Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43218285.

PushTheWinButton wrote: After years of using solely MO (after originally using NMM from its release) I tried NMM again when Fallout 4 came out, and I'd like to add that the more recent versions were honestly harder to fathom, and messier, than MO. My MO initiation probably took a matter of hours because it was just intuitive. I really think this whole 'NMM is better for beginners' isn't really true anymore, and all NMM has going for it is the wider range of games it supports. NMM just became the de-facto choice for new users due to it being advertised widely in the same place where they got the mods from. The stigma surrounding MO seems mostly unwarranted and is probably a result of people parroting the 'it's for advanced users' rhetoric. I can't say these things without sounding like a stick in the mud, but I honestly think 'scrapping' NMM as it stands and working more from the MO side of things for the new version would be best. I mean it even includes a tutorial to tell people how to use it if they didn't find it obvious.

(Also, MO's simplistic UI is much easier on the eyes. Never really liked all NMM's curves and icons. Eww. Kinda gets garish after a while.)

I think the same, MO is actually simpler to use than NMM regarding mods compatibility and the elasticity it has to change load orders without messing with the base game is invaluable.

One thing NTH (Nice to Have) would be in my opinion a better LOOT integration or simply getting rid of the need to complement MO with Wrye Bash, LOOT and the various patchers that exist today like DSR, FNIS, etc.

But that is just too forward thinking I guess.

Congratulations to Robin and Tannin, this makes me want to renew my paid suscription before the next modding process.

Thanks.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the issue i'm about to refer to probably does not apply to a whole lot of users, but will this new software fix the issue with 7zip sharp that some of us have been having when trying to install mods? i've had to manually install quite a few files now (not that i can't do it i'm just lazy) and i really hope to stop having to do that. other than that thank you guys for all the hard work!

In response to post #43213925. #43215075, #43215235, #43217915 are all replies on the same post.

axonis wrote: I personally don't use mod organizers so I wouldn't be interested in this news article, but there is a feature I'd like to request that could immensely help mod authors, especially for Skyrim.

Would it be possible to implement a "test this mod alone" function that allows players to test a single mod (loaded with its required files only) for bugs and pack their saved game along with any required config files for bug reports ?

Sometimes users don't understand that mod authors are not modding their load orders but rather Skyrim. Yes, some mods such as the USKP or SkyUI can be taken for granted -- "should" in the case of the USKP, but otherwise it's a shame for an author to be wasting their time finding out issues that are not their own responsibility.

Mod organizers have, indirectly and without any intent, contributed to this issue by offering a simple interface that makes installing any mod a breeze, and I believe it's due to this ease of use that we see those huge mod lists in the last years. Perhaps it's time users become aware of the implications of this, and mod organizers would be the perfect way to tell them.
HadToRegister wrote: That's EXACTLY what a Mod Manager does, both NMM and MO have this capability to test a mod alone, or with others etc.
azraal wrote: Well you could use profiles in NMM and MO. And for Mo, selecting only one mod will mean only the files of this mod will be installed.

As for the users I think they understand but don't want to bother anyway, they'll turn on to the mod author for advice.
I've gone through the thing contless time: Breaking my game, going through my load order one by one, to find one mod author had modified a script that is seemingly unrelated to the mod that break another mod's dependency that prompt a totally unrelated behavior. Sure this is not the mod author fault, most of the time they know already but they still expect them to give answer.

It's long and boring to do, that's the price to pay with an big load order, I would ignore the game for a few day before sorting my mess... But not everyone wants to bother.
My point is, educating won't help, and people will still bother modders.

On the other hand, as a support technician for a software company, I have seen my share of issues, that the client, even with the best intentions, has no way of knowing that the issue does not come from the product, and it require a real analysis to determine the real cause.
It's a shame, but when you set a product, even for free, you cannot simply ignore your user base because even if it's a conflict there is still a chance you are the one causing the issue.

It's sad but you cannot expect the user to use only your mod...
I'm playing the devil advocate here, because I agree it's a shame.

But a tool can only assist, now you can do what we do, paste some instructions on how to gather data on the issue (a simple step by step no complex explication that would go over the head of someone who isn't willing to learn the inner working)
Most of the time the user themselves will find the source of the problem and if he comes back with simply the mod that was causing the conflict, a quick analysis will prompt a simple response:
It's my fault.
It's no one fault (conflict).
it's their fault.
And it's worth correcting or not.

Keep in mind an incompatibility may lead you to a piece of code, that makes you wonder what you had in mind when you wrote it.

So not all black or white here...

Anyway MO is great because it only installs the mod you selected in a clean directory (except for steam and bethesda mods are they are forcefully set in your directory)
axonis wrote: While I would never expect anyone to use my mod only, it would help a lot if the manager software would make it more obvious that bug reports for a mod should only be based on that mod alone plus a few "defactos".

I respect your experience on the field but I should point at the obvious, mod authoring should not be a job. Or at least it isn't, yet.

This is so TRUE, I wish MO had this, but all I can do is disable other mods and enable the 1.

I've put 80 to 100 hours a week into running a channel based on RP's and Tutorial creation that revolves around Mod Organizer for nearly 3 years. If I'm not upset about this. No one should be lol. I'll have to research, revamp and remake 1000's of hours worth of tutorials.. and I'm happy to do it.

This seems like the best potential situation for mod managers in general. You have people from different managers, who have been working on them and receiving all the good as well as all the crazy feedback since they started working on them, who are capable and committed.

Nothing is set in stone in life or in modding = ) ... but this sounds great.

Edited by GamerPoets

In response to post #43219230.

GamerPoets wrote: I've put 80 to 100 hours a week into running a channel based on RP's and Tutorial creation that revolves around Mod Organizer for nearly 3 years. If I'm not upset about this. No one should be lol. I'll have to research, revamp and remake 1000's of hours worth of tutorials.. and I'm happy to do it.

This seems like the best potential situation for mod managers in general. You have people from different managers, who have been working on them and receiving all the good as well as all the crazy feedback since they started working on them, who are capable and committed.

TAKE YOUR FRIENDLY LOGIC, RATIONALE AND REASON SOMEWHERE ELSE. I WANTED PITCHFORKS AND HATE MOB

/s Edited by Elianora

In response to post #43219230. #43219400 is also a reply to the same post.

GamerPoets wrote: I've put 80 to 100 hours a week into running a channel based on RP's and Tutorial creation that revolves around Mod Organizer for nearly 3 years. If I'm not upset about this. No one should be lol. I'll have to research, revamp and remake 1000's of hours worth of tutorials.. and I'm happy to do it.

Elianora wrote: TAKE YOUR FRIENDLY LOGIC, RATIONALE AND REASON SOMEWHERE ELSE. I WANTED PITCHFORKS AND HATE MOB

/s

LOL I love you = )

This sounds interesting.

However, I'm guessing as it currently stands that MO will still function for the current release of Skyrim, and the new NMM that Tannin will be working on would be for Special Edition?

Also, will the presently being worked on version of NMM come with an advanced options button for those of us who've been using MO and know what we're doing with said advanced options?

I'm genuinely curious, so if these questions could be answered it'd be greatly appreciated.

Woohoo can't wait... :) always been an NMM fanboy and was always scared to try MO, so this is going to be a cool learning experience that I can't avoid... plus I need to root out all my useless mods and find and delete the harmful ones and start over with clean folders... ( well at least NMM and Bethsoft have that in common, both using old outdated coding lol ) thanks for being there Dark0ne Edited by badkrma