Hope For The Best, But Expect The Worst

Zanderat

Zanderat, the opt out question is addressed in the news post, and I've since explained it in more detail here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10219828-opt-in-and-opt-out-choice-for-modders-is-the-least-nexus-should-do/page-2&do=findComment&comment=96509988

I am not talking about those who deleted their mods (choices have consequences) but in at least one case a mod author who was part of GMAD for ten years was kicked out even their mod was not deleted/hidden.

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

Hi, BB. Yes, you explained it. But I don't agree with your explanation, for reasons that I have outlined previously.

I see BB still hasn't fixed THIS:

they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The explanation was the case of "we have set the word of god down".
We don't like it we got nothing to fight it.
"we have deleted as requested and due to that request you don't meet the criteria" You mean the forced Obey or die. Yeah sure it was a request and not the last method of control your giving them.

All website Mods at this point are going to go "read the post" the one that's LOCKED still because the clarity is a joke and everything they have to say for why its happening is "Its for the collection idea to work and that's literally the only reason"

There is no hope for the best. Not really. Its "lets hope its salvageable or maybe it can crawl on its hands and drag its body"

As every bad villain or corporation has said "Obey or die" "you will be assimilated" Etc etc etc.

Only way we could force them to listen is if someone was able to reach out to every mod author and have every one pull content. Completely empty the "vault" they plan on having. Cause then they will have nothing but a fancy Metal box with " The future of modding and our better system" and nothing to show and folks can move to the other sites salvage and rip stuff from here that worked (i.e program and layout) and become the new Mod hub location.

Edited by maxmanatarms

"we have deleted as requested and due to that request you don't meet the criteria" You mean the forced Obey or die. Yeah sure it was a request and not the last method of control your giving them.

All website Mods at this point are going to go "read the post" the one that's LOCKED still because the clarity is a joke and everything they have to say for why its happening is "Its for the collection idea to work and that's literally the only reason"

There is no hope for the best. Not really. Its "lets hope its salvageable or maybe it can crawl on its hands and drag its body"

As every bad villain or corporation has said "Obey or die" "you will be assimilated" Etc etc etc.

Only way we could force them to listen is if someone was able to reach out to every mod author and have every one pull content. Completely empty the "vault" they plan on having. Cause then they will have nothing but a fancy Metal box with " The future of modding and our better system" and nothing to show and folks can move to the other sites salvage and rip stuff from here that worked (i.e program and layout) and become the new Mod hub location.

Trouble is, the bulk of mod authors aren't active on the site any longer, so, a lot of material will remain. And some of the more 'download generating' authors aren't going to want to move their stuff, because of all the downloads they have gotten here.... Makes 'em 'famous'... or something. Don't expect a mass migration away from Nexus. Sure, some will leave, but, most will stay, and Nexus will continue doing what they are doing, and be very much assured they can do whatever they want, and no one can stop them.

Trouble is, the bulk of mod authors aren't active on the site any longer, so, a lot of material will remain. And some of the more 'download generating' authors aren't going to want to move their stuff, because of all the downloads they have gotten here.... Makes 'em 'famous'... or something. Don't expect a mass migration away from Nexus. Sure, some will leave, but, most will stay, and Nexus will continue doing what they are doing, and be very much assured they can do whatever they want, and no one can stop them.

Haha!! Joke's on them!!

My mods are so shitty they'll be stuck with them!

Ha ha!! Take that!! Forsooth!

I agree. If some of the big names take their mods out, maybe, just maybe Nexus reach out to the Mod Authors to try an understanding regarding the MA complaints over this holy path they are on...

Either way, it's already sad visiting some of the small games pages and see them almost empty.

Edited by Portucally

Short of every mod author who used licensed programs with purchased brushes/textures etc telling the company's and going "this website Nexus mods. They are profiting off your content without a license" and seeing if they will sue for lost of profits. and some company's can be petty and will bog folks down in lawyers.

Tho that brings a big question up. Did Nexus use a lawyer to confirm what they are doing is legal and follow all policy's when it comes to IP content and etc.

Haha!! Joke's on them!!

My mods are so shitty they'll be stuck with them!

Ha ha!! Take that!! Forsooth!

It's 2021, and I'm still waiting for your cows to pop in Fallout 4.

Short of every mod author who used licensed programs with purchased brushes/textures etc telling the company's and going "this website Nexus mods. They are profiting off your content without a license" and seeing if they will sue for lost of profits. and some company's can be petty and will bog folks down in lawyers.

Tho that brings a big question up. Did Nexus use a lawyer to confirm what they are doing is legal and follow all policy's when it comes to IP content and etc.

If they truly intend to do that, good luck with the lawsuits.

Zanderat, the opt out question is addressed in the news post, and I've since explained it in more detail here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10219828-opt-in-and-opt-out-choice-for-modders-is-the-least-nexus-should-do/page-2&do=findComment&comment=96509988

I am not talking about those who deleted their mods (choices have consequences) but in at least one case a mod author who was part of GMAD for ten years was kicked out even their mod was not deleted/hidden.

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

1,000 mods on their profile?

One mod with at least 1,000 downloads - unique downloads to be exact. I edited my post in this thread to correct the bit from your quote.

@BigBizkit

Thank you for the clarification :smile:

Also, you may want to check some of the posts in ... erm 1 of the other threads on this subject (I think it's the main one in GMAD.) As there seems to be people posting that requesting to have you mods deleted also nukes your whole Nexus account. AFAIK, that's untrue. (Wild?) Speculation on possible futures is one thing, but stopping outright misinformation is, I hope, still a priority for forum admins and staff.

@BigBizkit

Thank you for the clarification :smile:

Also, you may want to check some of the posts in ... erm 1 of the other threads on this subject (I think it's the main one in GMAD.) As there seems to be people posting that requesting to have you mods deleted also nukes your whole Nexus account. AFAIK, that's untrue. (Wild?) Speculation on possible futures is one thing, but stopping outright misinformation is, I hope, still a priority for forum admins and staff.

Thanks, I'll update the clarification post - though this is already addressed in the bullet point list on the news post and the deletion request template as well. We do not delete or ban users for requesting to have their mods deleted. They do lose access to the mod authors forum and they do lose access to mod author only perks, as they require the active state as a verified mod author (see above) - we've updated the template to reflect that as well.