Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

After reading what the testers say and watching a couple of vids, I'm greatly looking forward to Vortex. The one thing I'm not sold on is the looks, but that's entirely subjective and in any case I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Very happy indeed that the launch date is closing in. Hopefully we'll have a stable app which does it all and does it well.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57409106.

fireballz2 wrote: I am not part of this alpha, but I have been reading up on all the comments here and I really do not think I will like this at all. I hate MO, I hate the way MO's lay out, I hate how MO forces you to dig for settings to change around settings. I like how NMM works, I like how NMM installs mods, I do use LOOT already so that is not an issue on my part. so yeah, I have a strong feeling I am going to hate Vortex as much as MO and continue to use NMM until it breaks to the point it wont work anymore at all.

Eh, I think Vortex is more like NMM in terms of being easy to figure out considering it's a NMM replacement. Setting everything up was a breeze, and coming from someone who needed several tutorials just to get MO2 going (what a headache it was for me at first), I found Vortex to be a cake walk when first installing. It's not a manager like MO in the ways you're thinking ... at least, not in my opinion it isn't. Tannin may have brought Mod Organizer to light, but Vortex isn't a manager created in it's image nor is it meant to replace it. It's not going to have every feature that MO/2 has and more. It's going to be the user-friendly manager like NMM is/was, just with a different layout.

The majority of the negativity that Vortex has been receiving has been over not being able to manage the load order with drag and drop, the installation path, no ability to overwrite individual files, and I am sure there are a few more things ... but a good number of them are in motion to be implemented soon -- except for manual drag and drop with the load order, of course, which Tannin is pretty firm on keeping it where it's at. It's a bummer, but the way Vortex handles everything hasn't been that hard to get used to on my end.

The most you will switch around with things will be clicking which game you want to manage or clicking on the "Mods" and "Plugins" tabs, but even then, you can hold CTRL while clicking one of the tabs to create a split to where it will show both to save you from going back and forth. All the settings you need to manage are in plain view -- no digging for anything. It loads up quickly, hasn't stalled out on me a lot like NMM does on the regular, and I haven't experienced any major errors that would cause it to crash (then again, I haven't been pushing it to its limits, just been poking here and there while treading lightly with minor errors).

To be honest, it has its flaws, but nothing that has brought me to a halt to where I need to uninstall it. Its UI is ugly, but at least I can edit it. I'm still going through things and getting some mods in order, but for the most part, it hasn't been all that bad. What mods I have are there, they're in-game, and my game runs fine when launched through Vortex .... I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either.

I'm not a casual modder nor am I near being new to it, but I am also not a super advanced user or mod creator ... I am just somewhere in the middle. I download a lot, switch things up a lot, and edit some mods for personal use a lot. Vortex can easily be a mod manager I see myself using as long as the bugs continue to be ironed out and the "to-do" list becomes shorter, so I am personally going to wait and see how it pans out (as well as see what extensions can possibly be made) before decide it's not worth having on my PC. I still use NMM as my main, but I am okay to give Vortex a shot.

Continue using NMM until the end if it's what you prefer, but at least give Vortex a try before writing it off and hating it just based on what you read, though. Edited by squaresphere

In response to post #57254046. #57254611, #57255026, #57255401, #57258786 are all replies on the same post.

lasse1001 wrote: I have read some comments about Vortex now and I don't understand why it can't have a tick -box with 'I'm an experienced user' during the installation to allow for more/other options within the manager? I understand that it should be easy to use for 'newbies' and that's a very good idea, but limiting all user into the 'easy' version isn't very friendly. Let those that want to change the installation folder, manage their loadorder themselves and so on do that, and everybody will be happy. (?) There's to much of 'We know what's best for you' going on on the net in anyway. Peace out.
Tannin42 wrote: We've already decided there will be an installer that lets you select the target folder.

managing the load order: This has nothing to do with easy mode or not, you can change your load order, just the mechanism you do it by is different. This solution is no less powerful than what existed before. Arguing this is patronising is the same as arguing other mod managers are patronising because they don't work like vortex.
It's two ways of achieving the same thing, we believe this one is the superior one in the long run both in functionality and ease of use, not sacrificing one for the other.

People try to make this about newbie vs advanced but that's nonsense, it's about whether you're willing to give something new a chance or not.
madpaddy wrote: Extremely glad to hear you will be allowing us to choose the install directory and thank you for that, but please consider allowing manual sorting, the current system is extremely convoluted and time consuming. If you have a large load order to sort its a major headache atm.
rincewindTA wrote: So, we gonna be able to choose were to install? Amazing!! That was the only thing that worried me about Vortex. Looking forward to the 12th to test it by myself!! Everything sounds so promising!!
Arthmoor wrote: Guess I know to start telling people to adjust their load order using the game's internal UI then if they're Vortex users. Or worse yet, begin disabling the buttons to download stuff via NMM/Vortex on my mods.

@Arthmoor Ditto.

I'm just seeing a dev that wants to die on the hill for an argument that is clearly logically flawed. Nothing precludes a rule-based system from having manual control. It's like saying I can't change my load order in NMM after sorting with LOOT after it reads user meta data. Absolutely crazy logic.

Using pure dependency rules takes more clicks, more time, more headaches... for less control. Indefensible for a programmer.
Edited by Zeridian

I have two simple questions and a request. I had a third question but it got lost in the cobwebs of age.

1. When Vortex is available for download will I be able to install it, but keep NMM managing my downloads from the Nexus for SkyrimSE? I would prefer downloading manually for Vortex until I'm comfortable with it.

2. Will we be able to see mods loaded in our save games in Vortex like it's possible in MO? One of the best little features of MO in my opinion.

My request is, I would like to see more feedback on how well the profiles are working in Vortex, the other feature of MO that I really like.

I'm looking forward to giving Vortex a try and from what I've read so far it looks like it will work for me once I've gotten used to it. I'm not a power user so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the hard work on Vortex, whether i use it or run screaming back to NMM. Not likely I think.

My apologies if these questions have been answered and I missed them but I have read through the comments.

Edited by oblivionfan52

In response to post #57464886.

oblivionfan52 wrote: I have two simple questions and a request. I had a third question but it got lost in the cobwebs of age.

1. When Vortex is available for download will I be able to install it, but keep NMM managing my downloads from the Nexus for SkyrimSE? I would prefer downloading manually for Vortex until I'm comfortable with it.

2. Will we be able to see mods loaded in our save games in Vortex like it's possible in MO? One of the best little features of MO in my opinion.

My request is, I would like to see more feedback on how well the profiles are working in Vortex, the other feature of MO that I really like.

I'm looking forward to giving Vortex a try and from what I've read so far it looks like it will work for me once I've gotten used to it. I'm not a power user so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the hard work on Vortex, whether i use it or run screaming back to NMM. Not likely I think.

My apologies if these questions have been answered and I missed them but I have read through the comments.

1. It wont handle nexus downloads unless you allow it so you should be fine.

2. Yes you can. I also see it has an option to "Restore save game's plugins" though I haven't tested that.

In response to post #57464886. #57468696 is also a reply to the same post.

oblivionfan52 wrote: I have two simple questions and a request. I had a third question but it got lost in the cobwebs of age.

Lazybob1 wrote: 1. It wont handle nexus downloads unless you allow it so you should be fine.

2. Yes you can. I also see it has an option to "Restore save game's plugins" though I haven't tested that.

Thanks for the answers Lazybob1. Edited by oblivionfan52

In response to post #57423931.

vogues wrote: release alpha for premium members?

worth a shot lol..

...but why? Just wait for the public release. They're trying to get it together and push it out in a few days, anyways.

Sure, it was worth a shot (and you may have just been s**tposting to just be s**tposting) ..... but I've actually come across people insisting this should've been released to us or that we should've had first claims. This mentality is kinda' silly. I may throw a few bucks their way for the month, but it doesn't make me someone more important with higher valued opinions over a basic/free user when it comes to testing out a new mod manager that all types of accounts will be using in the end anwyays. Someone with a basic free account can easily give equal -- or even better -- input/feedback about Vortex in comparison to those of us with a premium account, and let's not kid ourselves, the little green text doesn't indicate whether we're more knowledgeable or experienced when it comes to these things.

The way it was handled gave everyone an equal chance. If you missed it, oh well ... just wait it out.

I am primarily using Vortex to manage Skyrim (Legendary Edition, not Special Edition). For some reason, Vortex wants to put Alternate Start: Live another Life up top. This causes the game to crash to the desktop. I have had to resort to turning off auto sort for Skyrim and using Loot. Just thought someone would like to know.