Fallout 4 Creation Kit Beta and an Important Notice to Survival Testers

SirSalami

I can't believe that they have disabled achievements if you have any mods installed... bad move Bethesda. Edited by Wartinald

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #37136210. #37136415, #37137680, #37137905, #37138945 are all replies on the same post.

LordCybot wrote: So Bethesda is evidently trying to kick Nexus off the market, if you use NMM you'll have to re enable mod from Fallout 4's new mod menu every time you start the game.
EVERY TIME.

For anyone with more than a dozen or so ESPs this will become a literal nightmare.
Zeedric wrote: A problem this big will either not stay in the game for long, or be resolved by the modding community
KotovChaos wrote: I've never had to do this. I can even arrange and activate/deactivate the plugins I got from Bethesda.net from NMM after I use the game to download them first.

If your game is giving you the warning that your plugins are missing:
1)Go into appdata where plugins.txt is
2)delete plugins.txt,
3)then go into NMM and uncheck then recheck any single esp or to be cautious use the uncheck/check all buttons. It should have remade the plugins.txt file in the folder.
4)open plugins.txt to make sure the right .esps have *s next to them.
5)Then I set it to read-only just to be safe and everything loaded.

You may have to do this every time you change mods but that's less of a pain then using the mod menu every time you launch. You might not have to do it every time either but I've had to do it a couple times.
Augusta Calidia wrote: This is not universally the case. I have 44 active ESPs. Once I re-enabled them after the v1.5 update, I have not had to re-enable them since. I am using NMM v0.61.17.

I know re-enabling is a real problem for many NMM users, and I have no explanation for why the problem affects some but not others. I wish I could help, but I just don't know enough about how these things work.
KotovChaos wrote: I know it's not universal. Almost nothing in modding is. I was simply stating that NMM isn't unusable. Whether they have to do this often or not, I just meant they can still use NMM and not touch the in game mod menu.

Would be really great, if this works. But believe it or not, I cannot find a appdata or plugins.txt
Where do I have zo look for it ? Thanks so much.

In response to post #37136210. #37136415, #37137680, #37137905, #37138945, #37138955 are all replies on the same post.

LordCybot wrote: So Bethesda is evidently trying to kick Nexus off the market, if you use NMM you'll have to re enable mod from Fallout 4's new mod menu every time you start the game.
EVERY TIME.

For anyone with more than a dozen or so ESPs this will become a literal nightmare.
Zeedric wrote: A problem this big will either not stay in the game for long, or be resolved by the modding community
KotovChaos wrote: I've never had to do this. I can even arrange and activate/deactivate the plugins I got from Bethesda.net from NMM after I use the game to download them first.

2)delete plugins.txt,
3)then go into NMM and uncheck then recheck any single esp or to be cautious use the uncheck/check all buttons. It should have remade the plugins.txt file in the folder.

You may have to do this every time you change mods but that's less of a pain then using the mod menu every time you launch. You might not have to do it every time either but I've had to do it a couple times.
Augusta Calidia wrote: This is not universally the case. I have 44 active ESPs. Once I re-enabled them after the v1.5 update, I have not had to re-enable them since. I am using NMM v0.61.17.

I know re-enabling is a real problem for many NMM users, and I have no explanation for why the problem affects some but not others. I wish I could help, but I just don't know enough about how these things work.
KotovChaos wrote: I know it's not universal. Almost nothing in modding is. I was simply stating that NMM isn't unusable. Whether they have to do this often or not, I just meant they can still use NMM and not touch the in game mod menu.
ThomasHild wrote: Would be really great, if this works. But believe it or not, I cannot find a appdata or plugins.txt

@KotovChaos I was not responding to you but to the original post by LordCybot.

I appreciate all the good information that you've been providing for folks who are having problems. It's nice to see someone who genuinely wants to help.

In response to post #37115805. #37116715, #37116920 are all replies on the same post.

dainsgames wrote:

In response to post #37107925. #37108105, #37109210, #37111320, #37114575, #37114935, #37115000, #37115060, #37115065 are all replies on the same post.

jediakyrol wrote: so, After grabbing the CK, I've noticed that my saves are now prefixed with "[M]" is that a marker for "has mods installed"?
darthtrevhat wrote: That would make sense, maybe it relates to the fact that mods will disable Achievements :sad: Source:https://community.bethesda.net/thread/9278
jediakyrol wrote: ...wow...I just read that...that is pants-on-head retarded....especially considering all of the mods that only exist to fix stuff that Beth screwed up and refused to fix themselves.

... ... ...but...knowing Bethesda...it's probably really easy to disable the thing that checks for your save being modded...watch that become the #1 mod!

ErosLogos wrote: Jedia, don't kid yourself about the nature of most mods. Most mods just add jiggly boobies, neat weapons, and cool armor and clothes. Only a tiny fraction do any kind of bug fixing, and most of those are good-enough hacks.

But, yes, I am irritated by that. Chances are, there may be a mod that does that. Then Bethesda will counter it, then another version that counters the counter, etc. Energy on Bethesda's and modder's part will be wasted on something so stupid.

I promise you that Bethesda will probably undo that. And there is the slight possibility that Bethesda will make it very, very hard to disable it.

ZeketheGeek wrote: In all honesty I don't expect there to be as many Unofficial Patches for FO4 as there are for Skyrim. I've been playing it on Xbox for months now and have not come across hardly anything. Time will tell.
ErosLogos wrote: @zekethegeek

Here's something to think about; while I love modding, most of the glitches started when I started modding. Before that, the game was pretty stable.

NismoMan wrote: That was fast, Here you go :wink:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465/?

Courtesy of @Expired6978

ErosLogos wrote: Honestly, at this point, I don't care about achievements.
dainsgames wrote: God where do I start with the bugs? Oh, how about the cell reset bug that reverts your power armor to beat-up original condition and removes the weapons you put in the workbench or containers since the last time the cell reset? That's a good one. I wiped my install after it did that to me the last time - it screwed me so hard I didn't want to continue that game. Now I am waiting for unofficial patches to fix that for good.

...The cell reset bug only happens if you use a mod like Spring Cleaning. Before that? I never had a cell reset bug.

Like, never. My power armor's stats remained untouched. Also, it only started happening with me when I used Rebuilt Prewar Homes. Basically, any mod that alters the vanilla cells in anyway? You'll have a cell reset bug. Also, I never had my items in the workbench get reset to oblivion even with the mods. So, I get the feeling you're full of s*** dainsgames.

Want me to go on with the bugs? Talk to Preston after saving him in Concord, but DON'T talk to Ma Murphy - just walk away. Go get a companion - Codsworth or anyone will do - and voila! You can't access the Talk menu to go through dialogues or dismiss them. How's that for a game-breaker? You have to go back and put up with Ma Murphy's crazytalk bullsh8 which no sane person would even do, and THEN the dialogues for companions will work again.

Like that? Or does that hit you where your fanboi lives? Tell you what, let's wait until the unofficial patches start coming out and count the number of bugs they fix. If FO4 follows the historical trend, there will be THOUSANDS of bugs that should have been fixed before this game was released.

Arthmoor wrote: While I don't know about this Mama Murphy thing, I do know ErosLogos is not wrong to conclude mods of some sort must be contributing to the cell reset bug. No such bug exists in the vanilla game without mods. Even official DLCs don't cause it.

Further, it's not the kind of bug the unofficial patches can fix even if we want to. That kind of thing is an engine issue that Bethesda needs to deal with themselves. So if you haven't reported it to them yet, do your part, report it to them.

jediakyrol wrote: Yah, pretty sure cell-reset is connected to combined-objects in some way...anything that breaks them into individual pieces guarantees the bug.

But for vanilla bugs:

don't forget the things like getting stuck walking to a terminal/power armor, quest objectives falling through the ground (especially in automatron...robobrains must be part molerat.) companions/NPC's walking into "secret rooms" (like the door you can reach through the ceiling of the bathroom in Vault 81) and never coming out...

Diseases magically transferring to you if a companion gets hit with it (even if they are robots...again easily seen in Vault 81)

NPC's who trigger their fail-state dialogue even though you completed the quest succesfully (... ... ...again V81, a couple of the randos call you a "monster" and say "how could you let a child die!")

Whatever the hell is wrong with settlements (TV/Jukeboxes make beds not work? Having two caravans go to one town makes food/water disappear? An NPC wearing Power Armor and wielding a laser minigun gets kidnapped by Raiders? Super-determined attackers can phase through walls completely ignoring all of the new traps added in the last DLC? That one settlement that spawns all of the settlers in the ocean every time you fast travel there?)

Oh...and the worst of all... ... ...Automatron taking away Codsworth's ability to wear hats!

First of all, that's not a game breaker; talking to Mama Murphy at least once is an essential part of the game story. Tough break kid, but it is. Besides, I like Mama Murphy. Then again, I like the Longs too. There's nothing game breaking here. And my lack of response isn't because you won some kind of battle. I've been stuck walking to a terminal or power armor once or twice, but not frequently; literally once or twice. I've never had that Jukebox issue. As for getting kidnapped by raiders even though heavily armed? Come on, you're asking for the radiant quest system to be more realistic than it can be. I've never had that issue with Vault 81 residents, then again I'm not a cold hearted bastard and treated the child right away.

As for Croup Manor? Yeah, I've had that happen; but I never felt irritated enough by it. Then again, I haven't had that happen to me recently.

The only real bug you mentioned that needs to be addressed is the one about ignoring the new traps. I've never had them phase through walls. Sorry dains, you're still full of s***.

By the way, considering the top part can be modded, I'm sorry; but no more hats for Codsworth.

You know what a "sandbox" is? That's when you're NOT chained to the rails of a plotline. Even if this wasn't a sandbox, *not completing a conversation should not break a critical - and completely different - part of the game*.

That's indisputably a massive, gamebreaking bug regardless of what excuses you want to make for Bethesda.

About those other things- I have no idea who you're responding to, but it's not me. I never mentioned Croup Manor or any of those other things you're talking about.

But just fyi, here's yet another bug. When you get a settlement, you naturally construct defenses, because the settlement build menu marks that in red. So you fix it by putting up a couple of turrets and guardposts to defend the two-three settlers there.

So when you visit the settlement later and a settler walks up to you and says "oh help us, those mean Raiders are being meany-mean heads", you are getting a surprise Defend the Settlement mission. The instant you accept the mission to build defenses, the encounter triggers instantly, because there are defenses in place. "You have completed building defenses, here come the enemies!".

Hey, remember WHEN you first built those defenses? You were level 9. Now you're level 35, and this is a leveled game. So you can say hello to three Raiders in power armor plus friends, attacking a settlement with 1 Mark 1 turret pointed their way, some junk shack walls for cover, and two-three settlers in leather armor with pipe rifles.

And because this was a surprise "settler walks up to you" deal, you don't have YOUR PA with you or any heavy weapons. Needless to say, that settlement did not survive, nor did I (although I did down all three PA raiders, so yay me.)

Remember when I said that was a bug? *I lied.* That is clearly broken mission design which is clearly broken in an obviously broken way. That is a failure of Bethesda to bolt together the pieces of mission + encounter correctly, or to identify their error through testing before they shipped the product out the door. Try that crap with anything BUT software, *and you have the right to go to the store and get your money back*.

The fix is EASY too - no Defend encounter should trigger until you indicate you've finished building defenses and armed the settlers *in accordance with your current level in the game*. Which you can totally do - you've got the gear, the parts, the supply line, everything you need, and all you'd have to do is go back to the settler and say "All set, you can rest easy now" to trigger the encounter.

Except Bethesda is demonstrably too incompetent to make that simple deal work. How much you want to bet this gets called a "bug" anyways and addressed in either an official or unofficial patch? (And yes, I have a bug reporting account on Bethsoft's forums.)

So, I don't think your waving of the Bethesda flag is going to convince me I'm wrong, when there's this level of breakage present in the game. And obviously you're too invested in your opinion to be objective. So I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore.

But if you throw another personal insult at me, I'm reporting you for moderation. kkthxbai.

In response to post #37136210. #37136415, #37137680, #37137905, #37138945, #37138955, #37139260 are all replies on the same post.

EVERY TIME.

2)delete plugins.txt,

ThomasHild wrote: Would be really great, if this works. But believe it or not, I cannot find a appdata or plugins.txt
Augusta Calidia wrote: @KotovChaos I was not responding to you but to the original post by LordCybot.

I appreciate all the good information that you've been providing for folks who are having problems. It's nice to see someone who genuinely wants to help.

I also cant find this plugins.txt. Lol

Verifying the game cache through Steam finally allowed me to start the game and load a save without any mods installed. After some testing, I quit and enabled a few mods that shouldn't crash the game, but it crashed again. Disabled all mods again, started the game, now crashes despite working without any mods earlier, I'm out of ideas. It seems like enabling any mods will just break the game until you verify the game cache again.

EDIT: Post above. Type %appdata% into Windows search, it should put you in the roaming folder, go back to the appdata folder and select the "local" folder, look for "Fallout4", the plugin.txt should be in that. (deleting it had no affect for me unfortunately)

Edited by TJGM

In response to post #37140425.

TJGM wrote: Verifying the game cache through Steam finally allowed me to start the game and load a save without any mods installed. After some testing, I quit and enabled a few mods that shouldn't crash the game, but it crashed again. Disabled all mods again, started the game, now crashes despite working without any mods earlier, I'm out of ideas. It seems like enabling any mods will just break the game until you verify the game cache again.

EDIT: Post above. Type %appdata% into Windows search, it should put you in the roaming folder, go back to the appdata folder and select the "local" folder, look for "Fallout4", the plugin.txt should be in that. (deleting it had no affect for me unfortunately)

I dont even have a Fallout4 folder under local.Only FalloutNV.

In response to post #37140425.

TJGM wrote: Verifying the game cache through Steam finally allowed me to start the game and load a save without any mods installed. After some testing, I quit and enabled a few mods that shouldn't crash the game, but it crashed again. Disabled all mods again, started the game, now crashes despite working without any mods earlier, I'm out of ideas. It seems like enabling any mods will just break the game until you verify the game cache again.

I dont even have a Fallout4 folder under local.Only FalloutNV.

Well that's odd. Maybe the folder is hidden, if you're on Windows 8.1/10, click the view tab in file explorer and make sure you can see hidden folders.

http://i.imgur.com/90hm3IE.png