Do You Think the Delayed Creation Kit Will Have a Long Term Negative Effect on Modding?

mmaniacBG

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be obvious by now that Bethesda are purposefully delaying the release of the Creation Kit to disallow direct competition between free mods and the first 15$ of their DLC. Considering that the Creation Kit was originally developed for Skyrim's Creation Engine, and Fallout 4 uses an upgraded version of the same Engine, there is no way it should take them longer to transfer their work to Fallout 4.

I think the main reason that Skyrim's modding community grew so much from their previous titles was the early release of that kit - about 4 months after the release of Skyrim and 4 months before the first DLC. It came out just at the time when most people had just finished with the majority of the content of the main game. (and Fallout 4 is tiny compared to Skyrim) It also gave players something to do while waiting for the first DLC and promoted modders to create content for the game.

In contrast, Fallout 4 will have a very significant gap between the time when most people have had enough of the game and the release of the Creation Kit. Moreover,it will most likely come just before the first significant DLC and may not receive as much attention as a result.

How big of an effect do you think this will have on both the number of modders that stick around until then and the time they will dedicate to the game after the modding tools have finally been released?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Still no...

Hope you're right... Personally, I found the quests in Fallout 4... well, lacking and uninspired. My hope is that mods can fix that in the long run. I am even thinking of testing my luck at the CK, myself.

Citation needed.

Come on... :D

Do you really think it should be taking them more than 6 months to test the upgrade for an existing tool for their own upgraded version of the engine? How long did it take for modders to release FO4Edit, which is based on TES5Edit? 1 month, while playing the game and not getting paid... The creators of that tool even mentioned that the new engine is not much different from Skyrim's.

You just said it yourself that you don't even use the Creation Kit, so what could you possibly know about how to build a Creation Kit?

I totally respect and appreciate all the people on this website who don't build games and mod, without fans there would be nobody to play the games and mods that we make. But you are talking about a subject you don't understand here, and my experience building with half a dozen different game engines tells me that things are never that simple.

If a highly successful team of professional game developers says it takes 5 months, then who are you as someone who has never even attempted to make a game to say it doesn't?

More likely it's delayed because the work they need to do on Bethesda.net for it to support mods for PC AND consoles (and likely paid mods either from the start, or at some point) is taking a long time. And it would. It's going to have to be a robust and powerful platform.

More likely it's delayed because the work they need to do on Bethesda.net for it to support mods for PC AND consoles (and likely paid mods either from the start, or at some point) is taking a long time. And it would. It's going to have to be a robust and powerful platform.

Well, Howard said they plan on having the Creation Kit is April, Xbox mods in May, and Playstation mods in June. So they must have been putting a lot of work into the console part of things already if Todd Howard expects it to be released that soon after the PC stuff. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they have overhauled things to a large degree and the Creation Kit itself looks very different than Skyrim's.

In response to "When can we expect to see mods, especially on console side?"

Our goal is between the first two DLCs. It’ll go up at that time on PC. In April. All of that stuff will go up on PC. People are beta testing it. There’ll be a lag on consoles. We want to get it up on PC and have it work. It’ll probably be a good month before it hits Xbox One, and another month for PlayStation 4.

Yep, its annoying that the long pole in the tent is likely console support. As we lucky pc users don't need or want beth.net. Nexus all the way baby!

Speak for yourself, as a modder I want console mods. Double the audience to enjoy my artwork.

You also have to consider the 'unknown' variable in the room, that maybe some revamping to the Creation Kit will make it more stable than the Skyrim version. Much in the same way Fallout 4 has been a more stable game than Skyrim. Though that is not a fact I can prove, just a general pattern I have noticed.

But it could be better, or it could not be. We don't know, so we can't really judge Bethesda on something we don't know yet. If it comes out and it took 5 months and isn't any better than the Skyrim version, then you can complain.

Edited by TeamBacon

I just get the feeling it will be like the steam workshop. Lots of people who don't read readmes then complain when something goes wrong. Or worse yet, bugs that only happen on console versions of a mod. Causing people to try and fix an issue with a system they don't even own.

I just get the feeling it will be like the steam workshop. Lots of people who don't read readmes then complain when something goes wrong. Or worse yet, bugs that only happen on console versions of a mod. Causing people to try and fix an issue with a system they don't even own.

I'm betting it will not even be close to steam workshop. If you spend any time over on the official Beth Forums you'll see that they have a fairly decent moderation team.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how well my mods do on PS4 and Xbox. So saying PC modders don't care about Bethesda.net is way off base, I know of a lot of modders who are interested in seeing how this all plays out.

Bethesda has a working FO4 creation kit. It might be their own 'in-house' version but they have one. One thing that would stop them from releasing it is the presence of software they do not have the licenses to distribute. Those aspects would have to be removed before the FO4 Ck could be released.

Also, I agree with Dark0ne; Bethesda.net is no where near being ready for the flood of traffic it will receive if Bethesda intends to use it as a modding and distribution platform. That could be a consideration for delaying the CK's release.

Putting conspiracy theories aside, no one has any idea what Bethesda has planned for modding FO4. Todd Howard is being somewhat noncommittal and intentionally vague at times. While this gives Bethesda a window it also fuels speculation and borderline paranoia. When is it coming out? What's going on?

One thing I have noticed is some groups of people are losing interest in FO4. Their reasons are their own, but the lack of a CK and information about it doesn't help the situation with people who are already skeptical. People talk and skepticism spreads; just look at this thread and others like it on other forums. The atmosphere is tangible and Bethesda's silence isn't helping.

Whatever the reasons for the delay; a marketing ploy, internal delays, technical issues, legal problems, etc. I'm sure there is more than one solitary reason. Worrying about it won't speed up the process. I suggest doing what I'm doing; play something else until Bethesda gets their act together and then go back to FO4.