What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

In response to post #82013903.

crafterfelix wrote: Ah recently I got the notification to vote for modpack support, however it seems to be closed? It stated in the original message it will be open until August 30th. It is only June 13th. Surely the Google survey should still be open?

"The form What do you think about mod packs? - Mod Author Survey is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake."

That was last year. So it expired in August 2019.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #82016448.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

I DO NOT want vortex automatically 'checking' anything except itself.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?

Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number. Edited by Pickysaurus

Hi. My Fallout 4 was rock solid for a long time with only 30 mods and F4SE. I was using Vortex but when I updated to the latest Vortex a week ago the game either will not start or crashes within a few seconds of game play. No mod changes.

I use Bitdefender as anti virus which I've had no problems with. All Fallout 4 related programs are whitelisted.

I've re-installed Fallout 4, all mods, F4SE and Vortex - the game still crashes during loading or within seconds of playing.

Any ideas please? - Thanks

In response to post #82013903. #82017593 is also a reply to the same post.

crafterfelix wrote: Ah recently I got the notification to vote for modpack support, however it seems to be closed? It stated in the original message it will be open until August 30th. It is only June 13th. Surely the Google survey should still be open?

"The form What do you think about mod packs? - Mod Author Survey is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake."
Dark0ne wrote: That was last year. So it expired in August 2019.

Oh why did it just pop up for me now? 0-0 it wouldn't let me leave the popup until I hit the checkmark box, it was really weird!

In response to post #81857318. #81863108, #81867998, #81962398, #81983538 are all replies on the same post.

vevesumi wrote: its refusing to log me in at all its infuriating. the api key keeps timing out as well.
i decided trying to uninstall and reinstall vortex. now i cant download it at all. welp thanks i guess.
Pickysaurus wrote: Sounds like something on your PC is blocking Vortex from accessing the internet. Check your security apps.
vevesumi wrote: good news. it installed and actually logged me in when disabling malwarebytes. lets hope i stay logged in!
vevesumi wrote: and again it wont let me log in. this is infuriating.
HadToRegister wrote:
vevesumi
and again it wont let me log in. this is infuriating.

Is MalwareBytes still disabled, or did you enable it again?

disabled. whenever i want to log into vortex i have to restart my computer entirely.

In response to post #82016448. #82018443 is also a reply to the same post.

MadeUpName92 wrote: I got a notification in Vortex that a new version of F4SE is out.

I DO NOT want vortex automatically 'checking' anything except itself.

Were did I give you permission to snoop around my PC and check what other software I have?
Pickysaurus wrote: Pretty sure it only does that when you click the "check for updates" button...

Regardless if you click the little gear on the update notification you can stop it from appearing, although there isn't really a good reason not to have the latest version installed unless you have an out of date and/or pirated copy of the game.

EDIT: It may actually do this on starting the up but it doesn't do an actual online "check", Vortex knows what the latest version of the script extender was when it was released so it just compares the version on your PC or to that number.

You didn't answer any of my questions, you only implied I was using a pirated copy of the game.

I repeat, where exactly did I give Vortex permission to check software other then the games I'm modding with it or the mods I install with it? (F4SE is not installed through Vortex)

There are several very good reasons not to update to the latest version. Here's a copy/paste from my latest post on the "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup" thread. A mod with over 60,000 downloads whos purpose is to make rolling back to a previous version much easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ WARNING! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fallout 4 may auto-update when you "CLOSE" it after starting it with F4SE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just recently started a new game after not having played FO4 for several months. My exe is Version 1.10.138 and I'm still using the matching F4SE for that version. When I closed the game, steam started to download the update even though it's set to "Only update at launch" and I only start the game with F4SE after I've started steam. Steam doesn't even show the game is running. Luckily my Cable Modem is within arms reach and I quickly unplugged the cat cable.

Vortex is showing 171 plugins and I like the way my game runs and I just don't want it to change it so, I don't plan on ever updating it.
Edited by MadeUpName92

In response to post #81932593. #81933703, #81947853, #81950163, #81963433 are all replies on the same post.

SkullRott wrote: SK64 script extender still doesn't work...….
BigBizkit wrote: I can confirm that it does. How did you go about installing it?
SkullRott wrote: Followed the new Vortex instructions. I've tried installing it in past and now using Vortex I get the same results. I click on script extender launch button on dashboard and get a message about the executable not being found.
HadToRegister wrote:
SkullRott
Followed the new Vortex instructions. I've tried installing it in past and now using Vortex I get the same results. I click on script extender launch button on dashboard and get a message about the executable not being found.

If vortex is complaining about not being able to find the script extender exe, then you have it installed incorrectly, Vortex ALWAYS looks for the Script Extender exe in the Root game directory, where the skyrim.exe, or fallout4.exe etc is.
If you have a folder in your game root directory that's named something like this "skse64_2_00_07" etc, then it's not installed correctly.
Just follow the installation instructions included inside the SKSE64.7z file.

SKSE install

[ Installation ]

1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim SE directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\. If you see files named SkyrimSE and SkyrimSELauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.

2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

Pickysaurus wrote: It's also possible your dashboard shortcut is misconfigured.

As I already stated....Vortex "installed" it. Not me. And it does not work....

In response to post #81932593. #81933703, #81947853, #81950163, #81963433, #82054273 are all replies on the same post.

SkullRott wrote: SK64 script extender still doesn't work...….
BigBizkit wrote: I can confirm that it does. How did you go about installing it?
SkullRott wrote: Followed the new Vortex instructions. I've tried installing it in past and now using Vortex I get the same results. I click on script extender launch button on dashboard and get a message about the executable not being found.
HadToRegister wrote:
SkullRott
Followed the new Vortex instructions. I've tried installing it in past and now using Vortex I get the same results. I click on script extender launch button on dashboard and get a message about the executable not being found.

If vortex is complaining about not being able to find the script extender exe, then you have it installed incorrectly, Vortex ALWAYS looks for the Script Extender exe in the Root game directory, where the skyrim.exe, or fallout4.exe etc is.
If you have a folder in your game root directory that's named something like this "skse64_2_00_07" etc, then it's not installed correctly.
Just follow the installation instructions included inside the SKSE64.7z file.

SKSE install

[ Installation ]

1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim SE directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\. If you see files named SkyrimSE and SkyrimSELauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.

2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

Pickysaurus wrote: It's also possible your dashboard shortcut is misconfigured.
SkullRott wrote: As I already stated....Vortex "installed" it. Not me. And it does not work....

SkullRott
As I already stated....Vortex "installed" it. Not me. And it does not work....

AGAIN, If Vortex is complaining about not being able to find the EXE, you either installed it wrong, or you have the Dashboard shortcut set wrong.
Your Dashboard shortcut, when you click on the 3 vertical dots, should have the TARGET and START IN paths set up something like this
TARGET and START IN Paths

Check your Skyrim SE folder, do you have files named SKSE64_Loader.exe in it?
If not, then you are Installing SKSE64 wrong, or not preparing the *.7z file improperly.

In response to post #81916563. #81983618, #81987858, #81991703, #82015728 are all replies on the same post.

MikeInWare wrote: I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
I am eager for ModPaks in the future! Now with kids I don't have time to screw around with mods to get it perfect and am willing to pay for the ModPak to save my time.

Which is why a lot of modders don't like or want mod packs, because if you're paying for a modpack, then it's the person who put the modpack together that's getting paid, and NOT the people who actually made the mods.
There's already someone who did that and has their modpack behind a paywall on patreon, so while a bunch of mod authors did all the work, the guy who made the modpack is making all the money of other people's efforts.
llihP wrote: You make it sound as if making a bunch of mods work properly requires no effort. Creating a functioning mod list on Wabbajack is a mammoth task when you incorporate multiple, complex mods. I know because I've tried. There's no easy way to do it.

If this person isn't taking credit for creating the mods, then there's nothing wrong with putting a price on the time it takes to create a functioning mod pack. People are free to charge for their mods in the same way if they like, nothing's stopping them. In fact I recall paying Chesko years ago when he originally set up a patreon to help fund his mod development (before he had to take it down).

I would also happily pay for working mod packs regardless of who is setting them up.
MikeInWare wrote: They will make it work and get in line as the profits for ModPaks for the coming new Elder Scrolls "sequel" to Skyrim will be insane. I am absolutely confident that there will be vast amounts of ModPaks despite the challenges. If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.
HadToRegister wrote:
MikeInWare
If older modders balk they can be left out of the profits and a new generation of open minded modders can step in and earn profit collaborating on ModPaks.

Modders are already being left out of the profits!
Do you think that the people who basically took mods without permission, then made a modpack and are charging money for it are sending each modder a cut of those profits?
NO.
Currently the problem is, people making the modpacks aren't asking permission from the modders, and are making modpacks, then putting them behind paywalls and making money of them.
Essentially stealing the mods, packing them together and making money off the work of others.
Modders aren't even being given a say on whether they want or don't want their mods in mod packs.

'Packing them together'. An oversimplification if I ever saw one.

The time and effort required to create functioning most lists still seems to escape you for some reason.

They aren't packaging mods as they are and selling them. They aren't simply packaging them together and calling it a day either.

They are packaging mods in conjunction with custom patches (patches that can be classified as mods of their own) and load orders to ensure an automated experience that is hassle free. There are issues associated with maintaining these modpacks as well. Did the game just get an official update? There's more work they have to do. A mod in the list has been updated? Even more. A mod is updated with various new features that conflict with mod X, Y and Z? There's a tonne of additional work.

If 'packing them together' is the grand sum of your understanding, then clearly you don't understand what these people are doing at all.