Vortex's handling of The Witcher 3 needs updating

HadToRegister

OK, after using Vortex and using it to manage Mods for Witcher 3, the extension seriously needs some updating.

1. Some mods require you to make changes, or add lines to the user.settings, and input.settings files
Apparently the Witcher 3 Mod Manager can do that, however, with Vortex, it backs up those files, and will silently restore the UNEDITED user.settings and input.settings files, leading to manually entered keybinds and settings being reset, because Vortex see the files have been changed and restores them.
Vortex needs to stop protecting/restoring these files

Yes, I've tried all three SAVE (USe deployed file), Revert Changes, and Save (Use Newer file), it's a crap shoot as to which it does though, sometimes the settings stick, other times, they're reverted to what they were BEFORE I edited the files

So, either have Vortex be able to manage those files by being able to manually (Or automatically add lines to them), or have Vortex leave those files alone.

2. Another problem is the dx11fileslist.txt and the dx12fileslist.txt files
If a modder puts those in their mod zip, Vortex will overwrite the already existing dx11fileslist.txt and the dx12fileslist.txt and wipe out any and all menu entries you had entered manually.
So you can go from this

audio.xml;
display.xml;
gameplay.xml;
gamma.xml;
graphicsdx11.xml;
hidden.xml;
hud.xml;
input.xml;
localization.xml;
HPAS_menu.xml;
modOmdTrade.xml;
modNTakTime.xml;
DarkerNights.xml;
modAutoApplyOils.xml;
modSortEverything.xml;
AHDAutoLootConfig.xml;
modBetterMovement.xml;
modTurnOnTheLights.xml;
modProgressOnThePath.xml;
SetSkillPointsPerLevelMenu.xml;
modCarryWeightLevelUpBonus.xml;
modExtraRandomGwentCardFromMerchantsConfig.xml;

To this:

audio.xml;
display.xml;
gameplay.xml;
gamma.xml;
graphicsdx11.xml;
hidden.xml;
hud.xml;
input.xml;
localization.xml;

With one click, and no warnings.
Again, the Witcher 3 Mod Manager can actually add the menu lines to the dx11fileslist.txt and the dx12fileslist.txt without blindly overwriting them.

Vortex Witcher 3 mod management is a very basic/generic mod management, and could really excel with a few improvements, but right now it's a bit overzealous with restoring/protecting certain files.

Interesting. It might explain why my TW3 collection, which worked fine when I tested it months ago, is all of a sudden getting down voted as not working.

I tried using Vortex as the mod manager for both TW3 and Red Dead Redemption 2. I ended up abandoning Vortex for both games and using the community recommended mod managers instead - LML for RDR2 and W3MM for TW3, if I recall correctly.

For RDR2, some mods don't work when installed via Vortex - even the simple ones like skip intro screens.

I found a few threads regarding this on Nexus Mods, including in the Vortex support section of the forums, that have been completely ignored by Vortex support, even though the Vortex extension for RDR2 is created by Nexus Mods.

Edited by gnarly1

I tried using Vortex as the mod manager for both TW3 and Red Dead Redemption 2. I ended up abandoning Vortex for both games and using the community recommended mod managers instead - LML for RDR2 and W3MM for TW3, if I recall correctly.

For RDR2, some mods don't work when installed via Vortex - even the simple ones like skip intro screens.

I found a few threads regarding this on Nexus Mods, including in the Vortex support section of the forums, that have been completely ignored by Vortex support, even though the Vortex extension for RDR2 is created by Nexus Mods.

I would hazard a guess that the Skip Intro Screen Mod didn't work for RDR2 because it goes into a folder that the extension doesn't handle

For TW3, it resets some mod settings at the start of the game every time, but fortunately the mod settings seem to be saved in the save games, but if you check the settings in the MOd menu before loading a save game, the settings for some mods just keep resetting.

• 7 months later...