Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very easy to do. My story wants a door in a certain building. I check the list, nobody has used that building, so I go ahead and use it, and not e that I've done so. Then you come along and want to use it for your story. You see I've used it. Now you can avoid a conflict with my mod by choosing another one. No point in making a mod which will cause the users a headache.

You wrote before that it's too late now, but you're still arguing the toss.

Clearly you don't think it's too late. During the time you've devoted to whinging and arguing in this thread you could've created a rudimentary database and populated it with a fair amount of data by now.

Unfortunately it seems you enjoy arguing and moaning more than contributing positively to the community.

TL; DR: put up or shut up....

I have not said it's not too late. I mentioned something that should have been done from the start.

If AFT had noted down the changes, you could have searched for them and avoided conflicting with them.

You missed the point. Why should I care what changes AFT makes? I don't use it. I think the whole "save your spouse who you know was shot point blank with a .44 magnum and is likely missing a large chuck of spine" is stretching things way too far, even for a Fallout game. So why should I be forced to install AFT, and all the changes it makes that I don't like, to make sure my mod doesn't conflict with it, because I'd have to install it to do that. And more to the point why should I be required to make my mod an extension of theirs?

Because the less mods yours conflicts with the more people can enjoy it.

no i'm reading what you wrote.

this is nothing like building a house. nothing.

its an analogy that doesnt work.

okay, no - here's the analogy using your house model.

you have a house.

now divide that house into chunks each chunk 5mm square.

now build your house, but before you build it - you make a list of every 5mm square, so that when you put down the foundation, you update your list so all those 5mm squares are part of the foundation.

then do the same for the external walls.

then do the same for the internal drywall.

then do the same for the waterproofing on your floor, to keep it from getting wet. oh but wait, that collides with the foundation. no - its okay, i put the flooring in AFTER the foundation.

now do the same for the floorboards.

now do the same for the power/gas/water pipes - oh but wait, i have to check the foundation/floor/floorboards

repeat ad infinitum.

do you see now, why it doesn't work, using your own "build a house" analogy?

It wouldn't be like that. You list important changes, for example "I've connected a 15 amp device to line 4 running under the hallway". Another electrician now knows if he does the same the circuit will overload. Or closer to what happens in Fallout 4 mods, "I'm repurposing this wall to be a door". Then another guy comes along, doesn't read the note, and changes it to a different door.

like i said previously - when people make analogies that simply don't work, its because they really don't know what they're talking about.

The analogy works just fine, both are about people making changes to an area that conflict with each other.

It's very easy to do.

Since it's so easy to do, why aren't you doing it?

Go ahead and start

Not easy in hindsight. Although I suppose someone could download 3500 mods and analyse them.

This was discussed all the way back to the Oblivion days. It just isn't practical. Aside from the fact that enough mods come out that eventually you'd use up every practical location anyway, people often choose the same location for story reasons. Or because they like it.

It's very easy to do. My story wants a door in a certain building. I check the list, nobody has used that building, so I go ahead and use it, and not e that I've done so. Then you come along and want to use it for your story. You see I've used it. Now you can avoid a conflict with my mod by choosing another one. No point in making a mod which will cause the users a headache.

But, the story I'm telling needs it to be in that specific building. I guess you better move your door.

Or, we can just make patches as needed.

Can't we have doors on different sides of the building?

And besides, if mod makers did make such a list:

How would you identify each building?

Like "that one ruined building with the broken wall across from that other place" ?

Sure, that would work great .....

Or by RefId?

That would still require mod authors to open that cell up in the CK and look around there to see if their mod would interfere ...

Would be great if "somebody" would make a very high detail map of FO4 where we could all mark down things like that ...

But that would just be like using the RefId of the building / the RefId of one of the building parts: The mod makers would still have to open the mod and check "by hand".

RefID would work. Let's say I'm considering making a mod to use a certain building, I simply find the RefID, look up to see if anyone else has used it, if not I go ahead. If they have, then I look into a way around it, or use another building. If I'm going to publish a mod, I don't want to limit its use to people who don't have the other one.

Clearly you don't think it's too late. During the time you've devoted to whinging and arguing in this thread you could've created a rudimentary database and populated it with a fair amount of data by now.

Unfortunately it seems you enjoy arguing and moaning more than contributing positively to the community.

I have not said it's not too late. I mentioned something that should have been done from the start.

I'm not even sure you know what you wrote. But here's what you wrote earlier in this thread:

hucker75, on 20 Aug 2021 - 01:19 AM, said:

It's too late to do it now. It should have been done when the game was created.

Edited by gnarly1

Not easy in hindsight. Although I suppose someone could download 3500 mods and analyse them.

I notice all of your suggestions always have SOMEONE, or SOMEBODY ELSE doing all the work.

Not once have I seen you volunteer to take on the task yourself, to make this "Easy to make" list that you want so badly, that would help modders, and mod users.

Buildings don't have one RefID, they are made from sometimes hundrets of individual modular parts.

So, which RefID do you pick?

See how this does not work ... ?

There must be some way to refer to a building. Even if it's just stating the cell, then a description.

I'm not even sure you know what you wrote. But here's what you wrote earlier in this thread:

hucker75, on 20 Aug 2021 - 01:19 AM, said:

It's too late to do it now. It should have been done when the game was created.

"I have not said it's not too late" agrees with "It's too late to do it now" - cancel the two nots.

I notice all of your suggestions always have SOMEONE, or SOMEBODY ELSE doing all the work.

Not once have I seen you volunteer to take on the task yourself, to make this "Easy to make" list that you want so badly, that would help modders, and mod users.

I cannot take on the task myself, neither can anyone else without a huge amount of work, because it wasn't done from the start as it should have been. Imagine finding a huge library with no catalogues as to what books were put where.

As I said earlier, this idea has been around for at least fifteen years and has never been done because it is not needed and not a good idea. Nobody will ever have so many mods installed that the problem can't be fixed with patches, and anything that discourages people from modding how they want is bad for the hobby.

I cannot take on the task myself, neither can anyone else without a huge amount of work, because it wasn't done from the start as it should have been. Imagine finding a huge library with no catalogues as to what books were put where.

But that's EXACTLY what you're SOMEONE ELSE to do.

And like has been answered MANY TIMES.

REFID is used for a reason.

You keep coming up with suggestions that show that you don't know what you're talking about, while trying to pass it off as "EASY", but when you're told to do it, all of a sudden it becomes "IMPOSSIBLE" to do.

And NO, "Modders shouldn't have done it from the start as it should have been", because the amount of mods wasn't a problem.

Just please stop at this point, this is seriously going into Troll territory now