. I'm already tried disabling the smartscreen option and cleaning the register.
Any ideas?

Thanks
BigBizkit wrote: This might be down to an issue with smartscreen which we are currently investigating. Thanks for the report!
lavigilia wrote: Thank you! please, let me know if there is anything I can do to help
lavigilia wrote: I've tried a couple of things that found on the web but still nothing. Neither disabling SmartScreen, UAC, Defender or cleaning Windows 10 registry has done anything.
I can confirm thou this was right after the 1.2.14 update. I'm avoiding a new install from the archive "Vortex (custom install location)", do not want to risk to lose almost 1100 active mods. It would be painful.
Rork79 wrote: I'm looking for solution but with any results! For me Vortex completely disappeared from list of uninstall program too? So right now how can i safely reinstall Vortex?
HadToRegister wrote:
Rork79
I'm looking for solution but with any results! For me Vortex completely disappeared from list of uninstall program too? So right now how can safely reinstall Vortex?

Just install Vortex again, and if you're using Windows Defender, turn off "Controlled Folder Access, and/or disable any antivirus before reinstalling.
Vortex doesn't disappear on it's own, something on your system is removing it, like an overzealous AV program.
lavigilia wrote: Think i'm going to try this. My only concerned is losing my active mod list. Do you think that's possible or should I wait?

lavigilia
Think i'm going to try this. My only concerned is losing my active mod list. Do you think that's possible or should I wait?

Reinstalling Vortex should have no effect on your mod list

In response to post #81857318. #81863108, #81867998, #81962398 are all replies on the same post.

vevesumi wrote: its refusing to log me in at all its infuriating. the api key keeps timing out as well.
i decided trying to uninstall and reinstall vortex. now i cant download it at all. welp thanks i guess.
Pickysaurus wrote: Sounds like something on your PC is blocking Vortex from accessing the internet. Check your security apps.
vevesumi wrote: good news. it installed and actually logged me in when disabling malwarebytes. lets hope i stay logged in!
vevesumi wrote: and again it wont let me log in. this is infuriating.

vevesumi
and again it wont let me log in. this is infuriating.

Is MalwareBytes still disabled, or did you enable it again?

In response to post #81916563.

MikeInWare wrote: I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.

MikeInWare
I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.

Which is why a lot of modders don't like or want mod packs, because if you're paying for a modpack, then it's the person who put the modpack together that's getting paid, and NOT the people who actually made the mods.
There's already someone who did that and has their modpack behind a paywall on patreon, so while a bunch of mod authors did all the work, the guy who made the modpack is making all the money of other people's efforts.

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81991703, #82015728 are all replies on the same post.

MikeInWare wrote: I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.

Which is why a lot of modders don't like or want mod packs, because if you're paying for a modpack, then it's the person who put the modpack together that's getting paid, and NOT the people who actually made the mods.
There's already someone who did that and has their modpack behind a paywall on patreon, so while a bunch of mod authors did all the work, the guy who made the modpack is making all the money of other people's efforts.
MikeInWare wrote: They will make it work and get in line as the profits for ModPaks for the coming new Elder Scrolls "sequel" to Skyrim will be insane. I am absolutely confident that there will be vast amounts of ModPaks despite the challenges. If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

Modders are already being left out of the profits!
Do you think that the people who basically took mods without permission, then made a modpack and are charging money for it are sending each modder a cut of those profits?
NO.
Currently the problem is, people making the modpacks aren't asking permission from the modders, and are making modpacks, then putting them behind paywalls and making money of them.
Essentially stealing the mods, packing them together and making money off the work of others.
Modders aren't even being given a say on whether they want or don't want their mods in mod packs.

You make it sound as if making a bunch of mods work properly requires no effort. Creating a functioning mod list on Wabbajack is a mammoth task when you incorporate multiple, complex mods. I know because I've tried. There's no easy way to do it.

If this person isn't taking credit for creating the mods, then there's nothing wrong with putting a price on the time it takes to create a functioning mod pack. People are free to charge for their mods in the same way if they like, nothing's stopping them. In fact I recall paying Chesko years ago when he originally set up a patreon to help fund his mod development (before he had to take it down).

I would also happily pay for working mod packs regardless of who is setting them up. Edited by llihP

In response to post #81855998. #81865038, #81866938, #81881893, #81942063, #81944553, #81946498, #81950268, #81967298, #81977233, #81983513 are all replies on the same post.

Any ideas?

Thanks
HadToRegister wrote:
Rork79

lavigilia wrote: Think i'm going to try this. My only concerned is losing my active mod list. Do you think that's possible or should I wait?
HadToRegister wrote:
lavigilia

Reinstalling Vortex should have no effect on your mod list

It worked perfectly. Thank you!

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

llihP wrote: You make it sound as if making a bunch of mods work properly requires no effort. Creating a functioning mod list on Wabbajack is a mammoth task with when you incorporate multiple, complex mods. I know because I've tried. There's no easy way to do it.

If this person isn't taking credit for creating the mods, then there's nothing wrong with putting a price on the time it takes to create a functioning mod pack. People are free to charge for their mods in the same way if they like, nothing's stopping them. In fact I recall paying Chesko years ago when he originally set up a patreon to help fund his mod development (before he had to take it down).

I would also happily pay for working mod packs regardless of who is setting them up.

They will make it work and get in line as the profits for ModPaks for the coming new Elder Scrolls "sequel" to Skyrim will be insane. I am absolutely confident that there will be vast amounts of ModPaks despite the challenges. If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

Ah recently I got the notification to vote for modpack support, however it seems to be closed? It stated in the original message it will be open until August 30th. It is only June 13th. Surely the Google survey should still be open?

"The form What do you think about mod packs? - Mod Author Survey is no longer accepting responses.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake."

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare

llihP wrote: You make it sound as if making a bunch of mods work properly requires no effort. Creating a functioning mod list on Wabbajack is a mammoth task with when you incorporate multiple, complex mods. I know because I've tried. There's no easy way to do it.

I would also happily pay for working mod packs regardless of who is setting them up.
MikeInWare wrote: They will make it work and get in line as the profits for ModPaks for the coming new Elder Scrolls "sequel" to Skyrim will be insane. I am absolutely confident that there will be vast amounts of ModPaks despite the challenges. If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

MikeInWare
If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

Modders are already being left out of the profits!
Do you think that the people who basically took mods without permission, then made a modpack and are charging money for it are sending each modder a cut of those profits?
NO.
Currently the problem is, people making the modpacks aren't asking permission from the modders, and are making modpacks, then putting them behind paywalls and making money of them.
Essentially stealing the mods, packing them together and making money off the work of others.
Modders aren't even being given a say on whether they want or don't want their mods in mod packs.