Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #64274346. #64278176, #64279141, #64280511 are all replies on the same post.

CyanideInsanity wrote: Does anyone have a guide for idiots for importing a mods archive from nmm and for creating the storage location? Because I'm completely missing something unless there is no way to have my downloaded but currently unused mods set like nmm where I have my entire mod archive for every game on one drive and the game+installed mods on the separate game drive. And that there is no way for FO4 and VR to share the same download folder.
DigitalWraith wrote: Open Vortex and go to the downloads section. Open the directory that holds all the mods you downloaded for NMM. Select and drag the zip files to the box that says 'Drop URL(s) or File(s)' and let go, it will download/transfer them to the list. You can probably do the same with files from the Nexus, only you'd be dragging the address to that little box.

Beyond that, I am mystified because Vortex doesn't seem to categorize them by the game they are attached to. I know they do it, but aside from the download section, I can't view the mods. All Skyrim lets me do is start the game, not view the mods I installed for it.
CyanideInsanity wrote: Thanks for the help. Looks like its still not time for me to even bother with vortex.
arnieberg wrote: Same here.. I'll wait for it to come out of beta. 5 years maybe?

TBH I wouldn't care much if it wasn't for "it’s currently very stable and we’re confident enough in both its abilities and its state to make it the primary mod manager of Nexus Mods.".

Though I feel the fact that the download directory needs to be empty is the root of my problems.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64272421. #64273976, #64275121 are all replies on the same post.

pefragoso wrote: Well, I have been using Vortex since it was made possible to download by regular joes (me included).
I can say that I like Vortex better than NMM, since the threshold for learning it was a lot lower than NMM, and bear in mind that there aren't that many tutorials out there like there are for NMM. Here are my reasons:

1) Since it does a lot of automatic stuff in a smart way, I don't need to worry about checking or moving the load order manually, Vortex does all the dirty work for me, and this is something I value a lot.
2) It has symbiosis with LOOT, SSEdit, FNIS and Bodyslide that makes it super easy to access those programs, maybe some can claim the same way as NMM, but I found it better.
3) I like that you can set different profiles, which you can use to have different "tastes" on your game, and easily change between profiles, that will change all the mods with the click of one button. And this feature never broke my installation, despite my amateur use of it.
4) The user interface is waaaaaaaaay better than NMM, but some "getting used to" is required
5) The dependencies engine rules :)

All in all I think it is a great software, and beats NMM a million billion times.
Thank you guys from Nexus for making such a great tool and sharing it with the world :)
BigBizkit wrote: Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, pefragoso! You touch upon a few things that have been central goals of Vortex development such as using smart automation to lift the burden off of modders. I am sure our Vortex devs will appreciate the nice words. ;)
DragonAgeNut wrote: Hi BigBizkit,
You guys deserve the positive feedback. I've used both NMM and Mod Manager on Skyrim LE and downloaded Skyrim SE as soon as Vortex was made available in alpha. Since then, I've regularly kept Vortex updated and all mods and settings flowed easily from one update to the next. My game currently has 295 active mods and it all works.
As a program, Vortex combines the best elements of NMM and Mod Manager with a user interface that's modern, clean and rich with features. It's like the perfect child of two software parents.
Thank you for taking the time and resources to create this fabulous new tool! :-)

Well said pefragoso ... I too jumped on Vortex alpha and never looked back. I used NMM for a very long time and while it was terrific back in the day it was certainly time to move on. Of course Vortex must be approached with an open mind as it is not the same old NMM in a new wrapper. I would consider myself an advanced NMM user but to me the Vortex learning curve was very simple to navigate. I agree completely with all of your 5 points. Additionally, the thing that hooked me was the little things. So many times while using NMM I would think how great it would be to have this or that simple feature. For example, the fundamental ability to sort data by column. Doesn't sound like much but when your trying to manage 230 mods it really is super helpful. The other thing is problem solving. NMM definitely required "tribal knowledge" to effectively correct issues ... Vortex has problem solving capabilities light years beyond NMM. Problem solving is so fast that you'll spend more time in game as opposed to more time in the mod manager.
So, I hope all will keep an open mind and try Vortex, being sure to stick with it long enough to transcend the learning curve, which as I said above, is not difficult at all. The reward is a much more stable game and more time to play it.
Thanks to the entire team and especially Tannin for delivering a truly forward looking, state of the art product ... well done.

In response to post #64242756. #64243356, #64247481, #64248361, #64267641, #64267676, #64268121, #64273936 are all replies on the same post.

DoverWolf wrote: cant import my mods from NMM 65.2 with vortex
Pickysaurus wrote: It can import from NMM 0.63+
DoverWolf wrote: I get this error when trying to import from NMM
No NMM install found with mods for this game. please note only nmm 0.63 is supported
0Anesthetic4u wrote: No it gets mods from .63-.
DoverWolf wrote: Well that sucks they need to add 0.65 support
Tannin42 wrote: It can import from any NMM version starting with 0.63, including 0.65.
However it may be having problems with certain games, which game are you trying to import?
Also: You need to have the game active inside vortex that you want to import, you can't import fo4 mods if you have skyrim activated for example.
DoverWolf wrote: Skyrim SSE

How do i add the game active inside vortex?
tjcinfinite wrote: I'm having the same problem, "no nmm install found" any ideas how to fix it? Vortex finds all my plugins but nothing in mods and can't import since it's acting as if I dont have NMM installed.

Odd, Skyrim SE should definitively work.
Please create a forum post so we don't have to investigate this in a comments section.

Thanks for the news! I am going to stay with NMM until i finish updating my SSE mods and i beat the game for the first time.

The next run will be all about Vortex, SKSE, and probably my ending as modder.

:D

In response to post #64264046. #64265726, #64266996 are all replies on the same post.

hgrunt wrote: Vortex is good mod manager, however I'm still not figured how to move plugins in mod list. :(
Pickysaurus wrote: You don't need to, LOOT will sort them correctly for you :) You can set rules or groups for specific plugins, or if you insist you can lock the load index by double-clicking and setting the property.
hgrunt wrote: Thank You for answer.

@hgrunt I really like the auto sort, but I had times I needed to manually move plugins in the load order. I just drag the dependencies icon from one plugin and drop it on the one next to it. This opens up a dialog box with drop down list allow you to make whatever load changes you need. The day I discovered this I was sold on Vortex. I am running 400 plus mods, Batch Patch, Merged Patch, and some esl files. My game has been running smooth. Vortex has allowed me to really look how my mods work together. I have been using Vortex for a couple of months. During the learning faze I wondered why I moved from NMM. Now I wonder why I stayed with NMM so long...lol Edited by ctuck61

I truly like the UI and the functionalities of Vortex, it's masterfully done.

The only problem I have is with the download folder: I am not sure I get how it works. I play Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and I understand that the download folder is the same for both games; am I misunderstanding, or that means that any mod I download will be put together in the same folder, indifferently by the game to which it belongs? If that's the case, I'd rather have two different download folder for my games, in order to keep FNV and Skyrim mods separated from each other.

In response to post #64285051.

ghaladh wrote: I truly like the UI and the functionalities of Vortex, it's masterfully done.
The only problem I have is with the download folder: I am not sure I get how it works. I play Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and I understand that the download folder is the same for both games; am I misunderstanding, or that means that any mod I download will be put together in the same folder, indifferently by the game to which it belongs? If that's the case, I'd rather have two different download folder for my games, in order to keep FNV and Skyrim mods separated from each other.

Vortex should create a different folder for every game in the download folder.

In response to post #64242756. #64243356, #64247481, #64248361, #64267641, #64267676, #64268121, #64273936, #64283371 are all replies on the same post.

No NMM install found with mods for this game. please note only nmm 0.63 is supported
Tannin42 wrote: It can import from any NMM version starting with 0.63, including 0.65.
However it may be having problems with certain games, which game are you trying to import?
Also: You need to have the game active inside vortex that you want to import, you can't import fo4 mods if you have skyrim activated for example.

tjcinfinite wrote: I'm having the same problem, "no nmm install found" any ideas how to fix it? Vortex finds all my plugins but nothing in mods and can't import since it's acting as if I dont have NMM installed.
Tannin42 wrote: Odd, Skyrim SE should definitively work.
Please create a forum post so we don't have to investigate this in a comments section.

Also same issue "no nmm install found".. could it be that vortex cant find nmm if nmm is not installed in the default directory (like f:\modding\tools\nmm) ?

In response to post #64242756. #64243356, #64247481, #64248361, #64267641, #64267676, #64268121, #64273936, #64283371, #64288171 are all replies on the same post.

Tannin42 wrote: Odd, Skyrim SE should definitively work.
triplex2011 wrote: Also same issue "no nmm install found".. could it be that vortex cant find nmm if nmm is not installed in the default directory (like f:\modding\tools\nmm) ?

Vortex doesn't look for the NMM installation directory but for the user.config files below %LOCALAPPDATA%\Black_Tree_Gaming and I'm not aware that you could change where those are stored.