Trying to understand

MajorCyco

mod drop doing collections also wasn't really a big deal to me, the part that bothered me a bit was the uploading and redistribution of mods on another server/platform without permission to do so.

Compared to Nexusmods uploading and redistribution of the entire File Front archive without without permission to do so, it was a minor slip.

I totally forgot that happened. Or rather I didn't pay it much attention at the time (when it happened I didn't really use filefront anymore). But to be perfectly honest, I think the context there gave them a pretty good reason to do it, plus it's not as if they didn't allow mod authors to contact them to claim files and such. Meaning if a mod author didn't want their file here, they could get it removed right? So, I think that is excusable since it was about preserving a ton of mods that were lost due to a site going under ... and as long as they didn't continue to host files from mod authors who had a problem with them being here ... seems fine to me. Though, I can understand the controversy of it a bit when it comes to files that mod authors probably to this day may not even know they were reuploaded somewhere else. But to be honest at that point .. does it even matter?

In short, for the sake of file preservation, and as long as you allow mod authors to claim and remove their files from such a situation, I think it's fine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it really just depends on how you view what they are doing and their reasons for it. Basically you and I are just weighing things out differently. Where as I see not being able to delete mods as just a minor inconvenience for the greater good, you and some others see it as a massive problem

I find it very impressive that after 113 pages in the thread you still haven't understood that technically there isn't a single logically understandable reason why you shouldn't be able to delete mods for the implementation of the Collection System. If anything this is a corporate policy decision, but certainly not something that needs to be implemented for the greater good of all.

I think it really just depends on how you view what they are doing and their reasons for it. Basically you and I are just weighing things out differently. Where as I see not being able to delete mods as just a minor inconvenience for the greater good, you and some others see it as a massive problem

I find it very impressive that after 113 pages in the thread you still haven't understood that technically there isn't a single logically understandable reason why you shouldn't be able to delete mods for the implementation of the Collection System. If anything this is a corporate policy decision, but certainly not something that needs to be implemented for the greater good of all.

Well, maybe not 'all'..... But, nexus will certainly profit from it, users will benefit from it, it will make mod list authors lives easier, as all they need to do is set up their collection, upload the file, and they never have to touch it again, even if every mod in it gets updated....... Mod Authors? I don't see any benefit for them at all. They lose the ability to delete outdated, possibly buggy mods. If those mods are included in collections.... well, you get an outdated, or buggy collection. How is that a benefit to anyone??

Mod Authors? I don't see any benefit for them at all. They lose the ability to delete outdated, possibly buggy mods. If those mods are included in collections.... well, you get an outdated, or buggy collection. How is that a benefit to anyone??

This x 1000.

It's clear that some people here suffer from extreme veteran entitlement around here so this will be my last post here. It's pretty obvious that a certain number of people can't see past their own noses. They can't understand how having a mod list that is stable and guaranteed to work with older and tested versions of mods is paramount to the success of any collection system. It's like saying that people should all be using test branches of software instead of stable versions because the test versions have extra features but might break everything.

I can understand the frustration of having some privileges/rights that you used to have suddenly taken away from you, but I find "very impressive" how after 113 pages you still can't see how this will greatly improve the system's functionality for everyone else.

Keep being you. The gifs were entertaining. Nobody really cares :D

I am guessing once this all rolls out we will see more than a couple MA's who get so sick of people complaining about old versions of mods that are included in collections having bugs and whatnot that they just hide the mod page and stop working on any current versions to reduce their grief. Thus removing the description, posts, useful info and of course means less mods and less MA's. At least so far Nexus has not addressed any way to keep MA's from being harassed over old content being included in Collections other than self moderation. Seems to be they are showing a callous disregard for the content creators that literally makeup the lifeblood of this site.

Seems that a lot of the "staff" have gotten very large heads over the years and have started to think that Nexus success is due to them and NOT due to the Games, Mods, MA's, and Mod Information hosted here. Its my opinion that ANY group of web dev's could have run this site and that it exists purely because of the community, the current staff were just lucky enough to come along for the ride. That being said there is no point in discussing it further with Nexus. Once people get as big of heads as they have then they cannot be convinced any choices they make that directly benefit them are wrong.

It's clear that some people here suffer from extreme veteran entitlement around here so this will be my last post here. It's pretty obvious that a certain number of people can't see past their own noses. They can't understand how having a mod list that is stable and guaranteed to work with older and tested versions of mods is paramount to the success of any collection system. It's like saying that people should all be using test branches of software instead of stable versions because the test versions have extra features but might break everything.

I can understand the frustration of having some privileges/rights that you used to have suddenly taken away from you, but I find "very impressive" how after 113 pages you still can't see how this will greatly improve the system's functionality for everyone else.

If you are biased and can only see one possible technical solution, then your reasoning is understandable. But since it is only one possibility out of many, it is just another meaningless comment. As someone noted earlier, the difference is merely that Nexus doesn't want any other solution. It is not a matter of other solutions not being possible. Everything beyond that is pure populism and propaganda without any technical basis

Wabbajack, and autmatron have been doing the exact same thing for a couple years now, WITHOUT depriving mod authors of rights. It is up to the LIST AUTHOR to keep them up to date. Why anyone would want a collection with outdated (and possibly buggy) mod in it, is a question I don't have an answer for.

Â

Now that we've been reduced to posting gifs, even I'm in favour of closing this thread.

Â

Â

Or you could, y'now, just leave the thread and stop reading it.

That's always an option, you don't HAVE to post in every single thread, or have the last word you know.

Â

Says the 19k posts guy.

Don't understand why a certain sub set of people are being so aggressive. ¯\_(ã)_/¯

Maybe have a look at that person's posting history and you'll find a whole bunch that are no more than trying to help somebody sort out their install/Vortex issues.

Then have a look at those on your brand new account and see what story your own tell about you.