Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I don't want to rob you of your illusions, but I really don't care for your thoughts and comments. They offer nothing in terms of content that could appeal to me in any way

Ok? Want a cookie?

That's like saying the Tolkien estate doesn't own The Lord of the Rings because Terry Brooks wrote a blatant ripoff of it.

As long as you do it yourself, you can cover all the same concepts without issue. If that includes setting changes you can make the same ones. If it involves writing code, you'd need to do it yourself from scratch, or using code that's been released for reuse.

As you said (and as US copyright law also says) you can't copyright a concept.

But mod ownership isn't about owning the concept (a few authors have tried to make it so, but it's not true), it's about owning the work. If someone else wants to put in the work to make a mod that does what someone else's mod already does, that's their choice, and there's nothing wrong with it. But if they take even one of the original mod's assets to do it, they're in violation.

As an example, my mod adds signs and posters to the Fallout 4 settlement menus. It uses modified or custom meshes, and public domain, licensed, or custom art. Another mod can also add signs or posters (and a number do - great, more variety!). They can even use the same public domain or licensed art (minus any modifications I've made). But they can't swipe my meshes or custom art, they need to make their own.

To explain why I said modding ownership is flimsy (not literally) is because, what's the point? When an artist creates something, people can't just come along and one day recreate it legally even if they were to remove it from somewhere. The most they could do is create a knockoff, similar but not similar enough to be against copyright. Whereas as a mod, can work identically. From a practical sense it's just literally the same mod, just created by someone else. It's really only under the hood that it would be different. Going back to art, even if an artists goes through the process of repainting something, as in they put in all the work and recreated the painting .. it would still be seen as copyright infringement, it doesn't even matter if their process was different than the original artists process, or if they used different painting methods, types of paint, or whatever. They wouldn't be allowed to recreate an identical one without it being a problem.

So if someone removes their mod and another comes along and recreates it ... wouldn't it irritate you if your mod falls into obscurity and the new one becomes the mod everyone uses? Keeping your mod on the site may mean losing the ability to delete, but at least your name is still attached to the mod. Whereas removing it could mean someone comes along, recreates it and you are just ... forgotten.

This of course is all under the assumption Nexus continues on and remains the most popular. But only time will tell if that's going to be the case.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copyright law is copyright law, irrespective of the opinions of any individual copyright holder.

No, actually each copyright holder is allowed to choose how they uphold their copyright. Which to be frank, should be obvious given they are the copyright holder, aka the owner of it.

People are very welcome to look at my profile and on my picture section and try to recreate my stuffâ¦xD

Very WELCOME!!! Yes because we are all forgotten, and thatâs why people still after all this years search for SG hair. And what if people are so forgotten - so exchangeable like you say, then your whole point of mod preservation is meaningless as you just argumented against your own argument.

But anyway this whole thread mutated to Bunnyâs blog. Bunnyâs daily epiphanies. Bunnyâs feelings and impressions.

But this whole thing isnât about Bunny. Itâs about nexus and how they implemented some major TOS changes without people knowing and about mod authors rights that get violated.

If bunny wants a Thread about herself, her epiphanies, feelings and worries, bunny maybe should open her own thread.

But anyway this whole thread mutated to Bunnyâs blog. Bunnyâs daily epiphanies. Bunnyâs feelings and impressions.

But this whole thing isnât about Bunny. Itâs about nexus and how they implemented some major TOS changes without people knowing and about mod authors rights that get violated.

If bunny wants a Thread about herself, her epiphanies, feelings and worries, bunny maybe should open her own thread.

I only have 2 posts within the last 2 - 3 pages (3 now). Stop exaggerating.

"Whereas removing it could mean someone comes along, recreates it and you are just ... forgotten."

That to me sounds like you are telling moders to resign their work and obey, that seems a bit twisted and out of place... seems also like a huge coping mechanism, since a lot of the great mods are not really something you can "recreate", specially now with the ball and chain as a rule, the potential people that could recreate those mods which require insanely amounts of work will not even consider posting them here... Also the big deal here is that most of the mods on the Nexus database where basically stolen from their creators now, since they gave a short period of time to sent an email and ask for their deletion most authors are not even aware of what is happening and when they realize and ask for answers are gonna be told: "Soowwiiee ... we gave you time to ask us to delete your files and you didn't do it in time..", is such a scummy and dishonorable way to do it.

the potential people that could recreate those mods which require insanely amounts of work will not even consider posting them here...

How would you know that? There are plenty of mod authors that remain here, and many who will still be willing to post here. Who says they are not capable of that? Who says some mod authors may not work together to do it?

With that said, I do agree. Bigger mods are not likely to be affected by what I am talking about. And even more so for mods that are fairly original and contain a lot of custom assets.

It's really just the smaller to medium mods that I think could have something like this occur. I even used my own mod as an example, since it's relatively easy to create and doesn't have any assets in it that I could say are mine.

And my main reason for bringing this up is just to bring it up, in case some didn't consider it as it's related to what many authors are doing right now.

214 mods gone from my list of downloads, and that's not counting the old (and I mean OLD) mods that were deleted before all this started back in 2019. The numbers must be interesting.

@LeelooMinai - you still pay attention to that person? I blocked long ago.

"How would you know that? There are plenty of mod authors that remain here, and many who will still be willing to post here. Who says they are not capable of that? Who says some mod authors may not work together to do it?
With that said, I do agree. Bigger mods are not likely to be affected by what I am talking about. And even more so for mods that are fairly original and contain a lot of custom assets."

Because the way all this was implemented was in a SNEAKY, DISHONORABLE and SHADY manner, most of those authors you mention are not even aware of what's happening, and when they get to know about all this it would be to late for them to do anything about it...

Copyright law is copyright law, irrespective of the opinions of any individual copyright holder.

No, actually each copyright holder is allowed to choose how they uphold their copyright. Which to be frank, should be obvious given they are the copyright holder, aka the owner of it.

Cut the crap. THE LAW IS THE LAW. PERIOD.

That copyright owners can license and defend their work as they see fit does not change the law.