Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

I'd like to commend you on taking the £1 approach. Most people who run sites are much more conservative and wouldn't dream of going that low; but I'm of the opinion that if you drop costs you'll more than make up for it in having a much, much larger take-up. I'm loathe to subscribe to things that ask for £10 or more (unless it's some kind of community I'm very actively involved in) but if more sites did this then I'd pay much more often.

Frankly, given how much use I've had out of the Nexus down the years, paying a quid is an absolute bargain.

Edited by CharlieToogood

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ SylenThunder - Do you remember when Youtube switched from their 5-star rating system to like/dislike? It was because almost all ratings were either 1 or 5.

Now there's people like me (and you, I suspect) who would give an honest rating - an average mod gets 3 stars, a good-but-not brilliant mod gets 4 stars, etc. But for everyone like us there will be dozens who will simply give 5s to things they like & keep using, and 1s to things they don't like/are bugged, and won't go near the other ratings, rendering them academic.

Dark0ne:

This is the best idea yet. I feel the endorsement system needs a little help as well, searching for really good mods is tough and users aren't really giving proper input. Incentives=motivation. Supporters now get an bit of incentive too, so bonus...means more short timers will bust out a buck for uploading etc, which means more clicks which means ++++ chkching (famous Pink Floyd song comes to mind.)

This surely will get things moving in the planned direction with server clustering etc. I am stoked! GL with the background stuff (don't mind the guy behind the curtain...he's just running things).

Speaking of Supporter and Premium memberships. Will there ever be Nexus themed gear like a t-shirt or a coffee mug. For instance, my favorite game is Skyrim could I ever buy either a plain Nexus tee or a Skyrim styled tee. It would earn money from sales and advertising for Nexus. The advertising would direct people to the site and Nexus would make money from their CPM ads. Just and idea though.

Sorry for no Wall of Text

@SylenThunder: There was a rating system similar to that in place once, long before Skyrim. After receiving a miriad of abuse it was finally killed off by a public majority decision, as was the non-endorsement, thumbs-down, you-name-it. Unless the majority of site users reconsider drastically I don't see these coming back anytime soon... and from my own personal opinion I can only keep saying "good riddance".

Something I want to add regarding the endorsements, could you provide an option to endorse either without downloading, or immediately after downloading a mod? I'll use my scenarios as an example...

Normally I'll see a mod that looks good, maybe it's just not there yet but I'd like to endorse anyway to give support. Unfortunately to do that I have to download the mod. Okay, maybe it's not that big of a deal and works okay still. The biggest downfall though is you have to have waited an hour to endorse a mod after downloading. I don't know about anyone else here but 8/10 times I don't endorse a mod after downloading is because I just plain forget.

I download the mod, I go in and start playing around with it for awhile. I look at it and go "Hey, this is pretty good." and head back to endorse. I try and then I'm hit with a message saying I cannot endorse until an hour has passed since then. And from there, I just forget. Sometimes when I go to update I may remember I've never endorsed it so I go and do that. But honestly, having the option to either endorse immediately or a shorter waiting period would help immensely on the subject.

After all we're given an option to unendorse if we don't like it so giving the feature to either immediately endorse or a shorter waiting time shouldn't be an issue. At least not one I can see...?

Edited by SamusKnight2K

I usually try to donate from time to time. I will admit that about 2 months ago I removed this site from my whitelist and I have been one of those jerks running adblock. After reading this I have went and whitelisted your site again because I do want to support this site as much as I can. I come here all the time, no idea what I would do without it.

I would like to explain why I use adblock, It is not for the better viewing experience as your article suggest. Honestly when It comes to the nexus site the ads are not really that bad, but I did remove you from my adblock whitelist for the following reason. I have my PC setup in my living room with surround sound, and I usually control the sound of applications though the application not constantly turning up and down the sound on my PC itself. I found this is the best way, and I dont have to change how loud my games are to how loud netflix is to how loud youtube. Though about two months ago I was viewing this site checking out some of the cool new mods being release and all of the sudden this roaring noise of some girl talking (now keep in mind, I open about 10-15 mod pages in new tabs before actually reading them) and once I heard her talking, I won't lie it made me jump wasn't expecting it. haha. I was frantically flipping though all of my tabs to try and find one simple ad of some girl talking.

I will leave the nexus sites whitelisted and donate some money to try and make up for the last two months.

@SamusKnight2K If you use the NMM you can endorse right from there, there's a little star icon on the right hand side. I usually check for mods to endorse whenever I install new mods or check my modlist for any updates.

Also can I make a suggestion? Lower the limit for those who block ads and don't use the endorsement system. 750KB/s is not exactly slow for mods that are on average probably about 20MB. My internet max's out at 600KB/s.

Edited by PG1