Physical Disks Going Away

OICU812B4

On consumer protection they changed the law in this country last year, digital products are now treated like everything else, if it doesn't work you can get your money back, that also includes games on disks that have been opened or downloads.

I wish that would happen here in the US, but with the Congress we have now, it's more likely that we'll lose even more of our consumer protections.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On consumer protection they changed the law in this country last year, digital products are now treated like everything else, if it doesn't work you can get your money back, that also includes games on disks that have been opened or downloads.

I wish that would happen here in the US, but with the Congress we have now, it's more likely that we'll lose even more of our consumer protections.

We still have the problem of not fully owning downloaded content, we can't sell it or leave it to someone in our will, these are things that really need addressing.

We still have the problem of not fully owning downloaded content, we can't sell it or leave it to someone in our will, these are things that really need addressing.

Interestingly, I think of these things now. Hell, I have grand-kids now.

In the end...we need none of this. All we need is food, shelter and nurture.

May the grass always rise to meet your feet and the wind always be at your back.

They're growing pains for a new technology imo. Here in my country this futile attempt at digital fascism is (soon to be, was) called the DMCA, which was immediately ignored by the American people and collapsed under the weight of its own untenability and unconstitutionality. And next thing we know, Google is processing a million and a half automatically generated DMCA takedown requests, with no human oversight whatsoever, and either much or most of this removed content was perfectly legal under our fair use and other laws.

What a mess, but it's a temporary one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reality check, Moto. :) It isn't much, but I'll throw in my two coppers.

I buy games from Steam and, when possible, from GOG because I'd rather not have to run a client. (Even Undertale is available on GOG now!) Except in the event of a fire at HQ, that means I don't need to worry about losing a game.

So *looking at you, Electronic Arts* why isn't Return of the King available to download? Seriously- it's a 3-disc game- guaranteed lost or your money back (not).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i'm sad that physical media is going away

since i have to wait a whole month for the bank to register the 10 euros i put in an account when i have 40 euros worth of other currency that isn't implemented into steam yet

The reality is that physical media didn't "go" anywhere, the storage burden for this software has simply been shifted from media provided by software publishers to media already owned by buyers. I have no problem with virtual-only storage except for software (or OS's) that are also copy protected, or require internet connections etc. It's one reason Win 7.1 will be my last MS OS, because MS haven't sold retail/physical copies of Windows since.

Uses for DVD drive

!. Driver disk instalations

2. Windows disk instalation, must have dvd drive for that.

So i hope dvd drives are not going away just yet.

1. Aren't the driver discs always out of date anyway? I've only seen people recommend to go to the manufacturers website to grab fresh drivers.

2. You can also install Windows via a USB drive - so you technically don't need the disc for that either.