Do not put mods/downloads into your Vortex install directory!

Tannin42

That bad rule? Doesn't matter. I have literally spoken on this with doing things solely on D drive because that's where my solid state computer had the seperate program and data storage. C: drive was solely for my Windows crud and I complained that my Vortex was rambling on about admin status on C: which it was not on. Not the Steam, not the game (Skyrim SE), not the mods, and NOT Vortex. Two hours later I had a horrific crash and my Windows has set back to initial state, losing even the complimentary crud Dell provided (aside from McAfee which I use other AV to avoid like the plague) What's more, it kepr resetting. If it doesn't this time, well, I'll know why. You guys really, REALLY need to get off your C;/ fixation for us solid-state computer users!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

That bad rule? Doesn't matter. I have literally spoken on this with doing things solely on D drive because that's where my solid state computer had the seperate program and data storage. C: drive was solely for my Windows crud and I complained that my Vortex was rambling on about admin status on C: which it was not on. Not the Steam, not the game (Skyrim SE), not the mods, and NOT Vortex. Two hours later I had a horrific crash and my Windows has set back to initial state, losing even the complimentary crud Dell provided (aside from McAfee which I use other AV to avoid like the plague) What's more, it kepr resetting. If it doesn't this time, well, I'll know why. You guys really, REALLY need to get off your C;/ fixation for us solid-state computer users!

is this a follow on from your rant yesterday?

could you do yourself a huge favor, and post what exactly the issue is you've got in a new thread, so that you can receive help with it?

its really not hard to do and you've posted thousands of messages in these forums, so i don't get why this is so difficult for you to do?

• 2 months later...

Why don't mods appear in the game after installing through this stupid vortex? Some links only to the mod are lying around everywhere and that's it. I have already installed the installation directly in the settings and still not one mod is not installed. Not for one game!

Why was it necessary to do this nonsense at all? Previously, everything was installed with grief in half, and after updating this manager, now I can't install more than one mod. And if in fallout 3 and NV there is a choice of installation through the launcher, then what about fallout 4? Modders can't even read me a file to add for manual installation. Lazy!

What's next? There will be another program to install a mod for this program through this program?

I run the game with two mouse clicks, without additional launchers or steam, why would I use something else to play with mods? And you're still chasing Todd after that?

Edited by portal2x2

• 3 months later...

Yes... I just lost all the files with this mornings update, and there was no warning. It seems that vortex does not recognize the directory that the old version was using. Moving to steam is not looking so bad now.

Edited by MPontiac

• 1 month later...

Wait, Vortex has always downloaded mods to its home directory as far as I know. Wait, wait, this is wild. Are you talking about the App Data Directory? The App Data Vortex directory right??? Because, Vortex just updated, all my mods are still there. I have it on 9 different PCs in my shop right now, so I just tried this on my Windows 11 and 10 computer for ya: Both PCs I uninstalled and reinstalled Vortex. And there's nearly 300GB of mods still there where I left them. But you're saying that's impossible because Vortex deletes these on update? Omg, my mods would have been gone so many times if that were the App Data folder. So the app data folder isn't Vortex's install directory?

I mean, admin status is crap anyways. I never understood why people have problems with UAC. I literally have everything but Vortex running from Program Files. Why? Cause you don't need to be a software engineer to just use a combination of gpedit and a little thing you souped up in a trial version of someone's app builder in a few days to literally annihilate UAC completely thereby cutting up some of the "private security bubble around Microsoft's assets" as Edward Snowden puts it. (Check his Twitter for tech stuff like this btw). Then you don't have to worry about this stupid Program Files peeps are always talking about. I even did it with Windows 11 recently which has a code literally made to stop you from using GPedit on some builds. If you're concerned about security, do something what T.A.I.L.S. did, but I recommend replacing Windows Defender (after taking control of your entire drive including hidden proprietary software) with a modified gpedit.msc or another self-bult app (they're everywhere these days it seems) with the famous Russian Intelligence made Kaspversky. It may take a lot of tutorials, lectures-I can recommend some great lectures by brilliant professors on Windows systems and building viruses-but it's worth it. I've never had to deal with any issues related to my Program Files.

Edited by LynBreonna666