WIP - The Companion friendly Hobbit Home

Pellape

Not all stuff is fun to do, like adding a lot of wheat and rice, but with a future update of MOO, they are needed for the cooking recipes. Growing Rice on a grassed rock?? Well I do not have a watered aker, so we just have to use our imagiation... -> Rice in Anvil grow on rocks... :wink: I still have a lot to do at the backside...

50730190376_5b79f09d29_k.jpgOblivion125 by Per-Erik Peterson, on Flickr

Edited by Pellape

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have to stop soon as the performance starts slowly to decrease... The wheat and rice field is completed
50732584908_889b583ae2_k.jpgOblivion129 by Per-Erik Peterson, on Flickr

I added some strawberries around the whole terrace and I will add some Blackberry bushes as well at the backside before I stop. I do have some more farm animals to add as well but I think this final front now looks okay. So lets soon make some Srawberry pies.
50732584838_48becb1aef_h.jpgOblivion130 by Per-Erik Peterson, on Flickr

Thanks Oblivionaddicted

I use a lot of cats and puppies as guards, both new cats and also the old based on the mountain lion, boosted so they are able to fight the smaller critters at least that spawns around the house, set to lvl 10. But they cant use the stairs, so I need to add collisions to them. I will place my invisable carpet collisions there later today but it will be messy as they need to be set in almost 45 degrees sloop and then turned and mixing x, y and z when placing an object is not as easy as it might sounds like. I might fail really and the reason is that everything is set to 70 degrees in z. Putting an object that is set to 45 degree in y or x if z is 0, 90, 180 or 270 is easy but not if z is 70... :/

Later I will add an option to disable them and let the player hire guards in anvil instead, if the player wants it or have no guards at all. I will make a suitable guard curiass for the Hobbit Home a some stage.

I added the collisions... But 40 degrees is to steep for the smallest critters that are scaled 0.4 can't climb as they just glide so I did fail in one way but now my Mountain Lion that are scaled to 0.8 are able to follow me to the top, so I will keep them...

50741270102_f101bb9d07_o.pngCollisions02 by Per-Erik Peterson, on Flickr

The carpets is of course invisible in game... :wink:

This is by the way how stairs looks like in Morrowind, as the collision you walk on, is flat like this, which I noticed when I retextured the Redoran houses ones. :smile:

Redoran Retexture?? I did suddenly look for traces of it and I found this review and also the DL. The guy wasn't to happy with my big dungeon so first I thought he would turn this one down as well... :wink: , but he did gave me 5 of 5 for this one:

https://youtu.be/byW6DZnl0So?t=347

Wrong forum, wrong time and place, but wth... :wink: I have not seen this for 15 years...

Edited by Pellape

I HATE DOORS!!!

Doors... At the moment I hate them - Why?

I have 4 gates at the farm and I want them to be kept closed when they are not used and there is a command for it: SetDoorDefaultOpen

So far so good...

My guard dogs and cats keep open them and that's fine but they do not close them so I started with tests yesterday.

1. Put a trigger behind the door that should sense when the doors activates it - It doesn't so I tested the trigger by walking in to it and it reported my char ref 14 - Damn door...
  2. I put a pitcher close to the door so when the door opened, the pitcher moved and reported it so I tried to use the pitcher to activate the door. Nothing can activate the bloody door then a creature or NPC it seems as the door itself cant activate itself. It doesn't work.

I do have a Yard Guard Cat, so I will put triggers at the bloody gate so as soon something is passing, should mean the gate is open and I take 5 sec pause and then I send the cat to close it with adding a AI to it and we see if that will work.

----------------------------------------

I HATE DOORS!!!!!!

It is not possible to use doors as targets in an AI package and it does not matter if the object is Persistent or not. I set a OnLoad, SetDoorDefaultOpen 0 on the gates and I have to live with them to be open as all bloody animals keep passing them... ;) Well I could delete the doors... But they must be kept for realism and Immersion...

Edited by Pellape

Hmm, the approach is probably way too primitive and lacking in many parts, but why not simply catching the activation event and starting a timer for an automatic re-close?

short open
float timer

Begin OnActivate
    set timer to 5 ;seconds
    set open to 1
    Activate
End

Begin GameMode
    if open == 1
        if timer > 0
            set timer to timer - GetSecondsPassed
        else
            set open to 0
            Activate
        endif
    endif
End

Could in theory be functioning.

Of course such a simplistic system can easily be gotten out of whack, if one really tries to. But then, these trials can also be caught and circumvented with further code.

Thanks DrakeTheDragon, but I did test to set a timer in a GameMode and to let the door activate itself for testing but it did not work... The only thing so far that are able to activate it is creatures and NPC's

I could make the gate/door to be an activator but only the player can use activators as far as I have noticed... Then it will work. Doors seems very special.

Another example how special doors are and I will use the same NIF in this exaple:

If we make a door, the object cant be moved to the player but if we take the same nif and make it to an activator, then we can move it around with scripts. I did notice this when I made my first teleport spell... We can't summon doors but activators are summon-able. It seems to be the same problem. Doors are not like any other objects.

Hmm, if that's the case, then let me quickly expand my sample script and add some GetActionRef to it:

short open
float timer
ref opener

Begin OnActivate
    set timer to 5 ;seconds
    set open to 1
    set opener to GetActionRef
    Activate opener
End

Begin GameMode
    if open == 1
        if timer > 0
            set timer to timer - GetSecondsPassed
        else
            set open to 0
            Activate opener
        endif
    endif
End

Let's see if that's better.

After all, why shouldn't the one opening it also be the one closing it again? And activating works entire world spaces away remotely.

Damn, that looks very nice and it might really work as well :smile: I will try it tomorrow for sure :D

The activate works remotely on everything, except doors... ;)

Edited by Pellape