Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #45105020. #45751810, #46305975 are all replies on the same post.

ntnssc wrote: "we don’t want to swamp the more casual users of NMM who really just want a very simple modding tool".

MO is not even a modding tool. It is a mod management tool and as such how is it not "very simple" one? It is the whole reason I am using MO instead of NMM. It takes 3 clicks (download, install, activate) to install a mod in MO and one dragging motion to place it in the list. Something you have to do only once instead of however many times you f*#@ up in NMM. I am not sure people that find that process complicated are even capable of using a computer. Why not just take MO as it is, rename it and run with that. Forget NMM ever existed. Also may be fire entire NMM development team in the process because NMM has nothing on MO (name ONE feature) and it took them how many years to achieve that? I will not be surprised when they start adding "user friendly" "features" bloating an already solid project just to keep their jobs and stay relevant.

I wish good luck to Tannin. He deserves to be compensated for his efforts. I truly hope a decent replacement for NMM is possible given tone of this article.

"We have a lot of work ahead of us."
No you don't. Just try not to f*#@ up an already good and mostly functional thing you failed to produce over the years.
NexusNC wrote: The amount of entitlement in this s*** post, holy S***. If you had bothered to read the whole thing properly instead of letting your eyes be glazed over in anger you'd realize your anger is unfounded. I for one welcome the possibility of a more powerful tool for all modders. If they succeed it can only make the modding community stronger and farther reaching.
DasFedoraGuy wrote: "We don't want to make it too easy to use but not to hard for the nubes"
No, it's going to be a less then stellar manager. Maybe if they released two versions, one for the preschoolers and one for the big boys, then it wouldn't be a problem. Thank god for Wrye Bash is all I'm going to say. If I can't have MO anymore, then I'm going for the next best mod manager.

I absolutely don't get the point of blatantly trolling a bunch of guys who are doing the best they can to support and advance the modding community, users as well as authors. I'm against most forms of forum moderation, just on 'freedom of speech' principles, but there are times I want to re-think my position on that. Like when I read this post, for example. smh

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A request from a once newbie.

Late comer here.

Just been reading the sad and yet promising news.

I tried NMM and then had problems I could not overcome due

to my lack of understanding of mods. So I switched to MO. It was good but still had its own problems for the newbie so I came back to NMM. But now with the help of this site I was able to solve and most importantly understand how mods worked.

Now I have skyrim modded with 120 mods that work without a crash.

But what I really wanted to say was when I was a newbie I experienced a lot trouble because some mod files needed to be placed in the game direectory like ENB and SKSE and others as well because NMM and OM just could not handle these files or the develpoers have not had time to prepare them correctly.

This was extremely fustrating to a newbie like myself.

So I hope you will give some consideration to the problem of managing files that need to be installed "loosely" in the root or any other folder of the game because it needed to be started for whatever reason with the game or the developer had not completely finished the installation fle to a level that they want.

It would be nice to eliminate all "manual installs of loose files" and LEt NMO take full control under some sort of protocol for these files.

I am sure there would be a new game and a smart guy here who thought of a mod that everyone else thought impossible (FINIS animation comes to mind). It would be a shame if a newbie had to manually extract and copy files which he does not have a clue about let alone how to do it.

Good luck with the NMO17. Can't wait to use it.

Edited by pzaw

hi again

The reason I was here earlier is because My computer caught a virus that I could not clean so I had to reinstall windows. I think you know the rest surfice to say that NMM when run had all my mods uninstalled.

Fortunately for me I have all my games in my D drive.

I m not here to ask for help but to point out a quirky thing with NMM, so I believe anyway. I had not worried about it too much only because it was working at the time somehow by pure luck I suppose.

NMM may have a very logical and valid reason for this but in case this is purely because NMM has been evolving until now. I will atttempt to explain the quirk.

I had to reinstall the paths for all my games on D: drive.

Fallout 4, Skyrim, Oblivion, Witcher 3, Dragon age O.

For fallout4, NMM will accept -

Virtual install = D:\modded_games\FO4

Now the quirk is that for Dragon Age, NMM will NOT accept -

Virtual install = D:\modded_games\DAO

but accepts

Virtual install = C:\modded_games\DAO

I cannot see why that would be the case since all my games are installed on the D: drive and my modsunder d:\modded_games\long_name_of_game

I keep all my mods in one place so that in case of emergencies I can go to one place and back up all my mods. This inconsistancy bugs me to no end.

Sorry I like to keep things in their boxes , just bugs me.

I try not to think about it normally.

Just boxes for thought with the new manager.

Although it is late merry Xmas and Happy New year!

In response to post #45622115. #46363195 is also a reply to the same post.

Vyxenne wrote:

I hope I will be able to play properly modded (skse + new nmm) skyrim se during the holidays.

I'm sure you will- the 2017 winter holidays. All indications are we won't even have a SKSE64 release until mid-2017, and Robin's news article above said they have started programming the new NMM. Not finished programming, not released as an alpha or beta, but started programming.

I don't know how anyone can imagine that SKSE64 or NMM could possibly see the light of day within the next 2 weeks.

aristotle99 wrote: SKSE64 Beta by mid March 2017, perhaps earlier. So says behippo, the principal developer working on it.

Now if we could PLEASE have a tiny progress update on the new NMM from Tannin or Dark0ne.

Hopefully, I'm sounding grateful not entitled [i put PLEASE in capital letters :) ]

Thanks, aristotle99, I saw the behippo vid about an hour after I had posted my response here.

Mod Organizer was the first Mod Manager to properly manage the mods without touching the program directory. This has been the down side of every mod manager I've ever used going back to FLMM (Freelancer Mod Manager) all eventually corrupted your game.

Thanks Tannin for all your work on MO and MO2.

Good Luck on new NMM.

In response to post #43927410. #43957015, #46306175 are all replies on the same post.

MrJoseCuervo wrote: Mod Organizer no longer allows updating through the program. Gee Thanks.
b6lph6gor6 wrote: What's the point, if Mod Manager isn't going to be updated in the first place?
DasFedoraGuy wrote: Because it's (still) currently the best mod organizer for complex mods and mod management.

Only the final version disallows updating through MO. If you can't update, then you're already up-to-date.

In response to post #45647750. #46047765 is also a reply to the same post.

Calgar11 wrote: There was this problem NMM that 7-zip files cant be installed by the manager. MO on the other hand did. So figured its a problem with the manger and how it deals with 7zip since the other manger could do it just fine. All i want is the simplicity of install and uninstall of NMM and i want 7zip to work. I was forced to use MO. I like NMM much better but since it cant install half the mods, i was forced to leave.

-Sincerely, loyal nexus user.
madwolf2006 wrote: hi
if it is the problem i think it is i found a fix for this i posted it on the bug tracker but the NMM bug tracker is gone

edit1
can you post a link for a mod that fails to install become of this bug

if its the bug what i think it is then a fix is in the file
Mod Formats\fomod.cs comment out the line 973
C:\NMM Source Code\FOMod\FOMod.cs

FileUtil.ForceDelete(Path.Combine(m_strCachePath, GetRealPath(p_strPath)));

You have to actually have an up-to-date copy of 7zip or Winrar or whatever. NMM can't extract if your Windows installation can't either. MO has that included, but I'm pretty sure NMM relies on your Windows installation to handle that stuff.

In response to post #45152795.

Hakz01 wrote:

As a mod scrub I would like the ease of NMM with the power of MO!

Side question - will this tool eradicate the use of LOOT?

Unlikely. LOOT's masterlists get updated so frequently that any mod manager that tries to have them imported is likely to be behind occasionally. That is, unless the integration is incredibly tight, which would be less than ideal since NMM, while primarily used for LOOT-supported games, is not used exclusively for them.
TLDR: You'll most likely still need LOOT.

Okay, the guy is now doing this full time, has his own team, and should have access to both MO and NMM source code. Why don't we have any news on a beta yet or at least development updates?

I have refused to play Skyrim and mod it since SSE. I hate NMM as it is and whenever I reinstall it, it carries over my old mods that no longer exist in a data folder and shows as installed. I can't uninstall or install modes in that condition. The overwrite system and the way it handles certain mods are very poor. When it was usable, a lot of the time it was game breaking for me.

Edited by NightroModzz