Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #58097731.

evader wrote: What for we need this clone of other mod-managers?
Just make new program and give it name "NMM (any new version)".
/facepalm

Yea guys, why do you bother making a mod manager that works proper and isn't as old as time?

you should facepalm at yourself.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this article and other information I am expecting an early beta version of Vortex. I intend to find out whether or not my impression or your claim is accurate. As long as it is alpha or later you are accurate is your description. Which is what I will make my judgment of Vortex on, the provided description.

In response to post #58121926.

patchling wrote: From this article and other information I am expecting an early beta version of Vortex. I intend to find out whether or not my impression or your claim is accurate. As long as it is alpha or later you are accurate is your description. Which is what I will make my judgment of Vortex on, the provided description.

The Alpha state is precisely the best time for us to test Vortex and provide our feedback to the developer's team not when it turns to Beta and nobody knows when will that happen. Once in Beta state, you voice may be an echo lost in time ! :)

In response to post #58121926. #58131101 is also a reply to the same post.

patchling wrote: From this article and other information I am expecting an early beta version of Vortex. I intend to find out whether or not my impression or your claim is accurate. As long as it is alpha or later you are accurate is your description. Which is what I will make my judgment of Vortex on, the provided description.
sopmac45 wrote: The Alpha state is precisely the best time for us to test Vortex and provide our feedback to the developer's team not when it turns to Beta and nobody knows when will that happen. Once in Beta state, you voice may be an echo lost in time ! :)

It has been working reasonably well so far. Alpha level feedback options, perhaps. But Vortex is much more stable than any alpha software that I have used.

Oh, and thinking of feedback, the implemented feedback option is useful. My OS has something that I can use to take a screenshot of an open window, and occasionally I take the "A picture is worth a thousand words" approach to providing feedback!

In response to post #58026271. #58044921 is also a reply to the same post.

xnadler wrote: One addition that I think should be added involves FNIS. After you run FNIS through the Vortex you will get a pop-up asking if you want to confirm the changes it made. BUT you don't get that pop-up until the next time you install or enable a mod. The problem of course is that running FNIS is sometimes the last thing you do after installing mods, so the condition for the pop-up doesn't trigger.

So what I'm thinking is a potential error warning, simular to what Vortex puts up when there are potential mod conflicts would be a great way to allow the user to force the pop-up to ... well, pop up.
Jokermaniaque wrote: You can click the "Deploy Mods" button on the mod list tab to force Vortex to check for changes in mods, which will trigger the pop-up.
Of course it won't solve the problem for the unaware users, but for now it's the best way I found to force the pop-up to appear.

Thanks, this is perfect.

But another comment on what I think would make this work better. I spent hours trying to figure out why FNIS wasn't working properly. The answer was I was undoing the changes it was making when I used the confirmation pop-up. The problem is the pop-up has what looks like an Apply button, which changes to an Undo button if you apply, followed of course by hitting the Confirm button. The problem is that these aren't Apply and Undo buttons, they're a toggle and hitting Apply turns it into Undo and visa versa. If these could be made more clearly toggles, that would be good.

In response to post #58026271. #58044921, #58153281 are all replies on the same post.

xnadler wrote: One addition that I think should be added involves FNIS. After you run FNIS through the Vortex you will get a pop-up asking if you want to confirm the changes it made. BUT you don't get that pop-up until the next time you install or enable a mod. The problem of course is that running FNIS is sometimes the last thing you do after installing mods, so the condition for the pop-up doesn't trigger.

So what I'm thinking is a potential error warning, simular to what Vortex puts up when there are potential mod conflicts would be a great way to allow the user to force the pop-up to ... well, pop up.
Jokermaniaque wrote: You can click the "Deploy Mods" button on the mod list tab to force Vortex to check for changes in mods, which will trigger the pop-up.
Of course it won't solve the problem for the unaware users, but for now it's the best way I found to force the pop-up to appear.
xnadler wrote: Thanks, this is perfect.

But another comment on what I think would make this work better. I spent hours trying to figure out why FNIS wasn't working properly. The answer was I was undoing the changes it was making when I used the confirmation pop-up. The problem is the pop-up has what looks like an Apply button, which changes to an Undo button if you apply, followed of course by hitting the Confirm button. The problem is that these aren't Apply and Undo buttons, they're a toggle and hitting Apply turns it into Undo and visa versa. If these could be made more clearly toggles, that would be good.

@Xnadler
Agreed, I accidentally did the same thing. They look like buttons you would click to apply the changes like a confirmation. But it's actually just a togglable option of what you want it to do after you click confirm. That for sure needs to be changed to be more clear.

In response to post #58026271. #58044921, #58153281 are all replies on the same post.

@Xnadler

Agreed, I accidentally did the same thing. They look like buttons you would click to apply the changes like a confirmation. But it's actually just a togglable option of what you want it to do after you click confirm. That for sure needs to be changed to be more clear.

Me too. I failed to notice it change to undo. Just clicked and hit confirm, twice.

In response to post #58185821.

LawrenceFB wrote:

@Xnadler

Me too. I failed to notice it change to undo. Just clicked and hit confirm, twice.

Me Three :) had the same problem back at launch day. I mentioned it back then but I think few people could make sense of what I was saying at the time.

I realize I'm being lazy but I have a simple question. Is it possible to move all the mods from F:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\FalloutNV\Mods to a similar path for Vortex? I suppose it's good I have Premium as DLing about 40GBs of mods again is gonna suck. I suppose it'll have a similar function of adding mods from FoMods and archives? Edited by Alucard0Reborn