Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

Wow, thanks for all the info! I wasn't even planning to do a dialogue because I don't want to deal with custom voices, I was just going to have a message pop-up which basically told the player that they had to pick a side. But I might see what I can come up with because having it voiced would be so much cooler.

Another thing I'll have to do is to make the questgiver essential and remove the optional "protect him" quest until the option to side with him is selected.

I'll check out the tutorial and that quest. Should I use this thread for future questions on that, or make a new one?

Depends. If it's a pretty quick question about an issue you're having, then just ask it here (hence Quick Questions, Quick Answers), but if it's a larger issue like a full tutorial on how to do it, then you can post your own topic.

And you don't need to have your own custom dialogue. You could have a messagebox pop up at a certain stage or when something happens (see Events), and then when a certain option is chosen in the messagebox it sets the appropriate stage.

Ok, I'll just ask one more quick question here. Is it possible to make an NPC advance a few levels? Choosing to kill the nord would avoid fighting the more powerful necromancer and his minions(which include a Draugr Deathlord), which would make it too easy.

You could do unvoiced dialogue. I know it annoys some people but personally I play with the dialogue turned all the way down and the subtitles on. I regularly forget that there is voiced dialogue, until a Daedric lord speaks.

I'd probably just use a pop-up box in that case. I like dialogue and it would just seem weird to have subtitles only.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks for all the info! I wasn't even planning to do a dialogue because I don't want to deal with custom voices, I was just going to have a message pop-up which basically told the player that they had to pick a side. But I might see what I can come up with because having it voiced would be so much cooler.

Another thing I'll have to do is to make the questgiver essential and remove the optional "protect him" quest until the option to side with him is selected.

I'll check out the tutorial and that quest. Should I use this thread for future questions on that, or make a new one?

Depends. If it's a pretty quick question about an issue you're having, then just ask it here (hence Quick Questions, Quick Answers), but if it's a larger issue like a full tutorial on how to do it, then you can post your own topic.

And you don't need to have your own custom dialogue. You could have a messagebox pop up at a certain stage or when something happens (see Events), and then when a certain option is chosen in the messagebox it sets the appropriate stage.

Ok, I'll just ask one more quick question here. Is it possible to make an NPC advance a few levels? Choosing to kill the nord would avoid fighting the more powerful necromancer and his minions(which include a Draugr Deathlord), which would make it too easy.

You could do unvoiced dialogue. I know it annoys some people but personally I play with the dialogue turned all the way down and the subtitles on. I regularly forget that there is voiced dialogue, until a Daedric lord speaks.

I'd probably just use a pop-up box in that case. I like dialogue and it would just seem weird to have subtitles only.

Well there are two ways to do it:

You can go into the Nord's stats, by going under Actors>His EditorID, and then double clicking him and going to the Stats tab. There, you can change his level, or the level offset. The level offset basically says that his level will be the player's times the multiplier in the level offset box, as long as it is within the range of the two numbers below that. EDIT: Actually, there's only one. For some reason I thought there was an Increment/Add/Set/Mod level function, but there doesn't seem to be... I have been called blind before though, so that might be it :tongue:.

And if you feel like going the dialogue route, then head over here and ask for a VA and somebody will probably be glad to do it (not necessarily, but they're very nice).

How do I check a variable on a script on a quest? So I have two scripts on my quest, IQ01CostofRevenge - on is the default script fragment/hidden quest, and the other is a script I created myself called IQ01VarsFunctions. How do I access the value of the properties in IQ01VarsFunctions? I'm having an issue and I need to be able to tell if they simply aren't being set.

How do I check a variable on a script on a quest? So I have two scripts on my quest, IQ01CostofRevenge - on is the default script fragment/hidden quest, and the other is a script I created myself called IQ01VarsFunctions. How do I access the value of the properties in IQ01VarsFunctions? I'm having an issue and I need to be able to tell if they simply aren't being set.

Apparently there is a console command for this :smile:.

ShowQuestVars QUESTID

Ok that pretty much answers the second question. I want my home(a dungeon) to reset so I can have more mushrooms, but I don't want creatures to respawn.

With the first question I'm just trying to understand what happens to a cell if its encounter zone is set to "none". Is the encounter zone determined by some master setting?

Just stumbled upon the answer in a thread I was reading. Here it is:Reference

So the answer is that having a NONE encounter zone will cause it to reset/respawn.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. But then that makes we wonder how it handles levels. My guess would be that an encounter zone set to none adjusts its levels to the player level everytime it resets.

And by merging cells, I meant merging the navmesh boundaries of exterior cells. Even though it makes the green line, which would indicate that NPCs will travel between cells, I'm thinking that I might need to finalize each cell individually to make the game recognize it.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the navmesh, but hopefully someone else better at navmeshing can.

Yes, you will have to finalize each exterior cell you edited for them to work properly, but it's actually pretty easy. Just make sure your camera view is in the center of each cell you want to finalize before you press the finalize button.

Edited by ToppDog

Okay, I'll play:

1. What's the best approach to make it so when a player enters a cell, the NPC's are already doing whatever they are supposed to be doing, instead of spewing forth from some invisible marker like someone just busted open a cockroach nest?

2. Are there any animations/idles for reading or writing while seated in a chair?

3. How can I make NPC's jump off a diving platform, swim around a bit, then get out & repeat?

Okay, I'll play:

1. What's the best approach to make it so when a player enters a cell, the NPC's are already doing whatever they are supposed to be doing, instead of spewing forth from some invisible marker like someone just busted open a cockroach nest?

2. Are there any animations/idles for reading or writing while seated in a chair?

3. How can I make NPC's jump off a diving platform, swim around a bit, then get out & repeat?

1. Not sure. Maybe you could try having the NPCs around a corner or something so they get a chance to start their idles. The issue is that they don't load until the cell is attached and loaded properly, so you end up with the result of "spewing forth from some invisible marker".
  2. I believe StudyMarker should work for your purposes, though you can also try WritingLedgerIdle.
  3. This would probably involve a custom AI package. The jumping part might be harder, though you could try a travel which just makes them walk off, and then next an idle with allow swimming, and then a travel back to the diving board. I'm not the best with packages, but you could look here.