Hope For The Best, But Expect The Worst

Zanderat

Nexus is a MOD hosting site, without our Mods, Nexus ceases to be a mod hosting site.

So yea, one leg can hold up a chair.

Without mods, they become one of several thousand "gaming sites"

No mods...no site.

No employees...no site.

No Members...no money...no staff...no site.

You are simply playing word games. This site started out as a mod hosting site with NO employees. Just the owner, and some volunteers. Mods made this site, mods are what this site is all about, without mods, this site has no reason to exist. Mod authors are the ones creating content that this site REQUIRES to continue to exist. If Nexus alienates their content creators, where are they going to get their new content, to keep people coming here?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

1000 what now? That explains why we're being tossed out of the GMAD.

Guest deleted34304850

Nexus is a MOD hosting site, without our Mods, Nexus ceases to be a mod hosting site.

So yea, one leg can hold up a chair.

Without mods, they become one of several thousand "gaming sites"

No mods...no site.

No employees...no site.

No Members...no money...no staff...no site.

not really sure what your point is here. we know its not a chair and we know its a (greedy) middleman that connects mod users with mod makers. its not the only game in town there are many alternatives - and thanks to their prediliction for shooting themselves in the foot continually - there are more ways than ever to get mods that used to be exclusive to here but are no longer.

i would suggest you're somewhat scared of the changes that are happening right now? go to discord - you'll find so many mods appearing there that used to be here and you may make new friends while you're exploring.

The idea that the upset modders pulling their mods is going to bring this site down is laughable.

But let's see who else is willing to put in the work to build a replacement site. I'm curious to see what the standard is when Starfield releases next year.

The idea that the upset modders pulling their mods is going to bring this site down is laughable.

But let's see who else is willing to put in the work to build a replacement site. I'm curious to see what the standard is when Starfield releases next year.

Now that is probably accurate. Nexus can essentially do whatever they want, and they will still have content to distribute. Even if there was a viable alternative.

Guest deleted34304850

it depends on what you are thinking as a "viable alternative".

do you want all the bells and whistles - which no mod maker actually needs - or do you just want the files, which is what every mod user wants?

if you think about it - the most basic file sharing site is already a viable alternative, it just depends on how much detail you want/need.

this week my fo4 game was decimated. after a weekend on discord 90% of the mods i lost were recovered thanks to the community spirit of the folks that got screwed over. the community spirit around those mods and their authors remains - its just not getting ground into the dust here.

it depends on what you are thinking as a "viable alternative".

do you want all the bells and whistles - which no mod maker actually needs - or do you just want the files, which is what every mod user wants?

if you think about it - the most basic file sharing site is already a viable alternative, it just depends on how much detail you want/need.

this week my fo4 game was decimated. after a weekend on discord 90% of the mods i lost were recovered thanks to the community spirit of the folks that got screwed over. the community spirit around those mods and their authors remains - its just not getting ground into the dust here.

Essentially, someone that has existing infrastructure to support the volume that nexus does. A central repository for game mods. Or can get it up and running quickly enough to meet the current deadline.... but, even if that happens, I seriously doubt we are going to see an exodus of enough mod authors to even come close to influencing the decisions that have already come down the pike.

Sure, some folks may upload subsequent mods to an alternative site, but, Nexus will still likely retain the bulk of uploads.

Guest deleted34304850

oh i dont doubt it - but people move on. nothing lasts forever.

but dont think this is the only game in town. it really isnt.

Yes, but Nexus Collections won't have that huge flaw.

It's worth noting that even the people who are against this have often pointed out how Nexus has almost always been on the side of the Authors before now. Authors are half a percent of the members on Nexus. Since this appears to be an either or situation, with no realistic way for both sides to win, is it a surprise that they are choosing to support the other 99.5% of the members this time?

Yes. But where does the content come from?

Zanderat, the opt out question is addressed in the news post, and I've since explained it in more detail here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10219828-opt-in-and-opt-out-choice-for-modders-is-the-least-nexus-should-do/page-2&do=findComment&comment=96509988

I am not talking about those who deleted their mods (choices have consequences) but in at least one case a mod author who was part of GMAD for ten years was kicked out even their mod was not deleted/hidden.

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

Hi, BB. Yes, you explained it. But I don't agree with your explanation, for reasons that I have outlined previously.