Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I left Nexus a decade ago and took my mods with me. Now, I have come back to the same old excrement. Nothing seems to change here, but, I am trying to catch up. To that end, I have been reading this tread and others and I want to make sure I understand the new direction Nexus is taking and the anger being expressed by some authors.

- Authors are angry because Nexus (Robin) changed direction and claimed proprietary rights over the authors' Intellectual property.

- Authors are angry because they were not told about this change in direction until it was already in place and they had no way out.

- Authors are angry because they feel betrayed by Robin, who long preached "authors have complete control over their mods", and now he has aggressively reversed that position.

- Authors are angry because they do not want their mods to be part of Mod Packs, and resent being forced to participate.

Running through all of these is as hint of anger at the passive/aggressive manner Robin has taken in the announcement and implementation of this new direction. The proverbial "Tough, like it or lump it, my way or the highway" approach has put some folks off.

I am deliberately ignoring the inevitable authors and users who think that the anger is just because the authors who are angry are "spoiled, entitled babies who need fresh nappies". (I had to google "nappies".)

If, as you say, nothing seems to change here, why do you need to catch up?

This thread exists precisely because of changes....

They mean generally nothing changed in the tone Nexus has, but I guess you know that what that person meant, didn’t you.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left Nexus a decade ago and took my mods with me. Now, I have come back to the same old excrement. Nothing seems to change here, but, I am trying to catch up. To that end, I have been reading this tread and others and I want to make sure I understand the new direction Nexus is taking and the anger being expressed by some authors.

- Authors are angry because Nexus (Robin) changed direction and claimed proprietary rights over the authors' Intellectual property.

- Authors are angry because they were not told about this change in direction until it was already in place and they had no way out.

- Authors are angry because they feel betrayed by Robin, who long preached "authors have complete control over their mods", and now he has aggressively reversed that position.

- Authors are angry because they do not want their mods to be part of Mod Packs, and resent being forced to participate.

Running through all of these is as hint of anger at the passive/aggressive manner Robin has taken in the announcement and implementation of this new direction. The proverbial "Tough, like it or lump it, my way or the highway" approach has put some folks off.

I am deliberately ignoring the inevitable authors and users who think that the anger is just because the authors who are angry are "spoiled, entitled babies who need fresh nappies". (I had to google "nappies".)

If, as you say, nothing seems to change here, why do you need to catch up?

This thread exists precisely because of changes....

No relative information, not valid data, no additional facts. Just a thinly veiled insult. Your post is just the kind of excrement I was referring to when I said nothing ever changes.

Up until recently Robin was known for supporting the Mod Authors rights above all else. Site moderators and admins wouldn't even intervene if a Mod Author banned a user outright. It was entirely up to the MA to make decisions about their own pages.

Now, the complaint is that Robin doesn't care about Mod Authors at all. They even had a Formal Warning given to a moderator for a popular mod for mistreatment of a user.

So, you saying that nothing has changed in the last decade does not seem to make much sense on the face of it.

They even had a Formal Warning given to a moderator for a popular mod for mistreatment of a user.

Not sure what exactly you are referring to. But it is possible for a mod's moderator to be abusive. Supporting mod authors shouldn't include 100% immunity if they behave badly.

Up until recently Robin was known for supporting the Mod Authors rights above all else. Site moderators and admins wouldn't even intervene if a Mod Author banned a user outright. It was entirely up to the MA to make decisions about their own pages.

Now, the complaint is that Robin doesn't care about Mod Authors at all. They even had a Formal Warning given to a moderator for a popular mod for mistreatment of a user.

So, you saying that nothing has changed in the last decade does not seem to make much sense on the face of it.

Your deliberate inability to make the connection between "I have come back to the same old excrement" and the very next sentence, "Nothing seems to change here" is simply unparalleled. But you do illustrate my point equally well, so thanks for that.

No relative information, not valid data, no additional facts. Just a thinly veiled insult. Your post is just the kind of excrement I was referring to when I said nothing ever changes.

Your initial post was fairly insulting and not even thinly veiled. While you timidly ran away 10 years ago, some of us stayed around and contributed to the community. To have that described as the 'same old excrement' is, well, given you seem to have a scat fetish, let's call it 'total bullsh!t'.

I'm not here to provide you with information, but if you're so emotionally fragile that someone noting that parts of your post didn't make sense then elicits this type of response from you, it's no surprise that you weren't able to handle being here 10 years ago.

Next time you intend to wade into a discussion with a total lack of aplomb I recommend you exercise some discretion first.

Edited by gnarly1

They even had a Formal Warning given to a moderator for a popular mod for mistreatment of a user.

Not sure what exactly you are referring to. But it is possible for a mod's moderator to be abusive. Supporting mod authors shouldn't include 100% immunity if they behave badly.

I agree. But I've never seen the site moderators warn a mod's moderator before. It seems indicative of a change in attitude for the site staff.

Your deliberate inability to make the connection between "I have come back to the same old excrement" and the very next sentence, "Nothing seems to change here" is simply unparalleled. But you do illustrate my point equally well, so thanks for that.

I'm beginning to think that the presence of excrement coinciding with your presence is not a coincidence.

Your initial post was fairly insulting and not even thinly veiled. While you timidly ran way 10 years ago, some of us stayed around and contributed to the community. To have that described as the 'same old excrement' is, well, given you seem to have a scat fetish, let's call it 'total bullsh!t'.

I'm not here to provide you with information, but if you're so emotionally fragile that someone noting that parts of your post didn't make sense then elicits this type of response from you, it's no surprise that you weren't able to handle being here 10 years ago.

Next time you intend to wade into a discussion with a total lack of aplomb I recommend you exercise some discretion first.

You can't help yourself can you. The excrement just flows forth endlessly.

I note that you posted my reply, but you omitted my original post and your comment. Given that you state my original post is "was fairly insulting and not even thinly veiled", that seems a glaring omission. Is that deliberate omission timidity? Cowardice? Or just another way to lie? That must be it. You can't make your point without mutilating the facts and obfuscating the truth.

Now I see you for what your are. A font of excrement which has no basis in the real world. A prevaricator. An industrial strength manure spreader.

Bugger off, liar.

Guest deleted34304850

Nexusmods cannot be compared to Bethesda. The latter created TES and a unique gaming modification ecosystem whereas the former is just a moderated file hosting service. Bethesda can charge anything they want for derivatives of their property whereas Nexusmods has 0 IP assets.

oh i dunno they have a backend system that can't deal with deletes - thats pretty unique!!