Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I do not mod but am a premium user. My concern under the proposed collections scenario that not only do Modders lose control of their intellectual property; but the Collections itself are limited only to Vortex users. Although Vortex is a fine product, I only use it when there isn't a dedicated mod manager, al la. MO2 to handle load list. Why are the Collections not made available to the other mod managers? It seems that Nexus is trying to build a complete enclosed ecosystem that not only freezes out the Modders from control of their content, but also forces Collection users to use Vortex as their primary platform.

The reality is their explanations for locking down the mods in perpetuity ring hollow, if Modders themselves can maintain their mods up-to-date with various changes both in game itself and in relation to other mods, why can't the curators do the same with a simple collection list? It is obvious to me that Nexus has an evolving agenda and this whole Collection policy is just the start to something much larger. Dare I suggest the next stage would be to make the entire site collection based and then to monetarize the entire endeavor?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not mod but am a premium user. My concern under the proposed collections scenario that not only do Modders lose control of their intellectual property; but the Collections itself are limited only to Vortex users. Although Vortex is a fine product, I only use it when there isn't a dedicated mod manager, al la. MO2 to handle load list. Why are the Collections not made available to the other mod managers? It seems that Nexus is trying to build a complete enclosed ecosystem that not only freezes out the Modders from control of their content, but also forces Collection users to use Vortex as their primary platform.

The reality is their explanations for locking down the mods in perpetuity ring hollow, if Modders themselves can maintain their mods up-to-date with various changes both in game itself and in relation to other mods, why can't the curators do the same with a simple collection list? It is obvious to me that Nexus has an evolving agenda and this whole Collection policy is just the start to something much larger. Dare I suggest the next stage would be to make the entire site collection based and then to monetarize the entire endeavor?

You could say the same thing about Wabbajack Collections which are made, and only work with MO2.

Why are the Collections not made available to the other mod managers?

First: Because Vortex is the mod manager that Nexus owns and has development control over.

Second: We don't know if any of the functions will be made available to other mod managers

however,

Third: the method that Vortex uses for conflict resolution is so different from the method that MO2 uses that the data created by Vortex might be unusable in MO2 and vice versa.

As OldSaltyCroc put it Dark0ne( Robin Scott ) the owner of Nexus Mods has literally lied/cheated/tricked to steal and hold content. ( For those asking how changing TOS and putting in "we can and will keep content that was before provided as a use while allowed to me is stealing as they are changing the paper work to go "we own your works now" without reconfirming tos agreements with users with the new rules. ) At this point i really hope when everything is official folks go after him. As not all users are EU based and US Law and international law can and have proven to be stronger then EU law when it comes to theft of IP/Content or where profits are shown or the reason for said thefts or "contracted based archiving" and i feel he has forgotten while he is "god". there is a real world outside his website and computer and folks have paid to find information about folks that have wronged them.

also typical just in case folks try to say I'm endorsing it.
"I dont condone the use of any action to track down personal info or condone the use of force/threat/harm to individuals "

Just it happens its in the news from time to time world wide and this "forced archiving" has cased a massive schism to mod users/makers world wide i would say.

Edited by maxmanatarms

Good

Enjoy your life!

Hope you can find activity or hobby that you enjoy doing since it isn't making modifications to commercial games free for others.

There are dozens of other sites one can post mods to. Nexus is not the only one of them out there. We as mod authors can exist without Nexus, but Nexus cannot exist without us.

It's kinda funny. I never considered seriously the reality of trying to monetize mod creation. I'm pretty sure Nexusmods has done that as well as anyone could. I doubt Nexusmods' owners/employees are driving Maybachs; I don't even know if it is a living, so kudos to Nexusmods.

On the other side of this coin are the mod authors -- my limited experience with whom has, on balance, been less than desirable. I've distributed >$200 to 20 different mod authors and received exactly one (1) thank you in return. Manners are rarely innate and must be taught.

I'm aware that 20 is not a significant sample size, so this must not be interpreted as representative. And with that in mind, I'll continue my customs.

I don't know about most other authors, but in my personal experience the people who I used to send thank-yous to would often react as though I'd broken into their homes or something. They honestly had no idea their information was made available. This happened often enough that I figure most people just don't get how the whole setup works so I stopped responding to any of the emails Paypal sends me.

The reality is, direct donations reveal an awful lot about your donors they may not realize is being revealed. At the same time, it reveals an awful lot about us as mod authors too that in some cases we may not want being known to some random person on the internet. Funneling it through either Patreon or the DP system preserves a measure of privacy for both sides.

Fear of giving offense is no excuse for rudeness.

As the only person giving an on-topic response, I commend you :P

It's not fear of giving offense. It's personal experience that "being nice" isn't met with the expected silence or return response. It's genuinely been the case for me that every single person I used to do that with had no idea we even had the capability to respond. They believe it's an anonymous system. It's far from that, and I think a lot of people would balk at knowing just how much we all know about people who do that.

You personally may see it as rude that only 1 out of 20 mod authors responded at all to you, but we do tend to talk, and we share our experiences, and this is one most of us have in common. People have no idea how much information Paypal is passing along.

Wow, I go away for a couple of days and stuff explodes again. Have they given back GMAD access to people who, for one reason or another, don't have the mod here anymore? No? Well, it's ok. No intentions to post mods here again.

So, what's going on here... oh, still word salads, now with some texmex on the side.

Welp, back to my real life dev job, and modding for myself only.

Ah, guys, on another note... if anyone is playing WL3 and wants to keep oil, commune and baby boy without funkies in the head, drop me a pm and I'll tell you how to do it. Takes a bit more tinkering that what is said in certain threads but I got it working.

There are dozens of other sites one can post mods to. Nexus is not the only one of them out there. We as mod authors can exist without Nexus, but Nexus cannot exist without us.

In my case, this is unfortunately not so easy

In my case, this is unfortunately not so easy

I'd be curious why it's not so easy.