Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43219670.

HerpyDerpyDoo11 wrote: This sounds interesting.

However, I'm guessing as it currently stands that MO will still function for the current release of Skyrim, and the new NMM that Tannin will be working on would be for Special Edition?

Also, will the presently being worked on version of NMM come with an advanced options button for those of us who've been using MO and know what we're doing with said advanced options?

I'm genuinely curious, so if these questions could be answered it'd be greatly appreciated.

Everything that I've read from Tannin leads me to believe:

-MO will still and always be available for Skyrim and the previous 32bit games it can be used for.
-MO2 can still be used for fallout 4 but production has stopped, though, he will let people continue to develop it if they want to take it over.
-New NMM won't be ready until after Skyrim SE but should be able to be used with all games eventually that both NMM and MO could be used for (fingers crossed for 1 to work for both 32 bit and 64 bit). Edited by GamerPoets

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #43219670. #43219775 is also a reply to the same post.

HerpyDerpyDoo11 wrote: This sounds interesting.

However, I'm guessing as it currently stands that MO will still function for the current release of Skyrim, and the new NMM that Tannin will be working on would be for Special Edition?

Also, will the presently being worked on version of NMM come with an advanced options button for those of us who've been using MO and know what we're doing with said advanced options?

I'm genuinely curious, so if these questions could be answered it'd be greatly appreciated.
GamerPoets wrote: Everything that I've read from Tannin leads me to believe:

-MO will still and always be available for Skyrim and the previous 32bit games it can be used for.
-MO2 can still be used for fallout 4 but production has stopped, though, he will let people continue to develop it if they want to take it over.
-New NMM won't be ready until after Skyrim SE but should be able to be used with all games eventually that both NMM and MO could be used for (fingers crossed for 1 to work for both 32 bit and 64 bit).

Thanks, GamerPoets. I appreciate the timely reply.

It would be awesome if the NewNMM could embody an inherent load order optimization function such that users would not have to rely on an outside source. Perhaps this is one way basic users could benefit from advanced modders that more deeply understand categorization rules. I would Re-Prime for that! :) Thanks you guys for your dedication .. the fact that this is an issue is testament to our love for this genre and these (moddable) games! Slainte!

Well, it is obvious the first and probably most important decision they need to make is the hardest - what system for mod install to use.

And there is no correct answer it seems as whatever they do there will be a vocal opposition.

On one hand you have people who want "a clean data directory", "mod isolation" and virtualization. And there are those who want it to work the way NMM used to work before 0.6 was introduced. I guess nobody wants it to work the way NMM works now - with the virtual install and the symlinks.

They can probably do those 2 things with no problems. Make the base manager install mods directly and provide a module that would change that to some sort of virtualization.

If instead they choose one of those paths there will be an outcry. It seems there is simply no correct answer to this except in providing a switch.

Edited by prinyo

Only thing I am not looking forward to is having to learn how to make installers for yet another program, I hope anything you make in the future allows for a easier way for modders to make our mods work with your programs. I hate scripting so simple is nice.

That said kinda bummed no more work on MO.

Personally I prefer Wrye Bash, it gives me easy control and its sooo user friendly to look at imo. I never use really anything else unless I have to.

Edited by nivea

I like both mod managers. The only reason I chose Mod Organizer over Nexus Mod Manager was because I could manage the load order of ALL my mods. With NMM you could only rearrange the ESM/ESP mods, which meant that I had to install replacer mods in a specific order to get the desired effect. In Mod Organizer, all active mods, ESP or non-ESP, could be arranged to your hearts content and you knew that if you placed a mod lower in the load order it would overwrite mods above it and vice versa. Not only that, but sometimes it was those non-ESP mods that caused problems when they were somewhere in a load order they didn't agree with. Mod Organizer let you move them around to find the problem, NMM couldn't do that if it didn't have an ESP.

So my biggest request for the new NMM is to please allow me to arrange the load order of ALL my mods and not just the ones with ESPs. A second request would be to separate active mods and inactive mods. That was my biggest gripe with MO. Active mods and inactive mods were on the same screen, so when your mod list gets well over 500 like mine(Not all active mind you.) it gets really cluttered and it can be frustrating to try and find all the mods you've activated. You could move them all to the top, but that takes a ton of time and patience. In NMM there was a separate tab for activated mods(ESP mods, not non-ESP mods. See above complaint.) That made it so much easier to keep track of what was installed AND active and I didn't have to wade through a ton of inactive mods to find them(Though to be fair, NMM makes it very clear what is active and what isn't by bolding letters and a green checkmark or red cancel sign, MO was just ticking a gray box.).

To summarize my requests:

1) Allow us to rearrange all of our mods in the load order, even the non-ESP ones.

2) Separate active mods from inactive mods, whether it be separate tabs or just different sections where when you activate a mod, it automatically moves to the active section at the top of the mod list or to the active tab.

I'm not upset with this change, but I can understand the importance of this transition. In fact, I am eager to see what you guys turn up in the long run. Keep up the good work guys behind the scenes! :D Edited by Lloydd94