⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Mods Persist Between Profiles?

TripleBork

Just because you personally don't have an issue with it doesn't mean no one else does. It can't possibly be super hard to implement a "filter by current profile".

But this mod manager is extremely frustrating to me tbh. Not being able to fully sort manually is messing up a lot of stuff. Sorting with "lock to index" is a bit confusing with it's weird numbers, instead of 1-300 it's 1-99-A1-A9. Very automated but sometimes automation messes up mods and modpacks.

You can "filter by current profile", you just filter by mods in status "Enabled", that is the mods included in the current profile.

I don't see how profiles could have separate pools of mods but also an option to share mods without the UI become more complex instead of less. You would still have to see all the mods so you can share them but then you would need another indicator to show which profile they are associated with.

If we had an option to hide a mod in one profile, you'd still need a way to unhide it if that happened accidentally.

If the intention for wanting this is because you expect that to make the UI more clear, I don't think it would actually do that in practice.

Sorting with "lock to index" is a bit confusing with it's weird numbers, instead of 1-300 it's 1-99-A1-A9. Very automated but sometimes automation messes up mods and modpacks.

That "weird number" (hexadecimal) is important if you want to figure out the IDs of items introduced from that mod, that's why we're showing it. That's why locking by index works by the index: The purpose of that feature is to ensure the ids don't change, not for you to manually order the list by your preference.
For you as a user you want to look at the load order, not the mod index.

No offense but the fact that you don't know what the mod index is kind of reveals what level your understanding of modding for these games is. You demand fully manual load ordering but you clearly don't understand the consequences. You _think_ you want it in the same way a little child thinks it wants to touch a hotplate.

Just because you personally don't have an issue with it doesn't mean no one else does. It can't possibly be super hard to implement a "filter by current profile".

But this mod manager is extremely frustrating to me tbh. Not being able to fully sort manually is messing up a lot of stuff. Sorting with "lock to index" is a bit confusing with it's weird numbers, instead of 1-300 it's 1-99-A1-A9. Very automated but sometimes automation messes up mods and modpacks.

but you CAN sort manually - and you should really seldom have a use for lock to index. in what circumstance are you being forced to use that feature? i mean just because its there doesn't mean you need to use it.

also - sorting - can you give an example of vortex sorting mods incorrectly and causing issues? evidence over opinion please.

One of many instances I've come across so far is: I have a collection which uses True Grass and Pine Forest Redone. These add grass that comes through the floor in settlements. So I got a few mods that remove grass under settlement buildings. Autosort places these mods in the wrong place and they need to be after True Grass and Pine Forest Redone, so I have to manually lock to index each plugin. I tried adding them to "Late Loading Patches" but that did literally nothing.

Another one is: I get a mod that remodels Red Rocket Gas Station. Another mod I have that puts some objects in that area overrides it. The remodeling mod needs to go after, but autosort places it many many many plugins before so I have to lock to index. "Late Loading Patches" also does nothing here.

And: Race mods need to go after mods that effect the player, like CBBE or any texture mods. Autosort is not placing them after, so I have to lock to index. Again, "Late loading patches" does nothing.

You can "filter by current profile", you just filter by mods in status "Enabled", that is the mods included in the current profile.

I don't see how profiles could have separate pools of mods but also an option to share mods without the UI become more complex instead of less. You would still have to see all the mods so you can share them but then you would need another indicator to show which profile they are associated with.

If we had an option to hide a mod in one profile, you'd still need a way to unhide it if that happened accidentally.

If the intention for wanting this is because you expect that to make the UI more clear, I don't think it would actually do that in practice.

Sorting with "lock to index" is a bit confusing with it's weird numbers, instead of 1-300 it's 1-99-A1-A9. Very automated but sometimes automation messes up mods and modpacks.

That "weird number" (hexadecimal) is important if you want to figure out the IDs of items introduced from that mod, that's why we're showing it. That's why locking by index works by the index: The purpose of that feature is to ensure the ids don't change, not for you to manually order the list by your preference.
For you as a user you want to look at the load order, not the mod index.

No offense but the fact that you don't know what the mod index is kind of reveals what level your understanding of modding for these games is. You demand fully manual load ordering but you clearly don't understand the consequences. You _think_ you want it in the same way a little child thinks it wants to touch a hotplate.

Afaik from looking stuff up and looking through the options, there is no way to manually sort load order, only plugins with index. The only way you can ever change the load order of mods in the mods tab is if Vortex thinks there is a conflict. Sometimes it does not think anything is wrong, so you can't change it. Going into the thing for file conflicts or managing rules shows nothing for that mod.

Iirc NMM had manual sorting where you could click and drag to change load order.

Well I found the tutorial button and clicked it and went to load order, added a new group and put it at the very end. Late Loading Patches wasn't doing anything because it's not even set up. I guess I am the fool, now.

Still I don't understand why this is so much better than click and drag that previous iterations had when it's more complicated.

Well I found the tutorial button and clicked it and went to load order, added a new group and put it at the very end. Late Loading Patches wasn't doing anything because it's not even set up. I guess I am the fool, now.

Still I don't understand why this is so much better than click and drag that previous iterations had when it's more complicated.

It's good that you found a solution to your load order problem, but the solution was already there to begin with. The LOOT group "Dynamic Patches" is designed specifically for the issues you were having.

As for manual sorting of plugins, it can be done in Vortex, as others have pointed out earlier. As for this issue of manual plugin sorting versus Vortex LOOT based sorting, it has been discussed ad nauseam in these Vortex forums. Use forum search to find those discussions.

Guest deleted34304850

but you CAN sort manually - and you should really seldom have a use for lock to index. in what circumstance are you being forced to use that feature? i mean just because its there doesn't mean you need to use it.

also - sorting - can you give an example of vortex sorting mods incorrectly and causing issues? evidence over opinion please.

One of many instances I've come across so far is: I have a collection which uses True Grass and Pine Forest Redone. These add grass that comes through the floor in settlements. So I got a few mods that remove grass under settlement buildings. Autosort places these mods in the wrong place and they need to be after True Grass and Pine Forest Redone, so I have to manually lock to index each plugin. I tried adding them to "Late Loading Patches" but that did literally nothing.

this is not a good reason to use lock to index. you are using the wrong tool for the job and that seems to be a common theme here.

You can create rules to load mod after/before or move the plugin to a group that loads after default. lock to index is not your friend here.

there are a myriad of youtube videos that educate and inform about vortex, i suggest you watch them before you start firing off groundless complaints which are almost all user-errors.

Idk why people keep saying "you can manually sort to your heart's content" when you actually can't. As I said above, the only "manual sorting" you can do is with plugins, with groups. The conflict menu is only useful if Vortex thinks there's a conflict, otherwise it's useless.
Sometimes a mod adds no plugins to the plugins tab, and can't be sorted at all.

I watched the tutorial for sorting. These are the only options. If these don't work, you can't manually sort it, and therefor have to abandon using the mod.