Modding in the Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update

Pickysaurus

I will try to make this short, and to be as constructive in my criticism as possible: This next-gen update business is giving me Skyrim Special/Anniversary Edition vibes. Sure, you make the game look prettier, but you also break most mods in the process. Also, the community-added mods sounds an awful lot like Bethesda's Creation Club, and that's shady territory right there. The one good thing I can see about this whole situation is it won't (or shouldn't) cost players a dime. I apologize for the slight tangent. I love the world of The Witcher, and I'm just worried that the mods I use (the ones that change Geralt and Yennefer's appearances to that of their Netflix counterparts) won't work after the update. That is all, and have a nice day. EDIT: Upon further inspection, most of the mods I use will be broken by this update... However, I just noticed the rollback feature on GOG. My worries are now null and void for the moment. Please ignore my incessant ramblings and have a pleasant day. Edited by BeatlesFan02

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #118740058. #118748943 is also a reply to the same post.

valshares24 wrote: I hope the publisher paid the authors of the mods. Being only in credits is not very cool.
ProtectorNova wrote: Do you know how to read, because it clearly say THEY REIMBURSED THEM, it means they PAYED THE MODDERS.

Why should they pay them? Every mod you make BELONGS to the developers of the game. Did you read the TOS? 
You literally slave for free, no one has to pay for the mods, its illigal. 

In response to post #118740058. #118748943, #118858763 are all replies on the same post.

valshares24 wrote: I hope the publisher paid the authors of the mods. Being only in credits is not very cool.
ProtectorNova wrote: Do you know how to read, because it clearly say THEY REIMBURSED THEM, it means they PAYED THE MODDERS.
herd wrote: Why should they pay them? Every mod you make BELONGS to the developers of the game. Did you read the TOS? 

That is just wrong.  They own everything that is their IP, but you still own any work you did and anything original you added.

You can't charge money for the mod because it is based on their property, but they can't just steal your work without compensation.

In response to post #118740058. #118748943, #118858763, #118859828 are all replies on the same post.

herd wrote: Why should they pay them? Every mod you make BELONGS to the developers of the game. Did you read the TOS? 
showler wrote: That is just wrong.  They own everything that is their IP, but you still own any work you did and anything original you added.

You can't charge money for the mod because it is based on their property, but they can't just steal your work without compensation.

It depends... if you create the mod using MODKit depending on the EULA anything you create there would technically belong to CDPR and they would not need your permission to use it as they see fit, this is true for Bethesda games.

BUUUUUTTTT they would never do such i thing, backlash would be too big, they lose less money just paying the authors.

In response to post #118740058. #118748943, #118858763, #118859828, #118911008 are all replies on the same post.

showler wrote: That is just wrong.  They own everything that is their IP, but you still own any work you did and anything original you added.

yRaven wrote: It depends... if you create the mod using MODKit depending on the EULA anything you create there would technically belong to CDPR and they would not need your permission to use it as they see fit, this is true for Bethesda games.

BUUUUUTTTT they would never do such i thing, backlash would be too big, they lose less money just paying the authors.

EULA can't override laws.  They write stuff like that in more as a "statement of intent" or a "scare tactic".

They can take your ideas and re-create them, doing the work themselves, but they can't just use your work for free.

How could they leave out one of the most popular mods that is Friendly Meditation? Especially since originally meditation was supposed to be in real time what we see at E3 2014. After all, this is one of the must have mods.... I hope this isn't the final list because I will be hugely disappointed that they only added so many mods. For me, Friendly Meditation is definitely one of the best mods

In response to post #118740058. #118748943, #118858763, #118859828, #118911008, #118911908 are all replies on the same post.

yRaven wrote: It depends... if you create the mod using MODKit depending on the EULA anything you create there would technically belong to CDPR and they would not need your permission to use it as they see fit, this is true for Bethesda games.

showler wrote: EULA can't override laws.  They write stuff like that in more as a "statement of intent" or a "scare tactic".

They can take your ideas and re-create them, doing the work themselves, but they can't just use your work for free.

If your mod uses any part of the base files in the game it's technically CDPR's right to say whether the mod can or cannot exist ...according to IP, Patent and Copyright laws in most nations. Just like CDPR had to get the express permission of the Witcher author to make the game using his Intellectual Property

Modding is a privilege afforded to us by the owners/developers of the game and not a right ......

In response to post #118740058. #118748943, #118858763, #118859828, #118911008, #118911908, #118923213 are all replies on the same post.

showler wrote: EULA can't override laws.  They write stuff like that in more as a "statement of intent" or a "scare tactic".

longjohn119 wrote: If your mod uses any part of the base files in the game it's technically CDPR's right to say whether the mod can or cannot exist ...according to IP, Patent and Copyright laws in most nations. Just like CDPR had to get the express permission of the Witcher author to make the game using his Intellectual Property

Modding is a privilege afforded to us by the owners/developers of the game and not a right ......

Well, yes.  But just because they can tell you that you can't use their IP (make you stop distributing a mod you made) it doesn't mean they can use your IP (use the mod you made in their game) without your permission.