Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #44239245. #44486430, #44495305 are all replies on the same post.

FunkyLeorox wrote: Mod Organizer isn't even complex, it's just that there are a lot more things you can do with it. The only thing that's complex is profiles and the ordering of mods, it's just overwriting visualized. Honestly I don't see why we can't just rebrand MO as NMM and fix all the bugs with the NMM interface.
evmiller wrote: I agree, Tannin could have saved some time and just used MO as the basis for the new NMM. It really was pretty easy to use. Don't let anyone say otherwise.
Ethreon wrote: The expert explained you none of that is feasible or good, yet here you are.

That COULD work, but Tannin wanted to start from scratch. And I respect that. I assume he wanted to start from scratch because MO had to fake that it was actually NMM for the Nexus servers to let it download. That was a deep basis of the program, and if he started from there, it would always be dependent on an ancient program. Starting from scratch means good, fresh API systems and means an overall more stable and usable program.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope is new mod manager is being build with linux in mind as well. Hopefully, we will see vulkan make gaming on something other than windows a viable option over the coming years. But a system agnostic api is not all thats needed. There needs to be a hole bunch of gaming related software (the new mod managaer being of them) available on linux before this could become reality. So i guess it would be a smart move to write the new mod manager in either a os agnostic fashion or easily portable when the time comes. I guess writing a new seperate one with the same functionality and integration with nexus in the future wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Did Tannin state anything in this regard?

I for one have no plans to adopt windows 10 willingly...because i am absolutely for the empowerment of users and customers. Unfortunately windows moves in the opposite direction. So i hope the 'gaming environment' on linux for instance grows so we can have a real alternative.

I don't think you even need to justify yourself to people complaining about this collaboration.

None of them ever paid a dime for either NMM or MO(2) so they've got no right whatsoever to tell you or anyone else involved in the new project what you're doing is wrong.

Thank you for continuing your work to make modding for both modders and mod-users that much more enjoyable.

"we don’t want to swamp the more casual users of NMM who really just want a very simple modding tool".

MO is not even a modding tool. It is a mod management tool and as such how is it not "very simple" one? It is the whole reason I am using MO instead of NMM. It takes 3 clicks (download, install, activate) to install a mod in MO and one dragging motion to place it in the list. Something you have to do only once instead of however many times you f*#@ up in NMM. I am not sure people that find that process complicated are even capable of using a computer. Why not just take MO as it is, rename it and run with that. Forget NMM ever existed. Also may be fire entire NMM development team in the process because NMM has nothing on MO (name ONE feature) and it took them how many years to achieve that? I will not be surprised when they start adding "user friendly" "features" bloating an already solid project just to keep their jobs and stay relevant.

I wish good luck to Tannin. He deserves to be compensated for his efforts. I truly hope a decent replacement for NMM is possible given tone of this article.

"We have a lot of work ahead of us."

No you don't. Just try not to f*#@ up an already good and mostly functional thing you failed to produce over the years.

Good job Nexus team.

For hiring expert personal, and wanting to better the whole experience with mod manager for everyone.

I got tired of troubleshooting 150 mods at ones years ago, but i'm back with the hope of SSE, and the new mod manager will make my game stable.

Im very excited about how this will turn out, but I'll be playing other games till this project is done.

Please take the time to throw us an update from time to time.

I've looked through this thread for an answer, but i'm not able to find it. My question is simple I hope. What is the actual location of the Washington download server? is it Washington DC or Washington State?