Hope For The Best, But Expect The Worst

Zanderat

Funny, I've heard lots of complaints from people who have had computer fails and found that their save file backups are useless because they can't rebuild the same mod list as before.

Am I the only one on the planet who has actual on-my-hard drive copies of mods I use? The last person who clicks on the Download Manually button?

We humans are in danger of losing the ability to use our left click finger if that one extra click is the deal breaker.

You are not the only one. :D I think I still have almost every mod that I have downloaded, since oblivion. Both on a drive in my machine, and also backed up on my NAS. :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I've heard lots of complaints from people who have had computer fails and found that their save file backups are useless because they can't rebuild the same mod list as before.

And that has been an issue since mods first became a thing. Those complaints have also been coming from users. I haven't seen a single list curator complaining that every time a mod updates, they need to update their list. (which is what should be happening anyway. the updates, not the complaining.)

Why do you keep talking about the curators when Nexus has repeatedly stated that this is meant to benefit the mod users more than anyone else? The planned system allows people to keep the build they have or update when the curator does at their choice. Otherwise they might be forced to update and break their save games.

Am I the only one on the planet who has actual on-my-hard drive copies of mods I use? The last person who clicks on the Download Manually button?

We humans are in danger of losing the ability to use our left click finger if that one extra click is the deal breaker.

Removing the "you must be this skilled/experienced" to enjoy a well-modded game barrier has been the goal of modding for decades. It's why things like BAIN and LOOT and NMM and Vortex were developed in the first place.

You are not the only one. :D I think I still have almost every mod that I have downloaded, since oblivion. Both on a drive in my machine, and also backed up on my NAS. :D

An army of two ... we shall take over the world eh Hey?

And that has been an issue since mods first became a thing. Those complaints have also been coming from users. I haven't seen a single list curator complaining that every time a mod updates, they need to update their list. (which is what should be happening anyway. the updates, not the complaining.)

Why do you keep talking about the curators when Nexus has repeatedly stated that this is meant to benefit the mod users more than anyone else? The planned system allows people to keep the build they have or update when the curator does at their choice. Otherwise they might be forced to update and break their save games.

Removing the "you must be this skilled/experienced" to enjoy a well-modded game barrier has been the goal of modding for decades. It's why things like BAIN and LOOT and NMM and Vortex were developed in the first place.

Sorry but I'm not seeing how the jump from downloading manually to a folder that you can then keep for your own purpose and the 'skilled/experienced' stuff but I do have one question ...

Why is bigger always equated with better?

Army of three, actually. I only download my mods manually, and keep a couple of archived copies on separate drives, one of which is an external, and I have been doing this since I joined the site over ten years ago. It just seemed like the intelligent thing to do, and still does.

Army of four............

Do you guys think anyone is reading all the quoting your doing, you quote 5x more than you type as a reply, sometimes not even that and just a one sentence or a 3 word reply, just reply normally, maybe Nexus can also remove that darn quote button since its inconvenient for all the users to read all the useless quotes...

Edited by Guest

Sure no trouble ... glad to make your life as simple as possible.

Cue the evil laugh track as the army grows (now completely out of any context).

- Edit - Sorry Hey ... one step ahead. Do I get a :ninja: for that?

Do you guys think anyone is reading all the quoting your doing, you quote 5x more than you type as a reply, sometimes not even that and just a one sentence or a 3 word reply, just reply normally, maybe Nexus can also remove that darn quote button since its inconvenient for all the users to read all the useless quotes...

It lends clarity to just whom we are responding to. Simple as that.

You're being disingenuous. Even minecraft 1-click install modpacks on custom launchers are finicky when you update the pack, and often you end up having to start a new game because one of the bigger mods updated between versions and the stuff you've already crafted has changed IDs.

They're mods. Made by hobbyists. Not officially-supported DLC. To believe a complete neophyte will ever be 100% served, with zero knowledge or effort, by a system powered by people creating things mostly for themselves and always for free is just naive.

Is it a good idea to try? Sure. Is it a good idea to try and strongarm everyone into participating, to the extent that you alienate a good portion of your userbase to do it? Time will tell. I only just started modding (been a user of this site since 2013) but I'm done. Won't be uploading any more files if I can't control distribution and I know a good deal of folks who are in the same boat. Is it going to be easier in the future to install stuff? Maybe. But I won't care. I already know how to manage my own load orders. How to tweak things. How to customize things to my liking and how to develop small mods for myself. I learned because of this place. Because we had community and space to learn. Because I had to in order to fix bugs I created by installing stuff wrong.

So I'm just going to keep doing that on my own end and screw everyone else, I guess.

That's not how I wanted this community to grow, but tough. We got our ultimatum. We're making our choices with what little information we were given.

I feel like this new system will only widen the knowledge gap between user and creator.