['User' search] turns into 'Author' results

JimmyRJump

Aggravating stuff when you want a simple (or what should be 'simple') search for a member on Nexus. Type-in a name, select 'User' in the drop-down menu and hit 'enter' and the result is you get a bunch of names (if any) from mod authors.

It's nice to have a search function, it's bleedin' annoying when that search function has presets that don't match what you're looking for.

Another badly thought-through implementation. In the end, it doesn't matter how many things are great and work well, it's the littlr things that don't work like it should that get stuck in people's memory when the time comes to rate a website.

It's always been a search for AUTHOR, they renamed it to USER for some reason.

In other words, it's working as intended, the only thing that has been changed is Author changed to USER

Well, every 'Author' is a 'User', but not every 'User' is an 'Author', so the menu option should be changed back to 'Author'. Or better, opitmise the cross-reference and add a proper 'User' list (as in, signed-up member, banned or not) to the search results.

I found who I was looking for thanks to the member being on my friends list, mind. But I don't want to go as far as adding every single sign-up of Nexus to my friends portifolio just to be able to find someone...

When our previous designer updated the nav it was called "Users" because eventually that's what it will do.

At the moment the members database is simply too big for the current (forum) search to be able to process it efficiently. At some stage we will have a custom built user search but for now it's not possible.

Am I understanding you correctly that sometime in the future, you can go to a mod page and search for whomever uses the mod?

Why? Does anyone really care who uses a specific mod? And with some mods having download in the hundred of thousands, who would want to look through such a list?

Why can't the term "User" be put back to "Author", which was the way it was and makes more sense?

Am I understanding you correctly that sometime in the future, you can go to a mod page and search for whomever uses the mod?

Why? Does anyone really care who uses a specific mod? And with some mods having download in the hundred of thousands, who would want to look through such a list?

Why can't the term "User" be put back to "Author", which was the way it was and makes more sense?

Nope. It's as simple as searching for anyone who signed-up to Nexus. Now, the database search only gives results for people who uploaded a mod, aka 'Authors'. Anybody else, the 'Users' aren't yet possible to find through search.

I wanted to gift a Premium membership to my girlfriend, but couldn't find her through a search for 'Users'. She's of course on my friends list and that's how I was able to find her profile and proceed.

When our previous designer updated the nav it was called "Users" because eventually that's what it will do.

At the moment the members database is simply too big for the current (forum) search to be able to process it efficiently. At some stage we will have a custom built user search but for now it's not possible.

Cheers picky.

You are not understanding correctly. Picky is literally talking about the ability to search for a user's account on the site. Not anything to do with who has downloaded which files.

You are not understanding correctly. Picky is literally talking about the ability to search for a user's account on the site. Not anything to do with who has downloaded which files.

On the mod pages, in the search function, Author has been changed to User. I have asked this question previously and never got a logical answer. Why was Author changed to User?

If I remember correctly, it was going to be changed sometime in the future where you could search for who downloaded the mod. Why would anyone want too is beyond me.

Is there any reason it cannot be changed back to Author? Since that is the only result you get when you use User in the mod search.

On the mod pages, in the search function, Author has been changed to User. I have asked this question previously and never got a logical answer. Why was Author changed to User?

If I remember correctly, it was going to be changed sometime in the future where you could search for who downloaded the mod. Why would anyone want too is beyond me.

Is there any reason it cannot be changed back to Author? Since that is the only result you get when you use User in the mod search.

You're not remembering correctly then, because that information would be completely useless.