Hope For The Best, But Expect The Worst

Zanderat

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zanderat, the opt out question is addressed in the news post, and I've since explained it in more detail here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10219828-opt-in-and-opt-out-choice-for-modders-is-the-least-nexus-should-do/page-2&do=findComment&comment=96509988

I am not talking about those who deleted their mods (choices have consequences) but in at least one case a mod author who was part of GMAD for ten years was kicked out even their mod was not deleted/hidden.

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 downloads on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

I like the point here of mod authors having a right to accept or decline inclusion in a collection. Would it be possible for the collection process to send a message to each author and say "your mod was chosen to be part of this collection - please deny or allow within 'x' amount of days "? Maybe there could be a setting for authors to "allow" mod in collections automatically or send notification for approval. Collections could be put on hold for that waiting period to receive the allow or deny response. If an author replied with deny, then the curator would be asked to submit collection without. It seems like there are a number of ways to resolve this - either globally or per mod within mod author's upload process.

Also, what about mods that are posted that are clearly out for collecting feedback and bug reports before a "final" version is released for mass consumption. Wouldn't Nexus want to clearly identify those with some flag to not include those in a collection. And wouldn't they want a clear path for the author to indicate those as such and a way to delete those test versions of mods (instead of archiving known broken/bugged mods)?

The point being, Collections will require regular upkeep and evaluation of user feedback to be (and stay) in any way reliable. Nexus Mods' approach (and subsequent treatment of authors) does not constitute some inherent utopia for end users, much as some would apparently like to believe that. ...This is in reference to someone's post about "reliability" above; I should've quoted that one.

No. Once a list is published it will stay as it is. The creator can create an updated version of the list and users will have the choice of using the original or the updated one. That is reliability. The choice will be up to the user.

Let me get this straight. Collections are being implemented for the sake of accessibility. (Ostensibly. Yes, there's also the $$$ aspect.) They're targeted at people who are maybe not tech-savvy, likely short on time, whatever. These same people, who are probably not overly interested in the inner workings of the mods they install, are then encouraged to use outdated but conveniently static content, all in the spirit of engaging even less with the particularities of the stuff they put into their games.

That's not reliability; it's errant complacency.

Guest deleted34304850

Zanderat, the opt out question is addressed in the news post, and I've since explained it in more detail here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10219828-opt-in-and-opt-out-choice-for-modders-is-the-least-nexus-should-do/page-2&do=findComment&comment=96509988

I am not talking about those who deleted their mods (choices have consequences) but in at least one case a mod author who was part of GMAD for ten years was kicked out even their mod was not deleted/hidden.

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

its great that you explained it - what's not great is that its obvious to everyone that your explanation doesn't stand up to scrutiny in the slightest.

i think the best thing you said in your 6k word salad was - if you don't agree you can leave. that was the most honest piece of the whole thing.

its great that you explained it - what's not great is that its obvious to everyone that your explanation doesn't stand up to scrutiny in the slightest.

i think the best thing you said in your 6k word salad was - if you don't agree you can leave. that was the most honest piece of the whole thing

You forgot one word there... but I understand...

As I explained earlier, the criteria to be in the mod author group are that they must have at least 1 published file with at least 1,000 mods on their profile. Anyone not meeting those criteria is not in the mod authors group and thus doesn't have the same forum permissions. Robin/Dark0ne addressed earlier why a number of users who shouldn't have had access based on these criteria have since been removed as well.

1,000 mods on their profile?

Yes, but Nexus Collections won't have that huge flaw.

It's worth noting that even the people who are against this have often pointed out how Nexus has almost always been on the side of the Authors before now. Authors are half a percent of the members on Nexus. Since this appears to be an either or situation, with no realistic way for both sides to win, is it a surprise that they are choosing to support the other 99.5% of the members this time?

Maybe because it's our content that the reason this site was started and still exists to this day in the first place?

Your content, the employees work, the members payments.

One leg doesn't hold up a chair.

Nexus is a MOD hosting site, without our Mods, Nexus ceases to be a mod hosting site.

So yea, one leg can hold up a chair.

Without mods, they become one of several thousand "gaming sites"

Nexus is a MOD hosting site, without our Mods, Nexus ceases to be a mod hosting site.

No mods...no site.

No employees...no site.

No Members...no money...no staff...no site.

No mods...no site.

No employees...no site.

No Members...no money...no staff...no site.

Exactly.

One thing is holding the entire operation up.

No mods--->No content---->no members------->no income---->nobody clicking ads------>no money to pay employees----------->no money to pay for bandwidth----->no site