Vortex 1.0 Release

BigBizkit

Guest deleted34304850

can i ask, in all seriousness, why did you feel obligated to tell us you were not going to use something in a post that clearly announces the fact that the thing you're not going to use, is available?

is it some sort of unconcious requirement?

not taking the piss here, genuinely interested, because for the life of me, i cannot understand why you were compelled to make that post.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

why do you miss something that never went away? again, honest question here. can you tell me why you miss nmm when it's freely downloadable and usable?

In response to post #72466388.

ksolonenko wrote: But we still can't change load order as easiliy as in any other mod manager?

No drag-n-drop (which I'd like to see with Vortex).

But you can still setup rules (like with the old BOSS and LOOT plugin sorters [anyone that's been along long enough, this won't be an issue]), and if you need a plugin at a specific spot then you can assign that plugin an Index number (like assign a plugin to load at the 90th plugin spot via Mod Index).

Sorting is easy with Vortex, it would be even easier with drag-n-drop support.
IMO, Vortex is a very good mod manager. There's room for improvement but I don't really understand the hate it receives. Edited by UWShocks

After reading the interesting discussion, I would like to share my opinion.

Time has become fast-paced. People want to reach their goals quickly but modding has always been a time-consuming process. When I set up a new build, I usually spent about three months to get it done. Crazy? For me that’s modding. This includes carefully reading mod descriptions, understanding the mods and their compatibility, patching, fixing bugs, sorting and testing. This is the standard the community has established over the years. Modding guides can help with it.

Maybe others do not spend as much time with it then I do, but a new build cannot be done within one or two days. But exactly this is what Nexus is trying to achieve: More time for playing, less for modding. Automated sorting (Vortex), automated mod selection and downloading (Mod packs) are key components. We are told by Nexus we need to have an open mind and have to change our old habits. For me it is the evidence to support the view of Arthmoor, that Nexus is trying to set new standards. It is obvious. I would call it a new modding philosophy. One component is Vortex, Mod packs another (which I also see very critically but this is another story).

The goal probably is to excite more people for modding and attract more people to Nexus. Not fundamentally wrong, but is this still modding? I don’t know. But it reflects the zeitgeist.

This whole discussion is not just about plug & play sorting, it is way more. It is the struggle between two modding philosophies. Basically, it boils down to us being told that the established modding standard is outdated and kind of wrong and Vortex can do everything better. That is why sides are so unforgiving and often especially veteran modders are angry about it. UWShocks, that’s why so much hate about it. Many people cannot accept it. No 1ae0bfb8, those People do not sit sulking in the corner and say nothing, but they simply moved on and don’t care anymore.

Personally I tried Vortex for about three weeks, did not like it and moved back to MO2 and Wrye Bash. No more to say about it. Call me a blockhead. I don’t care. Luckily we have the choice to follow the modding philosophy we want.

Guest deleted34304850

Can you clarify your definition of modding, if it is not to use a particular tool to deploy mods to a series of game directories?

No elitism please, and your post reeks of it, just define what you think modding is, so i can make sense of your post. thanks.

Also, you seem to be able to speak on behalf of ALL people who have moved on. Can you back this assertion up with hard evidence please, so I can take it at face value? Just because you say something, doesn't make it true. Give me evidence of your findings, or don't mention it. Thanks.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

In response to post #72500873.

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

Can you clarify your definition of modding, if it is not to use a particular tool to deploy mods to a series of game directories?

No elitism please, and your post reeks of it, just define what you think modding is, so i can make sense of your post. thanks.

Also, you seem to be able to speak on behalf of ALL people who have moved on. Can you back this assertion up with hard evidence please, so I can take it at face value? Just because you say something, doesn't make it true. Give me evidence of your findings, or don't mention it. Thanks.

Let it be good. Your snarky attitude against everybody with a different opinion is well known. My post was meant as a personal opinion. This is what the comment section is for. What you are asking is sufficiently described. You did not like my opinion? Fine. I don't give a toss. I also do not like most of your posts either. Mod how you like to mod. I do how I like it. Simple. No need to continue this discussion but I bet you can not stop having the last word.

Guest deleted34304850

i'm just seeking clarity.

you made some comments about modding (let's face it, at the highest level, it's copying files into directories, so not hard), which left me confused. if you can't be bothered to explain what you consider modding to be, then i'll just disregard it as yet more unsubstantiated nonsense, which is the only path left to me.

your call my friend. put your toys back into the pram and go back to your elitist file copying set up and be happy.

oh, one more thing, which continues to puzzle me.

if you're not going to use vortex, then why did you feel compelled to post here telling the world of your decision? are you going to post similar messages on every mod that you plan to not use too?

just asking, for a friend. thanks.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8