Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, if you could get $2 from a user, this should be a cinch. :)

I would say drop people down to 500Kbps and give them 1Mbps if you can see they've got ads enabled. If they use adblockers, thereby robbing you of possible revenue, keep them at 500Kbps. I think it's only fair. Hell... I'd give them 250Kbps if it was me. I appreciate what the Nexus provides and when I have the money, I will contribute again. (yes... I run adblockers as well and I accept my fate of 250Kbps... :) )

Guys,

Please don't bicker in this thread, there is no point in antagonistic behavior. I think we all have a common interested and that's the Nexus.

I suggest this...lets all donate to the site, lets all get premium or supporter status.

I would be devastated if the Nexus died and it would not be the first time that a modding site has perished...

Edited by sydney666

I had never really thought about AdBlock (which is one of the wonders of the Extension: You set it and forget it) being active when browsing this site. This post got me thinking, and since I love the Nexus Network so much, the nexusmods.com domain has been added to my whitelist so my multiple daily visits should be registering with the ad provider. Post like this a fantastic because they bring things to light that are so far out of sight and out of mind that it's good to remind people that we have an amazing thing here and don't have to pay a dime for it, as long as we're being served ads.

I'm willing to put up with the almost non-existent annoyance of mods (due to the way that the Nexus serves them) to allow this community to thrive.

I just went premium - and $65 is a lot in my household and a good portion of what I have made from donations...

It is the least I could do for this site.

I'm glad I read this. I always kind of assumed that I had to click on the advert for it to mean anything, so I figured adblocker wouldn't make a difference(I don't recall ever clicking on an advertisement ever, I don't trust them). But if having adverts simply on the page will do the site some good, it is honestly the very least I can do, so I disabled adblocker for Nexusmods.com. =)

My only request is that the ads stay, y'know, tasteful. Part of the reason I use adblocker is to avoid obscene, ugly, suggestive ads.

(I know you have minimal control over who advertises in your space, but just saying)

When I get my paypal account, I will for sure become a supporter. :D And I won't use ad-blockers no more. I did for a bit, but I won't bother reinstalling it. :) Edited by Blitz54