New Forum Feedback

Pickysaurus

29 minutes ago, GLM01 said:

I can no longer send messages to anyone other than those I had already started chatting with before the update.
The option to send a message simply no longer appears on people's profiles.

The message option appears to still be there on the Forums-side profile, just not on the mods-side profile.  Which is a problem, as there are no longer links between the profiles on the profiles.  If you can figure out how to get to a user's forums profile, you should be able to send a message from there.  I believe you can use the numeric user number in the browser URL for their profile on the mods side to get to the same user's profile on the forums side (compare URL to someone else's forums-side profile), and then be able to message them.  But that is REDICULOUS.  Also, it may not work for anyone who created their account(s) after the update.

Can I say something? I miss having friends.

Honestly, I get it, ok, the new forums doesn't have a friend mechanic now.

However I thought the friend mechanic was extremely useful, and I am pretty disappointed that it's just literally gone now. Many places have the ability to friend someone; tiktok, reddit, twitter, even facebook, even myspace had that.

Yes, I get it. This is Nexus mods, not a social media platform, and not any of those platforms, however I think that this is a serious downgrade for the site. Hopefully one day it can return some kind of way, otherwise others might struggle to feel like this is a true community, when they can't even friend somebody to keep them in close contact.

Edited by lefttounge

7 hours ago, GLM01 said:

I can no longer send messages to anyone other than those I had already started chatting with before the update.
The option to send a message simply no longer appears on people's profiles.

Okay, after some investigation...

The mod-side profile URL is:

https://nexusmods.com/users/ID_GOES_HERE/

The forums side profile URL (from which you can send messages) is:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/profile/ID-username/

Using the users ID number, it isn't that hard to get from the forums side profile to the mods side profile, but it is harder to get from the mods-side profile back to the forums-side profile in order to message someone, as you need their exact user name as well.  Get the ID number from the mods-side profile URL, then put it in this link, and it should redirect you to the correct forums-side profile URL:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?showuser=ID_GOES_HERE

I hope that helps.   (Again, may not work for anyone signing up, or using the forums for the first time ever, since the separation.)  Thanks to Wayback Machine for help finding that URL to go back the other direction.

Edited by Eolhin

Guest deleted34304850
4 hours ago, lefttounge said:

Can I say something? I miss having friends.

Honestly, I get it, ok, the new forums doesn't have a friend mechanic now.

However I thought the friend mechanic was extremely useful, and I am pretty disappointed that it's just literally gone now. Many places have the ability to friend someone; tiktok, reddit, twitter, even facebook, even myspace had that.

Yes, I get it. This is Nexus mods, not a social media platform, and not any of those platforms, however I think that this is a serious downgrade for the site. Hopefully one day it can return some kind of way, otherwise others might struggle to feel like this is a true community, when they can't even friend somebody to keep them in close contact.

i have read that post this morning, several times, and there's an innate sadness about it. i'm sorry pal.

22 minutes ago, 1ae0bfb8 said:

i have read that post this morning, several times, and there's an innate sadness about it. i'm sorry pal.

Yeah, those other social media places fostered a sense of competition around the 'friends' mechanic that cheapened it to just a number.  But here, it was people that you genuinely wanted to stay in touch with, or remember and revisit.  The number of them was never important.

You know that trend to post 'F' to pay respects?  I guess we need to post F for Friends here.

F

6 hours ago, lefttounge said:

Agree completely. Loosing friends is just sad.

But I think that a forum is in fact a form of social media. We talk to people here, so how is it not social? Which is probably why we find it so painful that some of the "useless" social features disappeared, such as a true post count and friends. Kudos is another such feature, and thankfully it could be saved.

Also, understanding technical limitations does not make the sadness go away and does not make the loss feel less of a loss. It is not suddenly ok. It is a serious degradation of functionality and understanding the reasons for it does not make it into less of a degradation.

The same as we as users have to accept this degradation of our experience, so do the administators of Nexus Mods have to accept that this decision leads to people liking their site less. They have to recognise that they did remove much-loved features. Of course it was through necessity and not out of any evil intent, but it still happened. And it is this recognition that I am not seeing, an acknowledgement that yeah guys, we're so sorry, we hurt your feelings... That's just lacking. We, users, are being brushed off. "It wasn't personal, it's business." Well, it's personal to us.

Edited by LenaWolfBravil

3 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

Agree completely. Loosing friends is just sad.

But I think that a forum is in fact a form of social media. We talk to people here, so how is it not social? Which is probably why we find it so painful that some of the "useless" social features disappeared, such as a true post count and friends. Kudos is another such feature, and thankfully it could be saved.

Also, understanding technical limitations does not make the sadness go away and does not make the loss feel less of a loss. It is not suddenly ok. It is a serious degradation of functionality and understanding the reasons for it does not make it into less of a degradation.

The same as we as users have to accept this degradation of our experience, so do the administators of Nexus Mods have to accept that this decision leads to people liking their site less. They have to recognise that they did remove much-loved features. Of course it was through necessity and not out of any evil intent, but it still happened. And it is this recognition that I am not seeing, an acknowledgement that yeah guys, we're so sorry, we hurt your feelings... That's just lacking. We, users, are being brushed off. "It wasn't personal, it's business." Well, it's personal to us.

I agree.  Nexus has lost a bit of its "humanity" with these changes and more with importantly their response to it (Robin mostly).

VERY inconvenient Overview tab or activities.

Because it show newest post instead of newest updated thread. The current way will show most of content of a very quickly updated thread instead of several threads. Waaaaaaay less value.

I would suggest you guys tweaking a tiny bit into the code that show post by updated thread, instead the current show by newest post.

Edited by laclongquan

1 hour ago, Zanderat said:

I agree.  Nexus has lost a bit of its "humanity" with these changes and more with importantly their response to it (Robin mostly).

Robin doesn't respond to these things very often and when he does he tends to be very "this is how the business works and there is nothing that can be done about it."

However, part of that is because Robin only ends up responding himself after the Community Managers and staff have repeated themselves dozens of times and people keep asking anyway.