What was the game that caused your gaming addiction to begin?

Systex

well the first game I rememer to play, and the one that gave me addiction, was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I had a pirate copy in my mother pc that was there foreverer. I think it was a computer technician (the nerd with a notebook case that comes and spend two hours under your computer table trying to fix it (I fear to become this guy)) that installed it during a formatting. I dunno when exactly but I think I was 6 or 7 or 8 years old. I remember to spent most hours of my days playing it, the first mission in arzew only, cuz I had too much fear of the german dogs that were in the second mission. Only 2 or 3 years after, a friend of mine came and killed the dogs, so I could go trough the game. Yes u heard it, I spent two f*#@ing years and a half playing the same mission of the same game, always restarting it when after completing the first mission. Idk why but that f*#@ing dogs give me fear even now, when I replay that game. Well that was not the only game I had. Another game I spent a lot of hours like moh was Spider Man 2. It have a f*#@ing bug in the space mission, when u try to throw a meteor in mysterio (I used to think it was an alien, didn't know much about spiderman and marvel), the meteor explodes in your head randomly, so I died a lot in that mission, the following one is full of bugs too, especially in the part when a lot of big bad guys surround you. Sometimes, because a bug, the door don't open so you stay there, stuck forever. At least those big bad guys weren't peter's step bros 7w7.

I had a few cds too, Operation Air Assault, an AH-64 Apache game, very fun, but I only figured out how to use the guided missiles when I tried to replay it last year, and subsequentially finish the game. I also had nova logic's Mig 29 Fulcrum and F-16 Multirole Fighter, that came with a delta force demo.

Last but not least, I used to play nfs - porsche unleashed, with a steering wheel controller, and after some years that technician installed nfs carbon too.

Ah, and I forgot to mention, but my mother always liked one game: Luxor, so I used to play it too. Apart from those "official" games, I spent a lot of time in a website, called click jogos, playing browser games, like clickdeath, madness and even red crucible 2.

Since I was a child and didn't know english, cuz I'm not an english speaker, I only understood the history of those games replaying them now, but when I do it, I feel a very intensive sound memory, I mean, I remember the sound of the words characters like Jack Grillo (Grillo Jack for me) said, not understanding the words but remembering the sound of the speaking, and this makes me feel nostalgic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was in my 20's I visited a kid around age 12... his brother had committed suicide over a girl. He was depressed so I would go visit and he had a Super Nintendo. I had no idea what a what a Super Nintendo was at the time but when he got me to play Zelda: Link to the Past and Final Fantasy II I was blown away. For PC, my brother built me a PC and gave me a copy of StarCraft. I knew I was addicted when I had stayed up all night and the sun came up the next morning and I was still playing :)

Bought my very first PC to play one game...Zork I then Zork II and III This was hmmm, 1981 ish.

BTW, they are free on the net and if you are clever enough and have a pencil and paper to draw your maps they are a whole lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

Adventure for the Atari 2600 which incidentally you can find Warren Robinett's Easter Egg (one of if not the very FIRST gaming easter eggs - from 1979!) wherein you needed to find 1 small Black Pixel in a literal OCEAN of black pixels. Read about it, the story about the easter egg is funny.

Oh, not addicted I would clarify the term as Hobby in my response because I do not play as much as I got older.

• 2 years later...

I am going to date myself with this, but such is life ...

The year was 1977, and I was working for a bank in So Cal. A co-worker had a copy of Colossal Cave Adventure which would run on the IBM OS/VS2 Mainframe we used as our test machine. It was written in Fortran, and since I was the only one on the staff that knew Fortran, my co-worker cajoled me into finding and fixing a bug. To find the bug, and test the solution, I had to play the game. Needless to say, I got hooked.

I also made a few changes to the game, so it is officially the first game I made mods for.

• 6 months later...

My gaming addiction started with Arcade halls and the Game and Watch, I particularly remember the game Parachute and playing that in school along with everyone else who had their own preference of a Game and Watch. People might think kids looking down on a screen all day is something new, it's not, we had that in 1980 too.

As for arcade games it was the first ones (yes i'm old), so Donkey Kong, Space Invaders etc, but of course i followed it's whole existence of games and played a ton of arcade games. Last year i built my own arcade machine PC (for use with MAME etc):

brkAio7.jpeg

• 2 months later...

As a young teenager, traveling in a coastal ship along the West Australian Coast going north to south from Darwin to Perth I was able to play a coin operated video game the name of which I can not remember but it was a simple white maze, randomised with each game, that a player steered a basic white shape of a battletank around while fighting others like it. One could, from what I remember, play it as one person or as two people with a split screen view. That was in 1972!

Edited by Maharg67
Did edit!