Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43210430. #43215310 is also a reply to the same post.

jim_uk wrote: Please can we get a mode for us old stick in the muds who still do everything manually and only want something to enable mods and change the load order? I'm still using 0.52.3.
kingtobbe wrote: This works perfectly for that. It doesn't disable mods beyond unchecking the esp though. Of course if it did, it wouldn't be simple anymore :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13671/?

You're never too old to save time. If a veritable moron like myself can figure out mod managers then anybody can.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great. A new manager, written from the ground up is the way to go. Keeping patching old and terrible code is the death of you, refactoring and pure rewrite is very much a thing you need to do to keep up with the times.

Best of luck to the Dev team! Woooo, go go go! :D

And thanks for everything Dark0ne, this place continues to be awesome :)

In response to post #43215035.

Rosamund wrote: Well, good luck to all of you with this endeavor I certainly hope for the best for the developers, the modders and the users. I can't help but admit that my heart dropped into my shoes upon hearing this however. I'd say I'm a medium modder- I can follow directions, I can make a few simple adjustments. I tried MO and had nothing but disasters and reinstalls. I wanted to like it and use it but I just couldn't. I came back to NMM because I had to even though it didn't do everything I wanted it to. So maybe this will be good- maybe it will be just want I was hoping for. Please, PLEASE remember your promise to keep it easily approachable- just like a math genius' definition of "simple math" is not the average guy's definition, your definition of easy to use might not be noob or average user's version. Best of luck!

Mod Organizer is a vastly superior modding tool in nearly every possible regard. It has a very tiny learning curve. It sounds like you gave up prematurely. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

In response to post #43213960. #43215115 is also a reply to the same post.

darthbdaman wrote: We'll see how this turns out I guess. This makes me very uncomfortable

NMM has never been a particularly stable or powerful mod manager, and has only gotten worse with new features added to ape MO. It is slow, crashes a lot, and just does a worse job than MO at basicallly everything. If MO supported more games, I wouldn't even have NMM installed. If I do have to use an older manager, I use FOMM or OBMM, as they are more functional at this point. I don't mean to harangue anyone, and it is far better than anything I could write, but it simply withers in comparison to the alternatives.

MO, on the other hand, is an amazing piece of software that I couldn't live without anymore, and it will be a shame to see it die. Hopefully this new NMM (NNMM?) will draw far more heavily from MO than old NMM. MO is simply a sleaker, faster, and far more stable piece of software that I actually enjoy using (unlike NMM).

I'll try to remain hopeful, but I have some serious doubts about this decision. It will depend heavily upon the inspiration taken for the final product.
silencer711 wrote: It depends wholesomely on what you make[NMM] it do. For some of us, we install mods in a specific order, from a personally curated list and don't mess with it from that point because our end goal has been achieved.

I have no experience with MO, I'd love to try it but currently I have a stable, organized 122 mod install with NMM 62.1

Credit is due however, to the albeit aging NMM, as it is an ORIGINAL piece of software that sort of came first from where others have built upon it or based their own managers upon its features and abilities.
Not speaking for Tannin42, but if I was going to create a mod manager from scratch I would look to others as a template, write my own code to do the same and just add features from everyone else's mod managers to make mine the ultimate one lol. You gotta start somewhere.

-Keep in mind: If the author of your favorite mod manager is now head of NMM development, you can expect the new NMM to present all the best things about NMM and all the best things from MO... no need to have serious doubts here. :)

We'll see. MO is an invaluable tool as an author and a user. Having it regress towards an NMM feature set isn't exactly ideal from my position. It could turn out fine, but I will reserve judgement

In response to post #43210430. #43215310, #43215490 are all replies on the same post.

jim_uk wrote: Please can we get a mode for us old stick in the muds who still do everything manually and only want something to enable mods and change the load order? I'm still using 0.52.3.
kingtobbe wrote: This works perfectly for that. It doesn't disable mods beyond unchecking the esp though. Of course if it did, it wouldn't be simple anymore :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13671/?
vram1974 wrote: You're never too old to save time. If a veritable moron like myself can figure out mod managers then anybody can.

It's nothing to do with figuring them out, it's that I don't need all the other stuff, I've been installing mods since 2002, I know what I'm doing and prefer to do things myself.

@kingtobbe I used something similar for FO4, it saved me from upgrading and risking breaking my older games. Edited by jim_uk

I, for one, am personally so happy to hear this news. M.O. is a great tool, and still what I use for my Skyrim modding needs. I use NMM for Fallout 4.

I can understand the casual modders worries about M.O. At first glance, it does look very intimidating, but with people like Gopher making very informative and detailed videos on how to use it, this 40 year old man is now very comfortable with it. I know you young guys will have no problems.

Can't wait to see what you guys release. If M.O. is what Tannin can do during his free time, it's going to be awesome to see what he can develop as a full time project.

Best of luck, guys. Excited

I have been using NMM (and its predecessors since I started playing Morrowind!), and have found them pretty reliable, certainly reliable enough for me, and far less hassle and aggravation to doing everything manually. Really fantastic tools. I will be happy to try a new mod organiser (I have never used the original Mod Organiser above because I have found NMM more than adequate for my simple needs).

And anyway, it is always interesting to try something new, especially if, as is likely it is likely to be more effective than what has gone before. Looking forward to the new manager.

In response to post #43213860. #43214125, #43214650 are all replies on the same post.

renthal311 wrote: one thing I do not like the NMM that creates a 'virtual installation folder mods', it looks like this: install for Skyrim 50 mods, weighing 12GB, NMM creates additional 12GB unnecessary ballast on my hard, cleanrooms think: if I mods already installed and placed files in Skyrim, what I 12GB redundant copies? ? It is a bad solution, the only thing I noticed, I love NMM :D , REN
Gruftlord wrote: It's not actually taking up twice the space, that is a display error in windows explorer. I hope they stay with this technique of 'virtualization', because it sounded way more robust than MO's (actual) virtualization.
Thallassa wrote: After actually testing a few months ago, NMM is not robust >_< That is, it lets you run things directly on the skyrim folder instead of launching through NMM, but that's the only advantage. Things made by executables still aren't managed (they are in MO), NMM still needs to "remember" things (MO and Bash both just compare files in the folders, if a file exists in the mod folder, it's managed, not so for NMM even now), it's overall kind of a mess.

(Also NMM is really slow compared to MO, to be fair I was testing it with very large mods and smaller mods probably there would be no difference).

I hope they keep something more similar to MO's system, but keep it simple. No categories. No buggy as hell compatibility/install order checks. No buggy as hell "archive management." Give us an optional plugin to unpack BSAs right into the mod folder (the way MO does now), but make that option even more difficult to turn on. And for the love of god put every file back in the overwrite, instead of thinking you know where it goes! But keep each mod in its own, totally independent folder, and have *all* file operations be done *on that folder* instead of on the base game folder, so *everything* you do stays managed without having to think about it.

as a mistake? clearly shows 12GB folder, I NMM from the beginning, but once something like that was, and it works well, never mind, I always I remove the files from this folder, Skyrim serves me to learn modding, so very often I do reinstallation, and again and again installs NMM :D