Vortex v1.10 is being released in Beta on Monday

insomnious
Go to solution Solved by Nagev,

Fair.  I don't use VR. 

But I have used mods that need to be placed in both the root folder and the Data folder.  The "unpack as is", then selecting mod type "engine injector" ("enb" seems to do the same thing, not sure what the difference is) has always worked and conflicts were detected.

Is it possible to roll back?  In addition to the issues that I already reported, every time i go to deploy it hangs for literally 3-4 minutes with message "waiting for other operations to complete".    No idea what it is doing, it is unworkable like this.

edit: I put myself on "stable branch" for now.  Hopefully that will work.

I have learned my lesson again to wait for a week or two after updates.

Somehow, it is "Waiting for other operations to complete" for 5-10 minutes anytime I deploy, which it requests every time I start Vortex.  (Not just the first time).  If I rollback I'd have to redo all my rules, I guess?  Well I have 1590 mods on a Skyrim install.  Not gonna be doing that.  Guess I'll play something else until the update.

• Like 1

With all due respect, I hardly consider this issue "solved." In all the years I have been updating Vortex, never once did the app freeze up for 20+ minutes after restarting. Had I known this was expected behavior, I obviously would have never force quit. This lack of communication regarding a quite invasive update is the root of all the chaos that has followed. How can a Vortex user ever again trust that an update notification won't lead to a ransacked load order and ruined game saves?

And the problems continue, I might add. Upon exiting the 1.9 version I rolled back to, I got a notification stating (not asking) that the newer version would be installed. I allowed Windows to proceed in order to see if I might have better luck on the second go round. Oddly enough, upon restart the app was functional in only a few minutes after clicking the prompt to deploy. However, since that initial session, the app now hangs indefinitely at startup once again. Even after giving it well over an hour on two separate occasions, it never enters an operational state.

So, now I must re-rollback to the previous version just to see my modlist and assess the damage, making sure to have Windows cancel the auto-update that occurs every time I exit the app. Or I suppose I can wait for the next update and hope it renders the app functional again. Either way, I surely won't be playing my modded Skyrim anytime soon. 😞

Edited by cooperbh
  • Like 1

i also cannot update or skyrim and skyrim VR start up with :deployment needed" no matter how many times i deploy. Then lots of "access errors" saying vortex doesnt have access as well as throwing "cant parse plugins" and saying many of my mods are not compatible.   an uninstall and reinstall of vortex has fixed my issue. i just keep denying it the update.  ill be watching for when this is no longer an  issue.  love vortex. cant wait to keep it up to date like normal

Having much the same issue as cloud1a7 above. I just launched after the auto-update on the beta branch (only on beta for the SkyrimVR ESL support), and it's been sitting frozen for ~10 minutes now. Task Manager has it floating around 3.5GB usage, and I am getting a Vortex message that " Vortex is using a lot of memory and may crash", when it stops seizing up. I was also getting the parsing and access errors.  I'm not about to redo my modlist, so a reinstall is out of the question for the time being. I may downgrade back to 1.09 to see how that helps. For now, after reading the solution, a set it and forget it approach may be my best option.

No hate on Vortex, I've been using it for a long time, and I don't really want to mess with MO2 anytime soon. I like and hope this all works out 🙂

EDIT: Of course being patient usually works out in the end. Vortex is snappy again and issues seem to be resolved. Thank you all for the hard work!

13 hours ago, showler said:

Am I misreading or was this only on the beta channel?

Because a couple of people here seem to be acting like this was a stable release.

Yes, this is beta only. Seems a lot of users have opted into the beta without realising it. 

13 hours ago, cooperbh said:

With all due respect, I hardly consider this issue "solved." In all the years I have been updating Vortex, never once did the app freeze up for 20+ minutes after restarting. Had I known this was expected behavior, I obviously would have never force quit. This lack of communication regarding a quite invasive update is the root of all the chaos that has followed. How can a Vortex user ever again trust that an update notification won't lead to a ransacked load order and ruined game saves?

And the problems continue, I might add. Upon exiting the 1.9 version I rolled back to, I got a notification stating (not asking) that the newer version would be installed. I allowed Windows to proceed in order to see if I might have better luck on the second go round. Oddly enough, upon restart the app was functional in only a few minutes after clicking the prompt to deploy. However, since that initial session, the app now hangs indefinitely at startup once again. Even after giving it well over an hour on two separate occasions, it never enters an operational state.

So, now I must re-rollback to the previous version just to see my modlist and assess the damage, making sure to have Windows cancel the auto-update that occurs every time I exit the app. Or I suppose I can wait for the next update and hope it renders the app functional again. Either way, I surely won't be playing my modded Skyrim anytime soon. 😞

It's marked as solved to highlight the response from one of our Vortex devs. It's a known issue and we're looking at a fix, but it's important to let it finish the process. Interrupting it mid-way can corrupt your Vortex state which will more than likely cause problems going forward. 

14 hours ago, showler said:

Am I misreading or was this only on the beta channel?

Because a couple of people here seem to be acting like this was a stable release.

TBH I'm not sure if it was stable.  I got a popup in Vortex and clicked the link.  That made me assume it was, but I've been wrong before.