Trying to understand

MajorCyco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a fascinating discussion and it brings me to a question. In a battle between Copyright Law and a ToS, who usually wins?

Copyright. :)

Of course, that assumes that someone actually takes it to court. I really don't see that happening.

This is a fascinating discussion and it brings me to a question. In a battle between Copyright Law and a ToS, who usually wins?

Nobody. The company will alter the TOS or settle out of court rather than risk a precedent being set.

what happens before i take something to court (what currently happens here on nexus)?

a complete loss of trust how things are handled and no chance for an amicable agreement.

and i don´t see any sign that nexusmods changes their course to make such an agreement possible in time.

consequence: complete loss of trust on the side of the mod authors who are aware what's happening and more following mod authors in future who currently not aware or are within or in the beginning of the process to understand what nexumods has done here to mod authors without reason and just with their raw power as the site owner.

what happens before i take something to court (what currently happens here on nexus)?

a complete loss of trust how things are handled and no chance for an amicable agreement.

and i don´t see any sign that nexusmods changes their course to make such an agreement possible in time.

consequence: complete loss of trust on the side of the mod authors who are aware what's happening and more following mod authors in future who currently not aware or are within or in the beginning of the process to understand what nexumods has done here to mod authors.

The key word there being "aware".... In the public section here, the outrage is already settling down/blowing over. No clue about the thread in GMAD. Granted, there has been a fair bit of 'news' coverage of this, but, for the most part, its just background noise. This thread will eventually fall off the first page, and the entire issue will blend into the background. Some mod authors will leave, others will take down some of their stuff, but, still others will leave everything here, and likely continue to update them. New authors will be along, and upload here as well, simply skipping over the ToS that a lot of folks never read. Just click the box, and away they go. Some will discover too late, that once they put their files here, they are here to stay. Some may never notice, others simply won't care. Life at nexus will go on. New material will continue to show up, just not from a selection of specific authors. No idea on if it will be the same quality/caliber of mods we see here now... (or, did, at least....) only time will tell there.

Nexus has no motivation to change course. Therefore, they won't. Notice that staff comes in here and reads the thread, but, seldom, if ever, actually posts anything. The silence is deafening.

the more mods are pulled the more there is a chance of awareness of the community including users. probably too late until 5th of august. but if all authors who are aware cancel to upload new content and offer it instead on other sites it surely will have a decent impact. we will see...

the way nexusmods acts urges mod authors to raise a new site which fullfills the needs nexusmods guaranteed in the last decade. and it will come under the current circumstances - I'm sure. it is inevitable without any other reasonable option but probably not during the "grace period". i'm sure a mod author with valuable content on this site is urged to pull it. who wants to go to court to ensure his mod ownership with all regarding rights in a critical case? most probably nobody.

No clue about the thread in GMAD.

It's been dead for awhile now and only going because trolls keep propping it up.

the more mods are pulled the more there is a chance of awareness of the community including users. probably too late until 5th of august. but if all authors who are aware cancel to upload new content and offer it instead on other sites it surely will have a decent impact. we will see...

The change to Nexus Mods has been felt in the smaller modding communities, and I know the Subnautica section of the site has lost a lot of mods, including newer versions of multiplayer mod Nitrox. There's an update about why they decided to pull future update here: https://nitroxblog.rux.gg/2021/07/21/the-nexus-event/

Personally speaking, I have been working on a complete UI overhaul mod for FFXII TZA, and it will not be on Nexus Mods now. After spending hundreds of hours documenting files, and also building on hundreds of hours of other community members' work, and tools, the last thing I'm willing to do is give up my IP rights. It's just not a good deal now, and it makes more sense to self host the mod/project and advertise it elsewhere.

It's been dead for awhile now and only going because trolls keep propping it up.

Maybe I am missing something, but how could "trolls" be in the GMAD group? (I thought you needed 1000 downloads to participate.) Or do you mean "people who disagree with you"?

Maybe I am missing something, but how could "trolls" be in the GMAD group? (I thought you needed 1000 downloads to participate.) Or do you mean "people who disagree with you"?

Are you suggesting mod authors can't be trolls? And I don't mind what anyone thinks. I've said before that Nexus Mods can do as they wish. The deal is just bad now for people in my situation where most of the work is done through reverse engineering and custom tools made by other members of the community.