Time for ideas on TES VI

daventry

Wow. A lot of whiners here but okay, let me start on the baddest of the bunch.

The guy who said RPGs should just be on PC should get a reality check. Do you know how expensive it is to keep upgrading a PC? Graphics card alone to carry you a year or two is about 400 dollars. I'm currently running an Nvidia Geforce GT 650M 2GB card. That's a card that is sadly going to get older and older and older and i'll have to replace it. When I do that, I will need a new power supply to power it. I will also eventually need to upgrade my processor. This is a total money sink and video games would not be as popular as they are without Consoles. While it is true that PC games were more complicated than their Pong Console counterparts in the early days of gaming, and were more convenient than going to an Arcade, the NES and SNES basically took the small, nerdy niche hobby into something that could be a real thriving art medium and market for products.

Without consoles there would BE no PC version because of what I stated before... it is TOO EXPENSIVE to own a gaming rig for the average family that has to put food on their table, put their kids through school, pay taxes, and other life expenses. You are obviously not an independent individual who has to work for a living otherwise you would understand that there is more to life than having a monster gaming rig. Again, not all people can afford this... a console solves this very problem by making video games as a market and product easy to get into and maintain. This means more people can purchase games, and keep game companies alive, and make fertile ground for new game companies to try their hand at making games.

Until you understand the importance of how consoles revolutionized and pioneered gaming techniques, I suggest you don't go for a "ONLY PC VERSION" type of bash fest. Both PC and COnsoles have their merits as well as their faults.

Now, most of these are whining and let me explain to you why it is... let me also preface this by saying a lot of your ideas are NOT FEASIBLE for an open world game like Skyrim. Let me also preface this by saying there are MANY mods that already address your concerns, and that I CAN AGREE AND SYMPATHIZE ON SOME POINTS THAT ARE MADE (especially the fellow a few posts up with all those nifty quest suggestions, SPOT ON my friend). In a LINEAR rpg like Dragon Age, it makes much more sense, but this kind of game would be terrible. For example, you wanted more realism? Look at GTA San Andreas. It is hiliarious and fun. The combat is not anything near realistic, the story less so, but it is fun and that is the most important part of a game... to be FUN not to be REALISTIC. When games like GTA IV come out they ultimately will not be as fun. GTA is not the kind of game (or skyrim) where you want REALISM. If I wanted to get text messages to go meet friends at a bar or have phone conversations... I WOULD DO THAT IN REAL LIFE. Games are ultimately created to explore new ideas in a fun creative way that allows us to escape from reality, not go further into the same old same old.

Think of Roller Coaster Tycoon where you had set up appointments with contractors and building crews and had to wait months for a park to be constructed, then, you had to get investors for your project idea...

Think of Legend of Zelda where link's boots would need to be resewn and his tunic stitched up, or having to fix the mastersword...

Think of Mario Kart where you had to turn on your turn signal to move into another lane or follow a speed limit.

Think of a Batman game where batman could be arrested and have to serve jail time for being a vigilante.

More realism works in SOME games like L.A. Noire or something like that. Other games like this... it just doesn't work well.

Leave the game a game and don't make it a chore. Hardcore mode in NV, I will agree was a welcome feature. It had just enough to make it challenging while still making it a GAME. I would suggest implementing that system if yo uwant more challenging combat. Shoot a guy in the leg with a crossbow bolt to make him move slower. If you notice, it actually effects both people, PC and NPC, and it doesn't change the way the guy looks if you blow him up. The reason being it just wouldn't be that great. You might think that, but you have to understand a MAJORITY would NOT want that. and at the end of the day, you want to get PAID as a company to STAY ALIVE and not go BANKRUPT. You need to please the masses as they say. Tough crap. Deal with it. That's why I got the PC version so I can get mods to change the gameplay. Let me say that I believe console players are getting the short end of the stick, but still have a very fun game to play multiple times. I played oblivion on 360 because I couldn't afford a gaming rig at the time, surprise surprise, real adult life. Because they made a console version, I happily bought DLC for not only the console, but rebought them on PC along with mods. That's two copies of the game, at least eight DLC downloads, and an expansion pack for both. That's why you make a console version, so that people will get introduced to a franchise that they would never have otherwise been able to be introduced to, and spend their money on it... that's good business practice.

Slicing an arm and it comes off? Really? Again, fallout NV's system and 3's works. You still can use the arm, but your accuracy and power goes down dramatically, with HC mode you need to visit a doctor to get it patched up... makes sense, and stimpaks healed over time, not automatically... made sense and was not too realistic. This maintains fun and balance. IF I wanted to lose my arm in a battle, i'd join the army and go to Afghanistan where I could possibly get a real injury.... it makes sense in REAL life because we SEE real life... a game is different and should BE different. There should NEVER be a REALISTIC GAME... it makes NO SENSE.

Another idea: Fireballs that set you on fire and make you have to put it out before attacking... have you PLAYED old games with those mechanics... it is RIDICULOUS and makes you want to BRAIN YOURSELF with a hammer.

I dare you to pick up a copy of Lester the Unlikely... there is your REALISTIC (or watch a youtube video of it) mechanics in action... TELL ME you want that in a game and you'll be lying.

I agree that sneaking should be a bit different... AI should be on high alert once you are stupid enough to kill a body where it can be discovered... that makes sense where they constantly look around for something. Again, you have to separate that though... you have many players playing that are not at uber gamer mode like we are and will get really pissed with that. An introduction of a hardcore mode that can also be on master difficulty would be welcome for those who want it. Again, though Fallout NV was heavily flawed, I still loved how they handled the mechanics and modes. Buggy as all hell, but it had some really neat ideas.

QUESTS:

I agree with factions, but again, if you only have 2 million to spend on a project (if that)... then you have to sacrifice somewhere. The dark brotherhood in oblivion was funny as hell, but many quests had one way to do it... an optional objective, but still, there was one choice. You couldn't spare the dude, you had to knife him in the end. A lot of your ideas regarding quests (the guy who made a huge post before me on this) make sense. Others here call for some ridiculous crap that would never work in the game. More choices to solve a quest would be nice, and I surely want to do more for a guild before they basically toss me the leadership if I want it... but think of it from a developer stand point. You have to make a game in a couple of years. In that time, you not only have to make a main quest with fully voiced characters and unique dialogue options for male and female characters, you have to expand the mythos of the franchise, write little things like books, notes, character personalities for quests. You also have to change the style of the area you are working in, scenery, design quests and quest areas, non quest dungeon areas, enemies, abilities of enemies, abilities of the player and expand on the mythos of that power, add unique crafting mechanics and a viable means to get materials, weapon and armor grades, overhaul the current system to make a new, more efficient one... we haven't even gotten to the factions yet or the radiant quests...

Do you start to understand why there are limited things in this game? A modder has hours of his own sweet ass time to do whatever he/she/it wants. TIME is MONEY and if you add in arbitrary crap, you just wasted money. Again, you don't know how people are going to LIKE YOUR ADDITIONAL CONTENT so you have to make it the most likeable for the most people. Most of what you guys want is very specific stuff that the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT IN ALL ACTUALITY. Catering to a small portion of a community (when you are gaining fans because you are on multiple platforms) is the most RETARDED way to run a business. Seriously. Bell curve people. Always cater to the largest demographic while giving the minority tolerable conditions.

The combat in morrowind SUCKED. I'm sorry... it was absolutely ATROCIOUS. If I swing my sword through someone, it is a HIT not matter what. End of story. No dice rolls or "fate points"... and you people talk about immersion and realism in the same breath... LOL.

Guild requirements is a good thing as well. Again, that guy who made the huge post before me was SPOT ON about a lot of mechanics. people like HIM and the OP I am not very concerned about. Its those who are ungrateful that really irk me.

A lot of you don't really consider the real amount of work that gets put into a major game release and have no real idea of just how hard it is to get something to not only be done on time, but be quality enough to make a heap of cash to overtake the investment. They cannot give you everything you want. This is Bethesda, not a candy store.

The bottom line is, yes, there are weird things in this game... but as it is, it is a great game. Much better than most of what is out there, and most of you (I hope since you are on the nexus) are on the PC where you can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. INstead of whining like a spoiled child, DL the CK and tools to mod, and get to work. Yes, you are a customer, and yes, to some degree you should be heard about GAME BREAKING BUGS but other than that... what you suggest AS WELL AS MYSELF is in the end AN OPINION THAT IS SUBJECTIVE AND NOT WHAT THE MAJORITY WANTS.

What most of you are experiencing is called the False Consensus. Most people do NOT hold our opinions. THey may agree generally, but when it gets deeper than that, there is no solidarity, or a lack of it in any case.

You people whine about the game sucking when there are MODS that ADDRESS these ISSUES of yours. I'm dead serious. Bethesda even release HD textures as DLC for PC users... what the hell are you going on about? There's no more than about a heaping stack of ENBs, Texture packs (WATER is one that comes to mind), combat overhauls, realism mods (FrostFall Hypothermia), AI overhauls, new armor, weapons, QUESTS WITH MULTIPLE ENDINGS, one of which is amazing that rebuilds Helgen where you can choose what allegiance it has if any. Seriously... what the HELL is the problem? To be on the platform with the mods and to whine about how you just think the game sucks so bad. Like Hem in that Who Moved My Cheese? Book. Climb on the boat and get to safety or just stay there in misery while the majority of us download or create mods to change the game how we want.

Be THANKFUL for that. Not all games get a creation kit.

Also, because most of your ideas are SUBJECTIVE (like MINE) they are probably not the BEST thing EVER. Just like MY IDEAS are SUBJECTIVE. Game companies see complaints like this and probably facepalm. They don't need more ideas, they have their own innovations, although they no doubt take some of the best of the best in mods and implement them. My Good Eye, a modder here, has some amazing mods, another guy made an ammo creation mechanic that was no doubt the brain child for Fallout NV. Those are good ideas. Most are CRAP ideas, that's how it is... a few are really good, most are not worth pursuing and are not realistic in scope.

Look at the average modder's page for a mod description and what do you find? I mean like Warzones: Civil Unrest, SkyRe, SkyUI, W.A.T.E.R., UFO, etc... they don't say:

"I made this game because Bethesda is lazy and made a broken, pretty much worthless cookie cutter RPG."

they say something like:

"I wanted to make this mod to reflect how I envisioned the game, and how I wanted to play the game. Thanks for Bethesda for making a great game"

See how that is different? Hopefully so.

Some things like rain clipping through a porch cover on the main world cell doesn't rustle my jimmies like the rest of you guys for some reason. It's annoying, yeah, but i'm not losing sleep over it... Jesus, it's a tiny thing. You should probably look for the bigger picture. Play some games like Sonic Free Riders, Green Lantern, (basically any movie inspired game), hell, even Mass Effect 3. With that game, I bet people were fuming over it, but you guys alluded to something, that there was a way to ALTER the ending of the Main Quest with a MOD. Be thankful that that was possible due to modders and the CK, etc...

My point is, instead of badgering Bethesda for this and that like a little kid, DO SOMETHING about your predicament. You have all the tools at your disposal. Didn't Ghandi say something like "become the change you wish to see"? If you want Bethesda to take note, make an amazing mod that everyone loves and they will probably look into incorporating it some how if it really is good like the Follower Wheel or the Ammo Type thing in FNV.

Oh, but what, that would be TOO DARN HARD wouldnt it? To actually put in WORK to make a CHANGE that you want to see, is that it? In REAL LIFE for all you immersion buffs, people had to slave and sacrifice for real change to happen. So it remains here. Work really hard on something amazing, put your heart and soul in it, get together with like minded people and send that amazing mod off to bethesda. That's a MUCH better way of going about this rather than whining about how this or that sucks (SUBJECTIVE).

Instead of complaining about how it was just too darn sucky to get around, the Wright Brothers kept at it until the airplane was a reality. This is a challenge for you, and something that you alone can decide whether you really want it to change or not. Many people, the modders here, have already chipped away at the mechanics they didn't agree with in game. THey have my respect for that. It's time for you to do the same.

Again, Bethesda is not god, they don't make perfect games, and I can understand your frustration as I HAVE AGREED ON SEVERAL OF YOUR POINTS. They make mistakes, but admit it... What other game has such a deep mythos, such amazing potential as the elder scrolls series? The lore is unreal in quality, the settings, races, explanations, and culture along with the religions is something that is fascinating. Its not perfect, but damn if I'll have anyone spit on something that has gotten rave reviews from many people, and for the incredible amount of work Bethesda GENEROUSLY shares with us. We never had to have Elderscrolls, Bethesda thought others would enjoy their idea and work, and made it into a reality.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Post and thanks for your Valid Points :smile:

Just wondering, how will Bethesda collect the Ideas for TESVI

I mean People are Already talking about what they want, so are the Ideas Immediately Collected and then a Small Group is making TESVI while the other Team is Releasing the so called New Adventure (Assuming its Fallout 4 witch i have 0% interest in)

I mean lets say its 4 Years later, do we have to Re-tell All our Ideas again.

Edited by daventry

A "Fame" meter that closes as many doors as it opens. In Skyrim this would mean, for instance, that becoming the Archmage of Winterhold or a Stormcloak Officer would mean there's no chance in Seven Hells you're going to defraud your way into the Thalmor Embassy. It would, in other words, break things and be problematic if it wasn't built into the game and accounted for right from the beginning.

Heh, Delphine would be really angry at you: "As much time as you've spent strutting around calling yourself 'The Dragonborn' I don't think there's anyone left in Skyrim who doesn't know who you are. We'll need another plan to get you into the Embassy."

Fame would solve the "Master of All Guilds" problem to some degree: are the Companions going to let the Archmage of Winterhold join their band of mercenaries? If Kodlak talks to the Archmage it's going to be leader-to-leader, something like, "I was hoping your College might perform a task more suited to you than to us." Then he asks for you to do stuff, like enchant weapons or kill some vampires or brew some potions or whatever. In return you could give him a mission like "Here's a dagger of soul trapping. Tell your companions to fill these soul gems when they can." That's how the Companions would interact with the Archmage of Winterhold.

Why would Brynjolf ever think the Harbinger of the Companions would soil his honor with petty crime? Brynjolf should try to sell the Harbinger a bottle of tonic, not enlist him in a pathetic scheme for the Thieves' Guild.

It's ridiculously complicated to work out all the interrelationships, but it would certainly make the game feel more immersive if the player's actions established an identity that actually meant something to the rest of the world.

After reading a lot of this thread, I will not comment directly toward anyone's post other wise my post would turn out to way too long.

Bethesda already does a good job with their games. If they did a bad job, we wouldn't be playing them. I trust them to deliver a great game when the time comes. I also hope they don't listen to every thing each fan says. A good developer has to know when to listen and when to not listen. If they decided to listen to everyone's idea and implement it, we would have a pile of trash.

I have seen some great ideas in this thread, but I also have seen some ideas that are horrible.

An example, taking out auto health regen is not more realistic and is a bad idea. Wounds try to heal automatically in real life. You can get a cut and do nothing and it will heal over time. Now I will say they can certainly greatly slow it down in the game to make it more realistic. A better system would be to auto heal unless the wound is to deep to do so. Maybe even have it take days to fully heal. Taking it out completely, is stupid. Lets say I go out of town and some how get hurt and I am lost. I feel if I continue forward or try to head back now I would be killed. I will rest for the night and heal my wounds a bit .... Oh wait! I can't do that! I am screwed! In real life you can do that, so why not in the game?

Anyway, I expect Bethesda to do what they feel will make a great game, and not what everyone else "thinks" will make it better.

About the console rant: more people can afford a console than a "gaming rig", but more people can afford A pc than a console (because they need a PC anyway). Hence the immense success of games like League of Legends. These semi-indie semi-mass market games are the future.

AAAAA titles won't survive long, and deservedly so.

--

Realism? LOL. In a realistic fantasy RPG, there would be no such thing as weapon damage numbers. You get hit = you die. This would probably involve some sort of stamina mechanic replacing health, so you automatically block incoming attacks until the meter runs out. Same result, but implemented in a realistic way.

No RPG with a health meter can be "realistic", which means no RPG so far has been realistic.

All I really see here is a list of your favorite mods, and mods you'd like to see made.. If you like skyrim modded a certain way, mod it that way, don't 'demand' that they make a new game which is just like this one with mods you personally like installed.

You do make some good points, but the TES team has always taken popular mods into account when making their own games, so I don't see point in listing your personal favorites. I have my own personal favorites too, and I wouldn't expect anyone on the TES team to take my personal taste or opinions any higher then anyone else's. I also don't think TES 6 will be that much 'better' then Skyrim, in fact it will likely be largely the same execution, and if it's not, then it could be upwards of a decade before we see it, and if that's the case then there isn't much point in discussing what might be in it. It would be like discussing what the PS5 will be like, when it comes down to it, there is no information, no one has any clue at all what anything in the game will be like, and odds are no matter what suggestion or guess you make, you'll be wrong.

Honestly, most of the things you mentioned are trivial, and a matter of taste. The only real thing that the TES team needs to worry about is the story. The story got worse in Oblivion, and it got MUCH worse in Skyrim, to the point where it's barely even telling a story any more. From a franchise that was originally based off telling stories, this is unacceptable, and if they keep up this path, TES 6 could be that last elder scrolls. They really need to go back to Morrowind's method of story telling, where one quest line can stop another from progressing, it's impossible to accomplish everything on just one character, and everything tells a complex interwoven story that you have to dig into to really understand. In skyrim, you just get spoon fed a story that can be summed up in 2 lines that makes it sound like a child's story book, where every major questline, including the main one, can be knocked out in just a couple hours, with no real reward or sense of accomplishment. And worst of all, no mystery. That's what always hooked me in TES, no matter WHAT I discovered or accomplished, I was ALWAYS left wondering SOMETHING. Skyrim leaves nothing open for interpretation. The dragons are bad. They kill things, they want to end the world. You stop them. The end. Good bye.

A Link to my Thread has also been Posted onto the Official Bethesda Forum by a Friend, but please Repost this Thread there since they have a New Section.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1458226-official-beyond-skyrim-tes-vi-22/page-2?do=findComment&comment=22615852

PC vs Xbox vs Playstation

Please make an Actual Game for those Platforms instead of Porting the Xbox to the PC and Playstation

Given what I had seen for the PS4 and the XBone, I think it is safe to say that it won't be on the XBone.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ekOtn7L1N0
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ryB-hdtpQRw

You should spend sometime consulting with me, since I have a good idea on what would make a really good game.

Edited by ElvenHeroine

I recently started playing Skyrim again. I had taken about an 8 month break because I was playing another game. Playing Fallout - New Vegas for 8 months made me much better at selecting and installing mods. I have never found the environment in Skyrim to be objectionable. To me, the gameplay system in Skyrim is just another system to learn and exploit. There are mods for almost anything a person would care to change, so I change what I don't like. I only fire up the CK when I see something I don't like that doesn't have a mod already. I have my own tastes about the appearance of the player character and certain NPC's. I couldn't care less about most of them, though.

When it comes to playing the main quest, I don't mind starting it right off the bat. Once I get the golden claw mission, though, I do as I please and control the pacing of the MQ, myself. I guess I can do that because I know what everything is and where it is, as well. When I first played, everything was new and shiny, so that was a completely different experience than the one I'm enjoying now. I sleep every night, got to temple every morning, eat at least two meals a day, never fast travel, yada, yada, yada. By the way, I am a milkdrinker, in and out of the game. I remove the healing components of milk and spring water, because I didn't need or want them. If I were going to have milk and water do anything, it would be stronger bones and whiter teeth. lol. My point is there are as many ways to play the game as there are people playing.

The guilds are problematic for me. Some of them, I don't care if the entire bunch falls into the sky. Others I would like to see better, just not enough to get off my fundament and fix. For instance, I would like an option to force Aela to take the cure. Just not enough to code it. If I were going to do anything on a grand scale, I would weave the Companions and the Blades together and into the Main Quest and Civil War. The rest of the guilds, I can live with a casual relationship if not a straight antagonistic relationship. I have "Kill the Thieves Guild" downloaded, but have never activated it yet. I usually do the things that lean towards destroying certain bad actor's that I won't name because this is a non-spoiler forum.

The one thing I would change in the game is the way the player gets an evil or nothing when dealing with the Daedra. Given any choice, I would hunt them all down and kill them. Now there's a mod someone should code. I don't care if they don't die forever. A thousand years seems reasonable to me. There are other little things that I would have done differently, but I enjoy the game too much to get very bent out of shape over any of it. I'm not much of a predictor, but I predict I will enjoy the next one, too.

That's my two mil worth ( A mil is a tenth of a penny, if you didn't know.). In other words, it is worth what you paid to get it. Or less.