⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Nice work....

Erenar

It's a shame to see how greed destroyed mod community. Not only o Nexus side but on mod authors too. Well i think we been on collision course for a while now (since 2015 and v1.0 of Creation Club). With very basic rule - From fans to fans - throw out of window this is what we get. After sitting with "mod communities" for almost 20 years I can say there will be no side that wins, there will be losers and there may be even more control from the "big players".

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main lesson we can learn from this all is the following:

Only put a .txt file or something similar, perhaps only an .esp file if its a mod that also needs other files, here on Nexus.

But then refer to another website where people can download the other part of the mod for it to function, or just put the entire mod on the other website if they arn't bullies like Nexus regarding authors rights over their own files.

The main reason why Nexus is doing this, is because they don't have real competition, they always lured in everyone with their lies about "this is an art gallery, but its your art to do with as you wish" while now they claim all the art for themselves, if I cannot control my files anymore, then Nexus claimed them, I don't care what they say with their "license" and how its legal and how they didnt claim anything, thats just fancy words so they can "pretend" they did no such thing while in reality they did claim my files.

Even if I would send them a GDPR request they would purge everything linking me to my mod files, effectively making the mod "ownerless" and still distribute them, how immoral is that, a license to distribute mods that no longer have an owner, that is such a one-sided deal that it cannot even be legal anymore because its exactly the same as some Asian site just stealing my mod and putting it on their website.

But yes, I know, we shouldnt talk like that, we should all focus on how nice Nexus is...

Edited by Guest

Even if I would send them a GDPR request they would purge everything linking me to my mod files, effectively making the mod "ownerless" and still distribute them, how immoral is that

I've always had my username in the metadata for my mods. That is considered personal data, so they would be legally obligated to delete the files. Unless they pull a sneaky one and edit it out of the files, which would be all kinds of nuts, but they can do it according to their ToS.

Guest deleted34304850

i dont think the tos would stop them doing anything and as you've seen they can be changed to suit very easily

i dont think the tos would stop them doing anything and as you've seen they can be changed to suit very easily

Most of the articles I am seeing on the various gaming sites don't think this was a good idea either. They think collections, in and of themselves are great, however, they pretty much universally pan nexus move to deprive authors of their rights to their own IP.

Not that I think anything short of legal action is going to cause them to change their minds on this......

It is a misguided attempt to overly simplify things to gain the casuals. Even if they disagree with an opt out, maybe Robin and crew SHOULD consider this option, as their primary suppliers seem to feel quite strongly about this. Respect is a thing.

I am quite certain there isn't going to be an opt-out option. A few key players (authors) would most certainly tick that box, and essentially break collections right out of the gate. Putting the onus on maintaining a viable collection on the collection authors though, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. That's how it currently works for everyone. Is it 'the best'? Probably not.... but, whether you are making a list of mods to install manually (a guide), or putting together a collection, the curator should be very much aware that things change. Mods get updated, or deleted. It's just part of the territory.

From what I have read, the one button download of a collection will only work with Vortex for premium members.

Anyone using any other mod manager or not being a premium member would have to download the mods individually.

Thus, forcing the use of Vortex for those not willing to download mods individually.

Next step, unskippable ads in Vortex, with the download not starting if an ad blocker is installed.