Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

-using vortex will I keep the same level of manual control

Yes, but in a different way than Drag and Drop, you make rules instead, telling Mod A to "load after mod B" etc.
THe MODS tab works with the Loose Textures/Meshes, and BSA, BA2 "load order" IE Which Texture/meshes overwrites another, which BSA2 gets priority over another etc.

-will moving my 127gb SSE folder into vortex be an issue? Both logistically and from a load order perspective

I think moving that many specifically edited/merged mods will be difficult for ANY mod manager, I would suggest to install another Betheda game, and mod it using Vortex to become familiairzed with how it works and what it does first, before committing 127gb to it.

-does vortex mess with load order without my consent, ie moving things without me wanting it to?

ONLY if you have AUTOSORT turned on.
Just disable Autosort if you don't want Vortex to automatically sort your Plugins IE esps, esms

-mod conflict resolution stuff, will it flag mod conflicts, any features with tie ins to xedit framework etc...

An Orange notification will pop up saying there is a file conflict, if you click on SHOW or MORE, it will filter the list to only the mods where there are file conflicts, then it's up to you to click on the red lightning bolt next to a mod and tell Vortex to either load the mod BEFORE or AFTER the conflicting mod.

- does it play nice with wyre WRYE (ftfy) bash?

Yes it does, I even run Wryebash right from the Vortex interface.
You can set up all of your editing tools right on the dashboard for each game.
I usually put Xedit, Wryebash/smash/flash, MatorSmash, BAE, BA2 Extractor,, etc in my Tools section on the dashboard.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to try Vortex and moved all of my Skyrim Special Edition mods to it. I had been using WryeBash but liked that Vortex could be used for quite a few of my games. Everything worked perfectly after switching over and I really like how easy it is to use. My only disappointment is that I can't use it for Dragon Age Inquisition. Thanks for creating Vortex and maybe adding DAI? please?

There are disquieting indications that Nexusmod's pending termination of NMM automatic downloads will precipitate a health crisis among a vulnerable group of NMM users. The physical, mental, and emotional stress of having to perform two extra mouse clicks to download a mod manually and then install it via NMM pose serious health risks for this group. Preliminary clinical trials indicate that likely disorders will range from carpal tunnel syndrome, psoriasis, acne, sleep apnea, and PTSD to hemorrhoids and constipation.

Dark0ne, it lies within your power to avert this health crisis. We implore you to take steps immediately to preserve Nexus links for this at risk group of NMM users who otherwise will be sucked into a vortex of sickness and despair.

Is this a browser ?

I was looking at the files in the vortex folder and it looks like chrome browser files.

I'm not sure how i feel about running what is basically a browser ,if true , and not being able to lock it down securely the same way i do with my normal browsers.

I like to have as much control as possible with my info and what gets sent out.

Edited by DONKEYMILK

In response to post #64376296.

HadToRegister wrote:

Yes, but in a different way than Drag and Drop, you make rules instead, telling Mod A to "load after mod B" etc.
THe MODS tab works with the Loose Textures/Meshes, and BSA, BA2 "load order" IE Which Texture/meshes overwrites another, which BSA2 gets priority over another etc.

-will moving my 127gb SSE folder into vortex be an issue? Both logistically and from a load order perspective

I think moving that many specifically edited/merged mods will be difficult for ANY mod manager, I would suggest to install another Betheda game, and mod it using Vortex to become familiairzed with how it works and what it does first, before committing 127gb to it.

-does vortex mess with load order without my consent, ie moving things without me wanting it to?

Just disable Autosort if you don't want Vortex to automatically sort your Plugins IE esps, esms

-mod conflict resolution stuff, will it flag mod conflicts, any features with tie ins to xedit framework etc...

An Orange notification will pop up saying there is a file conflict, if you click on SHOW or MORE, it will filter the list to only the mods where there are file conflicts, then it's up to you to click on the red lightning bolt next to a mod and tell Vortex to either load the mod BEFORE or AFTER the conflicting mod.

I usually put Xedit, Wryebash/smash/flash, MatorSmash, BAE, BA2 Extractor,, etc in my Tools section on the dashboard.

Question...with Vortex can I specifically tell one mod to always be at the bottom of my load order? Because some games don't play well with LOOT based sorting (F4, for instance) and if I can specifically tell Vortex that one mod always has to be at the bottom, I can build the rest of the list around it.

i used vortex when it was in early alpha stage earlier this year, and had to revert back to NMM almost instantly due to some ground-breaking bugs. since it has now advanced to beta i believe the stability would've improved drastically. but i still have one/several major questions.

1. i create a plugin using xEdit/CK. how will vortex react to this? xEdit and CK will save plugin directly into the Data folder.

2. BodySlide can batch build more than one mesh, replacing the original meshes a mod contains. how will vortex react to this activity such as batch building?

3. i pack a texture mod with loose files into ba2 archive. i proceed to delete all textures installed by the mod from the Data folder, then copy the ba2 archive into the Data folder. what will happen? or should I not touch the Data folder at all, and just modifies the mod install path vortex is managing?

Edited by calscks

Thanks to the entire Vortex Team. Job well done.

I to started with Alpha after the easy learning vids from Gopher.(he is a star in his own right)

I have tried over the years to learn modding but just could not understand the basics. Don't know why just was intimidating, maybe cause I am in my 60s.

But with those vids and Vortex WOW doesn't get any easier than that.

I would not worry about the naysayers there will always will be some of them.

Great manager Thanks a million to all.

In response to post #64376296. #64384116 is also a reply to the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

maximkovalenko wrote: Question...with Vortex can I specifically tell one mod to always be at the bottom of my load order? Because some games don't play well with LOOT based sorting (F4, for instance) and if I can specifically tell Vortex that one mod always has to be at the bottom, I can build the rest of the list around it.

Under plugins select the concerning esp, double click it, select "Locked to index" and enter 'FF' (I believe the load order is hexadecimal)

This is exciting. You're intro says that it's better/improve/does more, but you don't really go into what has been improved. What are the features of Vortex that are different?

For example, does it help me make merged files? That's probably the one thing I haven't really tackled on my own and would love to see handled better.

In response to post #64393851.

tjtchi wrote: This is exciting. You're intro says that it's better/improve/does more, but you don't really go into what has been improved. What are the features of Vortex that are different?

For example, does it help me make merged files? That's probably the one thing I haven't really tackled on my own and would love to see handled better.

For beth games you make merges and patches with xedit, not a mod manager. For other games I assume there are proper merge tools, but a mod manager won't be that.