Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

I got it to work, but...

While importing settings from MO2, vortex creates a new mod download folder in Appdata (where it copies all packed mods) then throws every mod and plugin in the game directory. This results in a lot of lost space on the C: drive. (20gigs for FNV) Uninstalling vortex does not give an option to remove this data and leaves everything there. Instead you need to know in advance how to remove all mods and purge them from your system. No info about this is given beforehand, so you are left with deleting everything by hand and reinstalling your game to get your precious space back. Not really user friendly.

Not having a choice where the data is stored or having the option to point to a mod dir on another drive when installing vortex is just not working for me. I hope things will improve in the future, but I cannot endorse vortex at this moment.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it to work, but...

While importing settings from MO2, vortex creates a new mod download folder in Appdata (where it copies all packed mods) then throws every mod and plugin in the game directory. This results in a lot of lost space on the C: drive. (20gigs for FNV) Uninstalling vortex does not give an option to remove this data and leaves everything there. Instead you need to know in advance how to remove all mods and purge them from your system. No info about this is given beforehand, so you are left with deleting everything by hand and reinstalling your game to get your precious space back. Not really user friendly.

Not having a choice where the data is stored or having the option to point to a mod dir on another drive when installing vortex is just not working for me. I hope things will improve in the future, but I cannot endorse vortex at this moment.

This post is a good example of why people should do a bit of research before using and/or critiquing Vortex. Vortex does have some problems, but they are not the ones listed in this post.

Uninstalling Vortex and associated game data. It's not the user unfriendly mess described in the post. See the following link for removal instructions: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Removing_Vortex

Choosing directories:

Vortex allows you to choose a download directory: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/User_Interface_Overview#Download. You make your selection in the "Download Path" box.

Vortex allows you to choose an install location: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/1?tab=files. Use Vortex (custom install location) to make this happen.

Warning: Double Downloads

I'm seeing a nexus issue with downloads: Clicking Download With Manager starts a download in Vortex, no problem. But, the nexus popup with the Donate option then slowly fades in a Download button. This implies that the download has been delayed but is now available. If you click on this new button, you will initiate a second download of the same mod. This will require you to later remove the second instance from Vortex. Confusing and very annoying until you catch what's going on - which is not as obvious as it sounds here.

Otherwise, so far, so good - still working on conflict resolutions, of course.

Keep The Baby, Faith. :)

In response to post #64460086.

fritzfried wrote: Warning: Double Downloads

I'm seeing a nexus issue with downloads: Clicking Download With Manager starts a download in Vortex, no problem. But, the nexus popup with the Donate option then slowly fades in a Download button. This implies that the download has been delayed but is now available. If you click on this new button, you will initiate a second download of the same mod. This will require you to later remove the second instance from Vortex. Confusing and very annoying until you catch what's going on - which is not as obvious as it sounds here.

Otherwise, so far, so good - still working on conflict resolutions, of course.

Keep The Baby, Faith. :)

Yeah. you're double it up by clicking the download button after the auto-download started. Do you not get the Windows notification from Vortex when the download is started?

Now that it's in Beta I'll install it and use it for new games and some of my older games with few mods like Dark Souls, but I'm not ready to commit to re-installing and re-merging my 581 Fallout 4 mods. I did that once when I had half that and it took a week to get a completely stable load order.

I'm not really good with modding so i have 2 questions about Vortex (well, one based on me not knowing mods and another based on the fact that i'm not sure how i'm supposed to read that)

1- When there are conflicts with mods and i click on the "bolt" to fix them, what is loading after and what is loading before? example: if i click on the "bolt" for mod A and i select "Load after" on the conflicting mod, is mod A going to load after mod B or mod B after mod A?

2- When i install hotfixes or compatibility patches, which one is supposed to load first, the main mod or the hotfix/patch?

Edited by DanielC10

I'm not really good with modding so i have 2 questions about Vortex (well, one based on me not knowing mods and another based on the fact that i'm not sure how i'm supposed to read that)

1- When there are conflicts with mods and i click on the "bolt" to fix them, what is loading after and what is loading before? example: if i click on the "bolt" for mod A and i select "Load after" on the conflicting mod, is mod A going to load after mod B or mod B after mod A?

2- When i install hotfixes or compatibility patches, which one is supposed to load first, the main mod or the hotfix/patch?

1. For information on resolving mod conflicts in Vortex, see https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_File_Conflicts.

2. The main mod(s). In the case of a hotfix, typically only one mod is being fixed. That mod should load before its hotfix. In the case of a compatibility patch, typically two mods are being made to play nicely together. Ideally the two mods should load before the patch.