Trying to understand

MajorCyco

If Microsoft actually wants to offer up a truly serious solution to mods (especially for BGS games) Nexus can flail in the wind all they want. The captive audience on the console side will dwarf anything that can be done in PC space. So if they decide to steer BGS toward doing this in a much more serious manner than they are now, it creates a much more compelling reason to use 1st party hosting instead of 3rd party.

Even as crappy as the current BGS hosting solution is, that console audience is huge. Easily 5-10x the size of PC, and they're hungry for good mods - AND are generous crowd with donations on top of that.

Now imagine Microsoft gives BGS their blessing to leverage the platform for actual payments to mod authors instead of a rewards based system, and you end up with a scenario that makes the current Nexodus look like a walk in the park.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod authors deserve to retain the rights to delete their own files, the ability to have collections is perfectly possible without taking away that ability.

Any mod platform that prevents their users from doing so is not a place I'm willing to partake in.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I appearently greatly misread Arthmoor post or mistook it for another. So sorry for it and much confusion for myself included. Only thing i can recall is that i was reading one post while typing so could of been the wrong screen as i cant recall i will assume its me being the dumb. Sorry ya'll. Sorry Arthmoor.

I'm greatly for Mod author rights and besides the stray post last posted. I hope that does come through without to much confusion.

Edited by maxmanatarms

really nice and dynamic discussion here.

33 pages because of the obvious inabilility of nexusmods to treat mod authors like all others with the full respect as they did for more than a decade before.

as already said here: it seems to me nexusmods lost somehow its moral and content related compass here - but not yesterday. this happened months or even one or two years before.

the problems for mod authors with the new system exist, are proven and described and not only of philosophical nature. no doubt about that.

only pure ignorants can treat them as theoretical or as phantasy. it seems more that the new system has issues or is not stable and properly developed if basic features like file deletion are missing.

the question is if the nexusmods compass failure to introduce such an incomplete system is just coincidence or is it coincidence that the nexusmods decisions in the past looked like to be based on respect and proper planning ?

i don't know the answer but i know that respect is one of the chair legs that make a chair work and stable and if nexusmods thinks they do not have to care for a clear compass and proper planning and to gurantee that all members in the commutinty are treated with respect as a result and they further insist to go on this way that not all members deserve a minimum of respect and their basic rights they owned for over a decade without any issues - they will destabilize the whole site and destroy their positive image and their respect they earned over years and which made this site side strong and a magnet since a decade.

nexusmods is on the best way to destroy all that respect and renomee within a very short time and it seems they are not aware of that. the changed compass is not the result of severe changes within weeks but for a long priod of time, about at least 1 or 2 years.

the only reason why this all cumulates in these last few days is that their compass change was not communicated and so many people are still not aware that nexusmus decided not to be the nexusmods it was three years ago.

now more and more people - including me - realize that nexusmods positions turned 180 degree.

- respect for modders and their rights - was yesterday.

- basic rights as owner of a mod like file deletion - was yesterday.

- optional use of new features - was yesterday.

until 2018 nexusmods acted exactly in the opposite direction and respect and mod owner rights seemed an important value. somebody cared for the community and for mod authors.

i got my answer already from one staff member: we have to deal with a new nexusmods with a new compass for whatever reason. forget about old nexusmods from 2018 and what they said.

the funny thing is that all this content was dicussed three years ago with almost the same arguments. the diffrence is that nexusmods turned its compass 180 degrees since then. reason: unknown (or to push vortex ?) and for many quite a surprise.

the 33 pages and some other threads here show nicely how the process to deal with each other changed and i'm curious if this 180 degree turn is a process of destruction or not. at least i doubt that renewal works without a minimum of respect and the will to integrate all parts with full respect they all deserve.

new features ? no problem! but not optional with raw power like here? an absolute no go!

i hope that helps some or even most people to understand. if not this will be a neverending thread until the obvious system issues/shortcomings are solved in an acceptable and a respectful manner including all parties or even the most peaceful community members realize that something is deeply wrong here and will leave.

and if you don´t believe the stress that many authors are currently exposed to by nexusmods read this just as one example

thanks for listening/reading.

For mod users, a mod author deleting a mod is always sad. But it's their right. A user can always ask why.

I've lost my favourite Skyrim modder (the type people love her work but her mods are little hidden gems) and fortunately I found her in Discord. Yeah, other modders will come but nobody like her.

For mod users, a mod author deleting a mod is always sad. But it's their right. A user can always ask why.

I've lost my favourite Skyrim modder (the type people love her work but her mods are little hidden gems) and fortunately I found her in Discord. Yeah, other modders will come but nobody like her.

And that is pretty much what Nexus is expecting to happen. Some folks will leave, but, others will come along to 'fill the gap'. May not be the same type or quality of content, but, it will still be content. Which is what their business is based on.

Given the utter lack of response from staff, I don't expect Nexus to change their minds on this.

They were clear from the start that the "archive rather than delete" was not changing. They might give a bit on the "delete all or delete nothing" ultimatum. We should hear Monday or Tuesday.

And George Bush was clear from the start as well. "No new taxes." That didn't stop him from doing exactly that though.

Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

They don't, actually. Licensing a platform to distribute and/or display your content does not convey all of your rights in that content any more than licensing a copy of a game gives you any rights to the game's IP.

Most social media platforms recognize this fact, and provide users the ability to not only edit their content, but permanently delete it.

Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

They don't, actually. Licensing a platform to distribute and/or display your content does not convey all of your rights in that content any more than licensing a copy of a game gives you any rights to the game's IP.

Â

Most social media platforms recognize this fact, and provide users the ability to not only edit their content, but permanently delete it.

I'm not so sure about the delete part in regards to social media.

Their business model is founded on monetizing anything you post. I'm not saying that they don't sever the public's access to your deleted content, but I'd be very surprised to find out that they also no longer have access to it themselves.